Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ethereal

IMPORTANT - Accutane Dosage And Relapse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The total dose, that is, the total amount taken over the whole treatment period should be not less than 120mg per kg of body weight for long lasting benefit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this statement on another site. I wonder if it's true. I just finished my forth month and i'm 95% clear, hopefully 100 will arrive on the fifth. But, being my weight 60kg, and having done 3 month at 30mg day and 1 month a 40mg, i would still have to do at least

TOTAL I HAVE TO DO

60kg x 120mg = 7200 mg

TOTAL I HAVE DONE TIL NOW

(30days x 30mg)x3month +(30 days x 40mg)x 1month = 3900mg

TOTAL I HAVE TO TAKE

7200mg - 3900mg = 3300

which, at 40mg daily, would be 82 days, so 2month and 20 days.

So done, my course would be of nearly 7 month. Do you think this statement is right?

I would really like to know it, because (as you might imagine) i'm enjoying my skin (even if there are red marks), and i would like it to stay clear (forever smile.gif ).

Ah, i'm a male of 21 years, before accutane i had moderate acne, and my doctor said that probably acne would have passed on its own in the netx 4-5 years. So i need only not to have a relapse before those years.

Sorry for being so long, I hope you'll find interesting this article. Thx biggrin.gif

Following what most research has shown, you probably should have been taking 60mg/day for a four-month course. However, I'm guessing your dermatologist put you only on 40mg because you only have moderate acne.

Most dermatologists generally abide by the 'total dosage' rule. That's why they think that, if your acne recurs after a first course, a second course will clear you completely for life.

However, that has not been the case for me. I've been on three courses, and each successive course has been less successful than the previous one. I'm not complaining - Accutane is the only thing that has completely cleared me. Just saying that my experience (which is atypical) hasn't supported what most acne researcheres have concluded.

Also, for some strange reason, people who have only moderate acne tend to relapse more than people with mild or severe acne.

I read about the total doseage too, my derm told me that i would be put on 1mg per kg, i weighed 65kg so i'm on 65mg roaccutane a day for four months. It is weird the way people get different side effects.

I didnt have too big a breakout, and the side effects I experienced in the first couple of months have passed.

It def has worked and my acne was mild persistant, I dont understand why some people are put on low doseages to start with.

The total dose, that is, the total amount taken over the whole treatment period should be not less than 120mg per kg of body weight for long lasting benefit.

I saw this statement on another site. I wonder if it's true. I just finished my forth month and i'm 95% clear, hopefully 100 will arrive on the fifth. But, being my weight 60kg, and having done 3 month at 30mg day and 1 month a 40mg, i would still have to do at least

TOTAL I HAVE TO DO

60kg x 120mg =  7200 mg

TOTAL I HAVE DONE TIL NOW

(30days x 30mg)x3month +(30  days x 40mg)x 1month = 3900mg

TOTAL I HAVE TO TAKE

7200mg - 3900mg = 3300

which, at 40mg daily, would be 82 days, so 2month and 20 days.

So done, my course would be of nearly 7 month. Do you think this statement is right?

I would really like to know it, because (as you might imagine) i'm enjoying my skin (even if there are red marks), and i would like it to stay clear (forever  smile.gif ).

Ah, i'm a male of 21 years, before accutane i had moderate acne, and my doctor said that probably acne would have passed on its own in the netx 4-5 years. So i need only not to have a relapse before those years.

Sorry for being so long, I hope you'll find interesting this article. Thx  biggrin.gif

I still don't understand why americans dont use the metric system...

Anyway:

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds

:. you should be taking 1mg every 2.2 pounds

Or around .5mg per pound (.46mg/pound to be exact)

Prettybow - if you've been on Accutane four times, then I'm pretty darn sure that you've passed the threshold for 'curing'. Research has shown total cumulative dosage *over your lifetime* should be the metric by which you determine the long-lasting effectiveness of Accutane.

I think we're in the same boat - Accutane just has 'cured' us like it has other people. I don't think an additional course would help you in the long term.