Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to compile all of our experiences on one post to help out those who have many questions about birth control pills in relation to acne. Please give your input :)

1) Which birth control do you take?

2) Did it help with your acne?

3) Did you have an initial breakout and if so how long did it last and how bad was it?

4) How long until you started seeing a large improvement in your acne?

5) How long have you been taking it and is it still working for you today?

6) Do you or did you have any strange side effects?

7) Have you had hormone testing to determine whether or not your acne is hormonal? If so, which hormones were out of balance?

Please answer as many questions as you can.

Thanks everyone!

I went on BC for one month for my acne. I don't remember which one it was...probably one of the common acne-fighting ones. Anyway, it made my blood pressure go sky high. I think the nurses thought I would have a stroke right there in the office. Needless to say, they made me stop right away.

The moral of the story is: if you have high/borderline blood pressure already, you might want to avoid the type of BC that can raise it or if you're going to go on that type, make sure to get your blood pressure tested often.

1) Dianette

2) The first time around it helped greatly. I'm currently on my fourth pack second time around and it's helping but not as quickly and as well as it did last time but I trust it to work.

3) I don't remember having an initial breakout either time. Maybe a small one but I'm always using topicals. I was using Isotrexin (Isotretinoin and Erythromycin) first time around but had been for a year. I am using Zindaclin (Clindamycin and Zinc) now which helps with inflammation as far as I can tell. I suppose I had "controlled" IBs.

4) Month 3 first time around. Slowly seeing an improvement but it's hard to see second time around.

5) 1 year first time and as I said I'm on my fourth pack second-time around.

6) Nope!

7) No but I'm a 19 year old girl - there's gotta be some hormonal aspect to it.

Note: I took Yaz in between my two rounds of Dianette and my face went crazy. It was the worst it's ever been and was very cyclical. I broke out every two weeks on Yaz. It also made my periods very inpredictable which was very uncomfortable for me as I hate waiting for my monthly wondering if I could be pregnant. I would never ever take Yaz again!

1) Orthro Tri Cyclin (generic: tri sprintec)

2) Nope, well at least not noticebly

3) Not that i know of..

4) Didn't really see a change...

5) Ive been taking it for almost 2 years, still works for regulating my periods

6) I don't think so. I did gain weight when i went on it.

7) Nope, but i am on Spiro, another hormonal medicine for acne.

hey, quick question for you ladies taking bcp for acne. do you have to start the first sunday of your period, or can you start on a sunday even though you havent had your period yet? theres alot of mixed answers, and the nurse practitioner said i could start this sunday w/out having my period yet, but i want to be sure it is still effective if i do this.....

hey, quick question for you ladies taking bcp for acne. do you have to start the first sunday of your period, or can you start on a sunday even though you havent had your period yet? theres alot of mixed answers, and the nurse practitioner said i could start this sunday w/out having my period yet, but i want to be sure it is still effective if i do this.....

AFAIK it doesn't matter. Most people start the Sunday after their period for convenience. That way your period will "stay on track" to what it originally was. I suppose you might have a greater chance of spotting that first month if you don't wait for your period. Also the Sunday thing is just so that your period will be over by the weekend. That's what I was told anyway.

I'll do a couple of posts for the birth control I've tried.

1) Which birth control do you take? Used to take Yaz.

2) Did it help with your acne? Yes.

3) Did you have an initial breakout and if so how long did it last and how bad was it? No.

4) How long until you started seeing a large improvement in your acne? ~ 2 months.

5) How long have you been taking it and is it still working for you today? I took it for about 8 months and it worked well the whole time.

6) Do you or did you have any strange side effects? It gave me terrible headaches when taking the placebo pills and I felt pretty angry most of the time.

7) Have you had hormone testing to determine whether or not your acne is hormonal? If so, which hormones were out of balance? No.

Here's one more.

1) Which birth control do you take? Used to take Ortho tri cyclen lo

2) Did it help with your acne? Yes and no. I had less papules and pustules but I would get nodules on my chin. Didn't help comedonal forehead acne.

3) Did you have an initial breakout and if so how long did it last and how bad was it? No.

4) How long until you started seeing a large improvement in your acne? The changes showed the second month.

5) How long have you been taking it and is it still working for you today? I took it for three months, not very long I know. I stopped taking because it was making my acne worse and there was no generic available and this was expensive for me.

6) Do you or did you have any strange side effects? Decreased libido and some weight gain.

7) Have you had hormone testing to determine whether or not your acne is hormonal? If so, which hormones were out of balance? No.

1) Which birth control do you take? None now as I'm almost 43. When I did, it was the brand Ortho Tricyclen.

2) Did it help with your acne? Yep. Totally clear within two months. Started the Accutane one month after the BCP so it may have been that or just the BCP.

3) Did you have an initial breakout and if so how long did it last and how bad was it? No initial breakout.

4) How long until you started seeing a large improvement in your acne? See above.

5) How long have you been taking it and is it still working for you today? Took it a few years, not using it now.

6) Do you or did you have any strange side effects? Weight gain and moodiness! Totally hated that.

7) Have you had hormone testing to determine whether or not your acne is hormonal? If so, which hormones were out of balance? Yes. All perfectly normal except a critically low vitamin D level. Now I get regular sun exposure AND take a vitamin D3 supplement.