Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unirocker

Scalp Acne - Help plz

Yes its like dying since from many months i am facing this problem. Here are the HD images of what problems i am going through. You can view them they are not obscene or nasty .

http://i28.tinypic.com/2q38arp.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/348k74j.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2wgu0xy.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2j16fqc.jpg

|Description :

1) I am 19 year old youngster and these things are quite painful.

2) I cant brush my hair, nor can I sleep comfortably.

3) They cause intense itching to me and force me to scratch near them.

3) As you can see they contain the yellow sebum called ''puss''.

4) After these pimples burst they leave a red mark behind them.

5) My life has become a mess.

|Some details which would help you solving my problem :

1) I wash my hair every alternate day (i.e Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat)

2) I wash my hair with Betadine A.D Antiseptic shampoo.

3) The day I wash my hair the acne grows again the same day causing more itching.

4) My face is very clean and acne free (not a single spot)

5) I had consulted an dermatologist but every time he gave me just a temporary solution and said there is no permanent cure for this .

6) I dont apply any creams or ointments.

Pls. help me out its really hard for a teenager that he cant let his girlfriend put her hand in his hair.

Edited by unirocker

so many views and no reply :(

i did a little research online. You might want to try an Antidandruff shampoo containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox.

sorry for not being very helpful.

so many views and no reply :(

I'm not saying I have an answer for you but what exactly did your derm say it is? Is it possibly dandruff related?

I can't see the pictures but I have experienced something similar to your descriptions. Mine was caused by my birth control but the hard water we have at home irritated it. I get most of mine around my hairline, and my crown area. And yes they do hurt, specially when you accidentally run a comb through it, UGH!

First, I tried washing my hair every other thinking maybe i was washing my hair too much. Boy was I wrong. It made it worse.

So I switched back to washing it everyday and I also found a cheap shampoo and conditioner that helps, but you have to wash your hair everyday!!! AND if you put hair products in it, you MUST wash it off before going to bed!

The shampoo is called Mane 'n Tale. It's manufactured by a company called Straight Arrow. It's about $6 for a 12 oz bottle. This company also make shampoo & conditioner for horses. Yes, horses! But I don't care, it's cheap and it works. I get it at my local walmart, cvs or walgreens.

ALSO, I use this creme made by Derma E and it's called Skinbiotics Treatment Creme. I have long hair so I normally have to let it air dry to the point when it is just slightly damp then I massage the creme into my scalp. The main ingridient for it is tea tree oil which is a natural antifungal/antiseptic substance. You have to be consistent with this or it will flare up really easily...like within 2 days! I buy mine at my local Nutural Health food store but you can go to dermae.net and use the store locator to find a store near you. At first, I only used this on my back, then one day i thought "what the hell, it can't hurt anymore than it already does"

It takes about 2 weeks to kill existing breakouts. Oh and I hope you dont wear hats or caps, you gotta let your scap breath!!!

I hope that helps. Post back and let me know.

PS: I've also tried Tea shampoo and conditioners but they didn't work as well. I thinking, it must be the other ingridients in it.

Edited by Ariesjla

thanx soccerplayer and Ariesjla for your replies. And just found the prescription given by my dermo.

i) Tab ZEFU 500 mg

ii) Betadine AD wash

iii) Alkem dandrop lotion

iv) Fusiwal wallace sodium fusidate cream

v) Dapsone IP Tab ( anti puss )

After the above dosage i get a tempo releif for a month and then it again reccurs.

The doc says that its a type of infection which is recurring and he says he cant give it a perfect permanent solution to it.

thanx soccerplayer and Ariesjla for your replies. And just found the prescription given by my dermo.

i) Tab ZEFU 500 mg

ii) Betadine AD wash

iii) Alkem dandrop lotion

iv) Fusiwal wallace sodium fusidate cream

v) Dapsone IP Tab ( anti puss )

After the above dosage i get a tempo releif for a month and then it again reccurs.

The doc says that its a type of infection which is recurring and he says he cant give it a perfect permanent solution to it.

Whoah! I don't know what those are but they sound really potent and scary. Well, if you try my regimen you will only loose $30 at the most. Plus sometimes, using mother natures prescriptions are better than the one the Dr.'s give out.

Have you also thought about taking vitamin supplements for your skin? I do, and it does make a difference. Here's what I take

1. GNC Women's Hair, Nail, & Skin formula - all the vitamins that are good for your skin is in here. There's no hormones so it should be fine for you. Or maybe you can find something similar for guys.

2. Zinc 50 mg a day - this helps with inflamation

3. Vitalmin E 1000UIU - this has many purposes, skin, digestive....

4. Saw Palmeto - this helps with inflamation also

@ unirocker

I have bee enjoying scalp acne from 2 years.

i had taken dapsone 100mg for 3.5 months and stopped for no progress and continuing Betadine AD

Now started DoxT 100mg and Lactovit tabs & continuing same shampoo. After 1 month Doc will check the progress and treatment goes on.

One more thing, rec

If any one know the permanent solution plz give .i ll treat him/her as God for sure..

How's everyone doing with their scalp acne? All fixed?

Everyone's skin and issues are different. For me, it's a recent experience but fortunately and hopefully not a permenant one. A few month ago, my hair looked a bit dry. After introducing a new conditioner with jajoba oil, my hair looked great. But after a while, my scalp started developing scalp acne. Like everyone else, it hurt when washing my hair, it hurt when brushing, even hurt when sleeping. When I finally figured out and stopped the conditioner and threw it away, the scalp acne would not stop and my scalp also started to get itching and flaking. I tried a few different dandruff poos, antibiotics and medicated shampoo from the derm which helped a little but not much. Because I usually don't take any medicine, I stopped the antibiotics after a month. I also have been taking vit B and zinc for years but for this case they did not help.

What eventually worked for me was actually diluted ACV (diluated apple cider venigar). I use the diluted toner (4 part cooled chamomile tea and 1 part ACV), plus a sprinkle of epsom salt. Let the toner sits overnight to dissolve the ES. After each shampoo (just my old regular shampoo), I gently massage the diluted toner onto my scalp for 2 minutes and rinse. I felt instant relief but only to a small degree. Since these ingredients are readily available kitchen staples (in the US anyways), I sticked to this everytime I shampoo. During this time, I am careful not to introduce any new haircare products. The problems eventually went away after using this for a few months.

Again, this is not a fix for all. It really depends on what caused the problem and how the skin reacted. If the problem is serious, and a solution from dermotologist works, it's all for the best. But for my case, the ACV toner worked very slowly but surely.