Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chico23

My scars (photos) - any hope?

Hi everyone.

I am 23 and these pics were taken one year ago. I suffered from terrible acne on my cheeks when I was in my teens and still some until my early 20s. Now it's healed to the point that occasional spots show up - or simply there are no more free pores to be clogged. The question is.... my scarring seems to be different from that on other pictures. Is it so severe that nothing can be done about it? I'm particularly concerned about the area which is about 2-3cm from my mouth (you will see a big crater). Please help.

post-133435-1279203603_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279203621_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279203603_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279203621_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of something milder to start with. Do you think a series of TCA cross would work for them? Or maybe they are sooooo severe that only dermabrasion would work? I wouldn't say my skin is really dark. I drink carrot juice daily but when I walk into the sun I get sunburnt after 2-3 hours.

your scars are not as bad as you may think. the main problem with your type of scarring is the tissue loss. your scars are small but they are, we have to face that, deep. fortunately your scars are few.

i would classify your type of scarring as boxcar. tca cross works for deep and rough icepicks. look into subcision, i think thats a good chance for you.

p.s.: and stay away from dermabrasion please!!!

Edited by Emhfali

your scars are not as bad as you may think. the main problem with your type of scarring is the tissue loss. your scars are small but they are, we have to face that, deep. fortunately your scars are few.

i would classify your type of scarring as boxcar. tca cross works for deep and rough icepicks. look into subcision, i think thats a good chance for you.

p.s.: and stay away from dermabrasion please!!!

I agree to stay away from dermabrasion. I've had two dermabrasions. The skin looked very smooth at first, but the scars later reappear because the scar tissue grows at a slower rate than normal tissue. I also have some permanent loss of pigment. It does not show up much because I am fair skinned. Darker skin could have a lot of pigmentation problems.

Try subcision and things to stimulate the growth of collagen, maybe follow with some fillers to smooth things out. Good luck to you.

Hi everyone.

I am 23 and these pics were taken one year ago. I suffered from terrible acne on my cheeks when I was in my teens and still some until my early 20s. Now it's healed to the point that occasional spots show up - or simply there are no more free pores to be clogged. The question is.... my scarring seems to be different from that on other pictures. Is it so severe that nothing can be done about it? I'm particularly concerned about the area which is about 2-3cm from my mouth (you will see a big crater). Please help.

Heres the deal, they are not severe enough that nothing can be done, honestly if you pick a good scar treatment method and stick with it you can help those scars. I have similar scaring and ive seen great improvement with TCA cross and peels, also you might want to look into derma-roll, im researching it currently to add to my routine between TCA peels and cross. Just do some reasearch and start trying some methods, you well find one that works in no time.

I might try dermarolling and TCA cross. Read about the former and seems promising. The problem is that I live in a country where finding a good doctor is a miracle. Doctors here don't really work for patients but for money :(. So far, I've only known one GP who really cared and if something had been wrong, he would send me for tests and talk to me later. He also realised that one medicine might be too expensive and I remember well when he wrote me a prescription and said "if it turns out to be too expensive, feel free to come back". Unfortunately, I had to change a doc (due to health care system requirements) after I turned 18. Also as to derms - I've never visited any coz my acne was very light and what showed up on my cheeks later lasted for about two or three months and then the red marks would gradually wear off.

So since docs work for money, they are most likely to offer lasers (derms) or dermabrasion (plastic surgeons). As far as I know nobody performs subcision here. I'll do some research on TCA cross. Hopefully, I will find someone who does it in my area - I can travell 100-200km but not more.

There is another thing I'm concerned about..... I might be wrong ofc. Namely, will scar tissue always be scar tissue? That is even if the scars are raised, will they always remain scars? Or maybe peels reveal healthy skin bit by bit as they gradually peel off the scars? What's the mechanism behind TCA cross and peels which makes them work? Is it possible to have some sort of skin graft to single scars and would it work naturally?

Ziko - I can feel only one scar with my fingers, and in potos they have to be zoomed and colours and contrast have to be adjusted so that they come out so "well":).

TCA cross won't help, you don't have small 1-2 mm ice picks. These are depressions. Subcision + laser is ideal. 3-4 subcisions and 1-3 fraxel repair should do the job.

Hi Chico

Welcome!

Your scars do seem rather deep so I would suggest subcision and then maybe a moderate depth peel. Good luck. I hope you see some improvements.

I've uploaded avatar so that u can see the whole of my ugly face:).

Thing is that subcision is not offered in my country :(. I've emailed a couple of derms and plastic surgeons and god many different treatment options.

I've heard dermarolling is effective on acne scars. Do you think it would be helpful in my case? I was also offered injectable fillers and am considering this option too. Is there a risk that something might happen with the filler while rolling? I've just placed an order for a 1.5mm roll but the notion of getting immediate improvements from fillers sounds tempting even if I had to change it every 3-6months (the one used by the doc who offered me this "treatment" is Juvederm which supposedly lasts up to 12 months).

Another thing - is injecting fillers somewhat similar to subcision, i.e. you have a needle stuck into your scar so isn't its counter-effect similar to the one of subcision?

Oh and one more thing I've just remembered; one of the docs (plastic surgeon) suggested dermabrasion. Now, I've read many cons to this procedure. Though, it it possible to dermabrade only scars and some surrounding skin? Or would I rather have to get my whole cheeks/face dermabraded?

First of all, please never call yourself ugly.

You do have probably what I would consider to be moderate/severe scarring from looking at your photos.

Sorry I didnt get to finish.

I wanted to say that acne scars dont make us ugly. The other day I saw this very attractive girl with moderate acne scarring and I thought wow she is really pretty even with her scarring.

I am not excited about the dermaroller but I think fillers could really help with the depressions. Maybe a laser after to finish up.

Take good care of yourself keep positive and try things to improve the look of your skin.

Healthy skin looks good even with scarring.

Please take a photo of your skin without editing the contrast and colors so we can see your skin the way others will see it

First of all, please never call yourself ugly.

You do have probably what I would consider to be moderate/severe scarring from looking at your photos.

are some of you guys off your trolley or something

its mild-moderate scaring at most..

dude like seriously i dont think you'll need much to get to a point your happy with them really, so i wish you all the best, but like they arnt that bad at all! i would happily swap a zillion times over.

Edited by o_Adam_o

Adam,

I dont think I am off my trolly. If I think it looks moderate/severe I will say so even though its hard because I dont want to bs anyone as I wouldnt others to bs me.

So yes I would say probably more on the high end of moderate only because some of his scars are deep. This may also be because he changed the contrast to make them look worse. Maybe they really arent that deep.This is my opinion and I am sure he would prefer I didnt sugarcoat him.

If this is upsetting I am truly sorry as my intention is never to make some feel bad. I figure we are all here to get an honest opinion otherwise we wouldnt post photos.

You can look into my gallery. There's a photo with no editing there (even my hair is uncombed since I was straight out of bed). That one was taken with the same camera (my sister's high resolution one). Now if i take pics of my face with my digicam, you won't see scars. To make them more visible (and to mark where exactly they are) I just had to adjust the contrast/colours. I just felt it would be more appropriate than making myself and you think they are practically invisible.

Here are some more pics of my face taken with my shitty camera.

Thing is that I live in a very tolerant society where nobody mocked my scars:(. But also even my parents or my ex-girlfriend (who would notice that a zit has popped out on my face) do not seem to care. My best friend who has a photographing mania hasn't edited my face in the pics ever since I have stopped getting numerous zits and since red marks after them have healed. He would give me advice on acne which I would try out and now he doesn't give any advice anymore. That leaves me quite depressed as I feel I am left alone with this problem.

post-133435-1279528290_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279528428_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279528481_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279528290_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279528428_thumb.jpg

post-133435-1279528481_thumb.jpg

Adam,

I dont think I am off my trolly. If I think it looks moderate/severe I will say so even though its hard because I dont want to bs anyone as I wouldnt others to bs me.

So yes I would say probably more on the high end of moderate only because some of his scars are deep. This may also be because he changed the contrast to make them look worse. Maybe they really arent that deep.This is my opinion and I am sure he would prefer I didnt sugarcoat him.

If this is upsetting I am truly sorry as my intention is never to make some feel bad. I figure we are all here to get an honest opinion otherwise we wouldnt post photos.

well after looking at his pics he has just posted above im sure your opinion will change anyway.

he clearly doesn't have anywhere near severe scaring.. FACT!

im all for people being honest with there opinion's, i very much welcome it in fact, they is to much being SUPER nice to people on this site when it comes to having a say... but seriously its clear that what you saying isnt there!

Edited by o_Adam_o

Adam,

well after looking at his pics he has just posted above im sure your opinion will change anyway.

he clearly doesn't have anywhere near severe scaring.. FACT!

im all for people being honest with there opinion's, i very much welcome it in fact, they is to much being SUPER nice to people on this site when it comes to having a say... but seriously its clear that what you saying isnt there!

ive always been told the severity of scars is determined by 1) size of the scar and 2) how many there are. they look deep, so the classification would be moderate - yet he doesnt have many, so im tempted to say mild/moderate. you like honesty, well thats the classification in the real world. then again everyones perception varies. all the same, hes a nice looking bloke, so i doubt many would notice.

in terms of honesty, i think people here are a little too honest. ive had people telling me to get my all moles cut off, have nose and chin surgery and live off an assortment of berries whilst getting no natural sunlight. ultimately, i guess is take any advice on here as a grain of salt.

Edited by sydney_fellow

he doesnt have much discoloration either! im jealous. I have light brown hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and chin from previous acne breakouts.

My scars are kinda the same. Most of the time I don't really notice them and I'm just living life. I never seen them on any pictures my friends took of me. Then, I see them in the backview mirror in the car in some bad lighting and I feel depressed. That's when I visit acne.org to look up treatments, which so far, only made things worse for me (stupid lasers).

Edited by Ziko