Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

So I found that citrus causes 50% of my acne

My update:

6 months ago I learned I have Celiac Disease (I took a stool test and sent it to EnteroLab.com). Removing gluten cleared my skin by about 10%.

Now I've discovered that lemons/citrus causes about 50% of my acne. I have met 4 other people with a citric acid sensitivity. I still don't know if my sensitivity is only limited to lemons or if I cannot eat any fruit that contains citric acid, so I'm avoiding all citrus fruits for now.

For those of you who remember that I could not eat any protein because my skin broke out so badly, I can now eat it without too many infections if I avoid citrus. Perhaps citrus aggravates my entire body and lowers my stomach acid causing me to have hypochlorhydria? Just a guess.

This is my update.

Edited by Dotty1

Yeah, my entire family has over a hundred severe sensitivities :(. It is difficult sifting through what is the cause of my acne and what is a food that my body cannot tolerate for other reasons. Last week I discovered I have a huge sensitivity to onions and a blood test just confirmed that onions cause my body to release high levels of histamines. Unfortunately, I don't think onions are the major cause of my acne. We'll see. :confused:

Edited by Dotty1

please tell me how citrus causes acne

^They are a common allergen.

This is true for me. Citrus caused the worst of my severe cystic acne and the cysts appear by the next morning after I eat an orange or something.

Although I don't have any problem with lemons or persian limes. According to lists of hypo-allergenic foods which include lemons, few people are allergic to lemons.

I've met four people who cannot eat citric acid. Three of these people get diarrhea from citric acid, but I have one friend whose hands blister and then the skin falls off (leaving huge open sores) within hours of eating or drinking foods with high citric acid content. I thought she was crazy at first, but now we've seen it happen so much that everyone in the house believes her.

Citric Acid Allergy and Sensitivity and Citrus Acid Intolerance

Citrus allergy is caused due to proteins present in the citrus fruit, while citrus acid intolerance is caused when you are unable to digest the protein found in citric acid.

I found a little information about distinguishing the two:

A citric allergy and a citric intolerance are different in their reaction. Allergies occur immediately after digesting citric acid (within 20 minutes). Intolerance can occur more slowly but has the same symptoms. An allergy only requires a small amount of citric acid while a citric intolerance is based on how much is ingested.

Citric acid intolerance is caused when your body is unable to digest citric acid. Rashes, eczema, abdominal cramps, diarrhea and constipation are some of the symptoms of citric acid intolerance.

Edited by Dotty1

I don't know how to delete this accidental post :boohoo:.

Edited by Dotty1

A citric allergy and a citric intolerance are different in their reaction. Allergies occur immediately after digesting citric acid (within 20 minutes). Intolerance can occur more slowly but has the same symptoms. An allergy only requires a small amount of citric acid while a citric intolerance is based on how much is ingested.

Except that isn't correct. There are allergies with immediate responses and allergies with delayed response. They involve different antibodies. Read the IgE vs IgG thread.

Except that isn't correct. There are allergies with immediate responses and allergies with delayed response. They involve different antibodies. Read the IgE vs IgG thread.

So much for me trusting EHow.com ;).