Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XxWatchMeBurnxX

Accutane and inflammatory acne?

I naturally have moderately severe inflammatory acne which is made far worse by obsessive skin-picking. :boohoo:

At my first visit to my dermatologist, she told me that Accutane would only be used as a last-ditch effort because my acne is not cystic. I understand this of course, but have pretty much no other options. I've tried all oral antibiotics, almost every topical treatment, numerous acne regimens, and several home remedies with little to no success.

So, in my desperation, I began to really seriously consider Accutane. My dermatologist told me that the regression rate for people with my type of acne on Accutane was 100%. I was wondering if anybody with moderately severe inflammatory acne had different luck on Accutane. My acne has been completely resilient to all other medications, so Accutane is my last hope. But I don't want just a temporary fix. At the very least, I'd like a fix that has some hope of curing it completely.

So if anybody has any personal stories of successful eradication of inflammatory acne with Accutane, I would dearly love to hear them.

BTDUBS: I'm a sixteen year old male, if that information is required.

I naturally have moderately severe inflammatory acne which is made far worse by obsessive skin-picking. :boohoo:

At my first visit to my dermatologist, she told me that Accutane would only be used as a last-ditch effort because my acne is not cystic. I understand this of course, but have pretty much no other options. I've tried all oral antibiotics, almost every topical treatment, numerous acne regimens, and several home remedies with little to no success.

So, in my desperation, I began to really seriously consider Accutane. My dermatologist told me that the regression rate for people with my type of acne on Accutane was 100%. I was wondering if anybody with moderately severe inflammatory acne had different luck on Accutane. My acne has been completely resilient to all other medications, so Accutane is my last hope. But I don't want just a temporary fix. At the very least, I'd like a fix that has some hope of curing it completely.

So if anybody has any personal stories of successful eradication of inflammatory acne with Accutane, I would dearly love to hear them.

BTDUBS: I'm a sixteen year old male, if that information is required.

When you say inflammatory acne, do you mean swelling, cysts, redness, etc? Just checkin', because that is the primary form that my acne seems to take. I get frequent painful lumps, some have been repeat performances from cysts that come and go in the same areas. I too tried oral antibiotics and topical treatments with no success.

This year I turned 20 and decided that although I had left puberty and my teenage years behind me, my acne was going to be sticking around.

I am currently on a three-month accutane course of 10mg per day, and I am now over a month into the course. Since I am on only low dosage, I have experienced perhaps one or two cysts which developed, but they seem to be less significant than past inflammations, and they have run their course quickly and faded away. I still have red marks from previous cysts, but I am sure they will go in time.

My (obviously unqualified) advice to you is that you should wait as long as you can, since you're only young and your situation could change with physical maturity and development. However, if you truly have had enough, maybe you should go ahead and try accutane, perhaps on a low dosage to begin with, until you feel confident that the drug isn't going to turn you into some kind of leper (as some people here seem to believe).

I apologize for not being clear enough.

My acne manifests as lots of whiteheads on every part of my face, painful red bumps, and the occasional deep cysts on my jawline and cheeks.

Both of my parents still deal with acne, so growig out of it doesn't seem to be in my future. :/

I apologize for not being clear enough.

My acne manifests as lots of whiteheads on every part of my face, painful red bumps, and the occasional deep cysts on my jawline and cheeks.

Both of my parents still deal with acne, so growig out of it doesn't seem to be in my future. :/

Have you tried Dans Regimen at all??

Accutane does seem like a good option for you if you have tried everything else, but then you are young and people say that when your hormones change as you get into your 20's the acne is likely to return. I think if your derm is going to allow accutane then maybe it is worth a try, but it is something that you have to research yourself and think about it. If you look at the accutane logs on here, you can look at pictures and maybe compare your acne??

I havent taken accutane myself but I am thinking about it, if Dans regimen does not work for me!

good luck

x

As the above poster suggests, I'd try Dan's Regimen. Start here for the Regimen step-by-step directions.

I wouldn't recommend isotretinoin to a youth of 16 who hasn't yet finished growing. Accutane has a potential for causing premature epiphyseal closure, or closure of the 'growth plates' on the ends of long bones that are responsible for the lengthening of those bones. The plates will close on their own eventually, when you're finished growing, but it's highly likely they're not closed yet.