Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
momo123

TOTAL FX healing

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know I just had total fx done 5 days ago, on my cheeks only. I am a fair skinned asian female, 21 years old. The deep fx setting was 20mj with a density of 15% (which I think is the same thing as saying density 3) and i wasn't too sure about the active fx setting, can't remember. My scarring is mild, just little shallow pockmarks that are scattered all over my cheeks. The scarring doesn't register in pictures, but is noticeable in person.

The procedure felt quick and totally painless. They gave me valium and light IV sedation, so I slept through it. By the time it was over, I didn't even realize it had ever begun.

After i came home from the procedure, i was a huge bloody mess. Blood and clear fluids dripping off my face and down my neck the entire day. GROSS. But I did not feel any burning/hot sensation that some people reported. Next day, no more bleeding, but still weeping alot of clear fluids, pretty swollen and red. By the 3rd day, i finally stopped weeping fluids and was just crusty, swollen, and skin start to slough off. By the 4th day, more skin came off everytime I cleaned it with gauze. I was VERY careful not to force the dead skin to come off. Today, all of the skin has peeled off on its own and I am just slightly deep pink. Just looks like I got a mild sunburn. Guess I should count my lucky stars that I'm not one of those people with prolonged intense redness. Also, my plastic surgeon did a good job feathering the laser out, so I have no noticeable demarcation line. Most of the major swelling has gone down, although I can tell I am still a little swollen when i touch my face. Overall, I'd say the healing process was quick and painless for me.

As far as the scarring, 5 days is too early to tell, but I do already see some of my deeper scars returning, but they look more blended in. The smaller scars look invisible now. But then again, this could be due to swelling. My doctor told me that because acne scars are difficult to treat, he would do a 2nd treatment at no extra cost :dance: .

Now that I've shared my experience and will give u an update on the results after I've had more time to truly evaluate them, I HAVE A QUESTION FOR CO2 FRACTIONAL VETERANS!!

What did your skin feel like after all the dead dry skin sloughed off???

I was expecting my skin to feel baby soft, but it actually feels rough and looking at it up close, the texture looks rough as well. Maybe its because I had a fairly aggressive treatment and my skin still needs more time to heal? I was expecting it to feel smooth, soft and glowy...kinda like how you feel after a chemical peel Even though my pockmarks are less visible (again, probably swelling), my skin texture overall looks and feels rough. I was really surprised to find this because it felt like I was healing so well and quickly...so then why is my skin texture rough like this? DID ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS? Did it return to normal eventually?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know I just had total fx done 5 days ago, on my cheeks only. I am a fair skinned asian female, 21 years old. The deep fx setting was 20mj with a density of 15% (which I think is the same thing as saying density 3) and i wasn't too sure about the active fx setting, can't remember. My scarring is mild, just little shallow pockmarks that are scattered all over my cheeks. The scarring doesn't register in pictures, but is noticeable in person.

The procedure felt quick and totally painless. They gave me valium and light IV sedation, so I slept through it. By the time it was over, I didn't even realize it had ever begun.

After i came home from the procedure, i was a huge bloody mess. Blood and clear fluids dripping off my face and down my neck the entire day. GROSS. But I did not feel any burning/hot sensation that some people reported. Next day, no more bleeding, but still weeping alot of clear fluids, pretty swollen and red. By the 3rd day, i finally stopped weeping fluids and was just crusty, swollen, and skin start to slough off. By the 4th day, more skin came off everytime I cleaned it with gauze. I was VERY careful not to force the dead skin to come off. Today, all of the skin has peeled off on its own and I am just slightly deep pink. Just looks like I got a mild sunburn. Guess I should count my lucky stars that I'm not one of those people with prolonged intense redness. Also, my plastic surgeon did a good job feathering the laser out, so I have no noticeable demarcation line. Most of the major swelling has gone down, although I can tell I am still a little swollen when i touch my face. Overall, I'd say the healing process was quick and painless for me.

As far as the scarring, 5 days is too early to tell, but I do already see some of my deeper scars returning, but they look more blended in. The smaller scars look invisible now. But then again, this could be due to swelling. My doctor told me that because acne scars are difficult to treat, he would do a 2nd treatment at no extra cost :dance: .

Now that I've shared my experience and will give u an update on the results after I've had more time to truly evaluate them, I HAVE A QUESTION FOR CO2 FRACTIONAL VETERANS!!

What did your skin feel like after all the dead dry skin sloughed off???

I was expecting my skin to feel baby soft, but it actually feels rough and looking at it up close, the texture looks rough as well. Maybe its because I had a fairly aggressive treatment and my skin still needs more time to heal? I was expecting it to feel smooth, soft and glowy...kinda like how you feel after a chemical peel Even though my pockmarks are less visible (again, probably swelling), my skin texture overall looks and feels rough. I was really surprised to find this because it felt like I was healing so well and quickly...so then why is my skin texture rough like this? DID ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS? Did it return to normal eventually?

You may still be sloughing off skin. It does seem like there was some roughness initially, but that went away quickly. I believe the 20mj setting in DeepFX is fairly intense, and at least equivilent or higher than my 70mj Re:pair treatments. Don't ask me to explain this, but you will find some information on this link.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html

I remember having a mixture of both rough and smooth skin. My cheeks were really smooth and my chin was really rough. I don't think it's anything to worry about but if you still are having problems by day 9 or 10 then maybe call your derm.

Thanks for the replies guys! Today is day 6 and the texture of my skin does feel softer today, and I'm sure the roughness will go away in a few days.

Overall, I have to say I am REALLY FREAKIN HAPPY I got this procedure done. My skin looks so much better, and the scars have blended in so nicely. In fact, they are barely even noticeable in person now. I'd say this was like an 70-80% improvement. But then again, keep in mind, i had very mild scarring. I haven't felt this good about my skin in a long time and this was the best damn $2000 spent. And microswelling or no microswelling, i dont care because my skin looks great and I'm just gonna remain hopeful that my scarring will continue to improve over the next months as collagen builds. :pray:

If anyone in the DC, MD, VA region wants to know the great plastic surgeon who did my procedure, let me know! He was so kind and really listened to everything I had to say. I might do it again after 4-6 months to smooth everything out as much as possible.

I'm also happy to answer any questions people have about my Total FX experience.

Finally, THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON ACNE.ORG because I never would've been able to find out about this procedure and go through it without you guys and reading your experiences. I wish I had pictures to share, but I don't have a working camera :(

Give it a few more weeks before judging your skin.. it is likely that your scarring is nearly gone just after peeling. I'm just telling you because I don't want people to think this is a miracle cure.

Give it a few more weeks before judging your skin.. it is likely that your scarring is nearly gone just after peeling. I'm just telling you because I don't want people to think this is a miracle cure.

ziko is right. being day 6 you would still have an incredible amount of swelling and this would be masking a lot of your scars - as believable as they might be. all the same i know a lot of us are keen to know how much improvement you do end up seeing and i hope its what you expected :)

Hi momo,

I am asian of fair skin @ 21 years of age also. I did a Mixto Co2 Fractional treatment over a week ago and after peeling, my skin was very smooth/soft not just by touch but you can tell by looking at it. It is still like that now which is good. After my skin returned to normal colour, my mild scars did improve little, but over a few more days it is getting a better again and is continuing to do so.

My derm who is a very highly regarded laser practioner in Australia reiterates to me all the time, that it will keep getting better from here on out for 6 months.

Thanks for the replies guys! Today is day 6 and the texture of my skin does feel softer today, and I'm sure the roughness will go away in a few days.

Overall, I have to say I am REALLY FREAKIN HAPPY I got this procedure done. My skin looks so much better, and the scars have blended in so nicely. In fact, they are barely even noticeable in person now. I'd say this was like an 70-80% improvement. But then again, keep in mind, i had very mild scarring. I haven't felt this good about my skin in a long time and this was the best damn $2000 spent. And microswelling or no microswelling, i dont care because my skin looks great and I'm just gonna remain hopeful that my scarring will continue to improve over the next months as collagen builds. :pray:

If anyone in the DC, MD, VA region wants to know the great plastic surgeon who did my procedure, let me know! He was so kind and really listened to everything I had to say. I might do it again after 4-6 months to smooth everything out as much as possible.

I'm also happy to answer any questions people have about my Total FX experience.

Finally, THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON ACNE.ORG because I never would've been able to find out about this procedure and go through it without you guys and reading your experiences. I wish I had pictures to share, but I don't have a working camera :(

Who did you see in the dc metro area???

btw i had the repair/fx as well. went back to work on the 6th day with practically no scars showing, give it a few weeks, i had swelling up to a month. you have major swelling right now.

It will be interesting to hear the results of 2 asians who have had laser since pigmentation is such a huge issue with lasers.

I have none. My derm put me on a Cosmelan treatment (depigmentation treatment) before and after the Laser. It prevents and treats hyperpigmentation so he is allowed to go really aggressive on my Acne scars. He has tried this on MANY patients and rarely is there any hyperpigmentation, and when there is - it will be removed 2 - 3 weeks after Laser using Cosmelan.

Yeah i know about the microswelling can last for a while, but I guess I'm just trying to enjoy the high as much as I can right now and remain optimistic that a good amount of collagen will build after the swelling goes down. Will update after a few weeks once microswelling is all gone.

And I agree, I don't mean to make Total FX out to sound like a miracle cure for everyone, even if my post sounds like that, lol. I'm just trying to describe my experience, specific to me.

Dudley, I was put on hydroquinone for 6 weeks prior to the procedure. And am suppose to start using it again 2 weeks from now. So I'll post an update on any hyperpigmentation, if it occurs. Right now, im just pink, so it's hard to tell if the pink will turn into brown hyperpigmentation or not.

KingZiggy: I went to Dr. Henry Sandel IV of Annapolis, MD. PM me if you wanna know more about him.