Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimberlyannEMT

Accutane for excessively oily skin

Hey all,

I'm Kimberly, I have finished two courses of Accutane (1st course..July '08 - Jan '09) (2nd course..Sep '09 - Jun '10). So far, the acne hasn't really come back, maybe a spot here and there *knocks on wood*

I have been looking around a lot for information on Dermatologists prescribing Accutane solely for excessively oily skin.. Because from the looks of it, that's all that's on the market right now that can control sebum production internally.

I don't mean to sound like a 'whiner' or complainer, because I know that there are far worse things then having oily skin, but it really does interfere with life..

+ I can smell the oil on my skin and in my hair..

+ I can feel it seeping out of my pores, less than an hour after showering

+ My hair and skin smell, obviously, because of all the oil

+ I feel dirty all the time, like I haven't showered in days

+ I have to shampoo my hair 3-4 times in the shower to get all the oil out..

It's just really uncomfortable living with oily skin.

Has anyone brought this issue up to a derm and mentioned Accutane? What was their response?

I understand that Accutane is supposed to be only prescribed for severe nodular/cystic acne.

I'd really appreciate responses, thank you

Probably something you'd have to talk to your derm about, your skin still gets oily an hour after a shower if you dont use a moisturizer?

Probably something you'd have to talk to your derm about, your skin still gets oily an hour after a shower if you dont use a moisturizer?

Oh yes, definately does..

I think pretty much your only bet here is to go to a Derm and talk with them about what exactly is the best measure to take with your oily skin. I could see your derm maybe putting you on a low dose accutane to see how your skin oil responds after some months. Then again they might have another suggestion. You'd have to definitely seek help from a derm on this one.

Talk with your doctor about spironolactone; it can help with oil reduction simply because it's anti-androgenic. There are also other options, none of which are acceptable for a female who wishes to become pregnant though.

If your oil has a bad and strong smell, it's likely from something you're eating. Seriously. :) If I eat garlic or onions, the oil will have a scent. There are other food culprits as well. I have noted in myself that drinking an herbal tea (add marjoram either dried or fresh, or rosemary to help with the oil scent) will help even if I eat onions or garlic.

Check out nutrition and holistic health for nutritional information and a low glycemic index diet. The quality of your sebum can change with diet, not just the scent! It can become less viscous and therefore less tenacious and sticky, and less adherent to shed skin, thus helping limit clogged pores.

I appreciate the posts.. I know all about spiro and other hormone-related medications.. The reason for my oiliness is hereditary, though, not necessarily my hormones (I'm sure they don't help though).

The only thing that has ever helped my oily skin has been Accutane.. I am going to see my primary doctor on Friday, then ask for a referral to a new dermatologist (my old one finished his 3rd year of residency and left). I am hoping that I can either go on Accutane for a full 6-8 month course on a high dose (less chance of recurrance) (60-80mg) then just go on a very low maintenence dose for the oily skin..... Or just go on a very low dose long term to keep the oily skin under control.

I guess the only problem is, finding a dermatologist who will prescribe me Accutane for oily skin.

Heredity causes those hormones to make your skin oily. Heredity itself doesn't cause oiliness, the interactions within your body account for the oiliness.

Heredity causes those hormones to make your skin oily. Heredity itself doesn't cause oiliness, the interactions within your body account for the oiliness.

You're right, but hormones have never been good to me, or my skin.. I don't really want to try any of them again and possibly make my skin worse (since right now it's just the oiliness I'm concerned with). Thanks for the input though. I think I've read some of your posts before about Accutane and oily skin.. Have you talked to a derm about it? And if so, what was their conclusion?

I used Accutane 10 years ago but for mild inflammatory acne with moderate scarring. The oily skin doesn't greatly bother me.

Is anyone familiar with using low dose, long-term Accutane for oily skin? I've found a few users who are using or have used it. I would appreciate it if someone who has used it, or brought it up to their derm, to post a response, thank you!: )