Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rareform

Cut Everything Out

Ok so i've been breaking out very often recently, and im sick of saying these are the last pimples untill im clear, because they never are.

Soo... I am going to cut mainly everything out of my lifestyle that could cause acne. My goal is 2 weeks right now, but i want to keep it up as long as possible.

some of the stuff is.

healthy diet with limited sugars/dairy and lots of fruits /veggies

no masterbation

no weed

no drinking

proper sleep

lots of working out

changing pillow/sheets regularly

my usual regiment with bp/ex foliation/and moisturizer

etc

( im not saying that right now im a lazy person who eats junkfood and lives crazy unhealthy, but i want to make sure i do all these things at once for an extended period to see what happens.)

i really dont care if there is no scientific facts about some of those, but i know from experience they can effect MY acne.

i posted this to ask everyone what i should add, to increase my chances.

thanks

wish me luck :pray:

If your skin improves you won't know exactly which one you eliminated caused the most improvement. I'd suggest rather cutting out one thing at a time for at least a month EACH to see what happens. That's not only a bit easier but also will help you determine what might be the biggest culprit.

Ok so i've been breaking out very often recently, and im sick of saying these are the last pimples untill im clear, because they never are.

Soo... I am going to cut mainly everything out of my lifestyle that could cause acne. My goal is 2 weeks right now, but i want to keep it up as long as possible.

some of the stuff is.

no masterbation

no weed

no drinking

proper sleep

lots of working out

etc

( im not saying that right now im a lazy person who eats junkfood and lives crazy unhealthy, but i want to make sure i do all these things at once for an extended period to see what happens.)

i really dont care if there is no scientific facts about some of those, but i know from experience they can effect MY acne.

thanks

just stick to that list or the most important 3 or 4 things from the list. The cute pink kitteh is right. You won't know which has been effective. Keep a weekly diary and if your skin clears up after 2 months start to take one thing away from the list to see if it comes back. You could narrow it down that way if you are keen to do things speedily/you think your acne is effected by multiple interacting factors.... or one at a time to be more scientific/if you think its caused greatly by singlular factors

I'd suggest rather cutting out one thing at a time for at least a month EACH to see what happens.

Except in the case of healthy things everyone should do regardless of acne like sleep, being active and avoiding sugar, alcohol and high GL meals. These are things you should do for life and for far more important reasons than clear skin.

Avoiding foods to figure out food intolerances can be done in 2 ways. Avoid a food and related foods one by one for about a month, or stick to very hypoallergenic foods for a month and then add things in one by one.

Edited by alternativista

assuming acne is due to diet and not stress, if we are truly at the drawing board, then we should have no hard opinions about what contributes to acne, or ill or good health in general.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I would say its no more scientific to assess things one at a time as it would be to assess things in batches then use a process of elimination on those batches by readding things to the diet again. Food stuffs and the vitimins etc in them DO interact in complex ways so although its not something I have considered before reading this post it does seem to make sense to try a few things at once (if we are talking about diet).

medical treatments tend to work singularily to a certain extent then improve with a combination therapy whereas in nutrition everything interacts. Vitimin A needs fat to be absorbed, calcium needs vitimin D etc etc....

in that light it makes sense to allow a few lifestyle changes at once if someone wants to, to increase success... as long as efforts are documented so they can be analysed later.

here's an idea:

Why not restructure your diet and lifestyle to a point that you actually feel comfortable living on. I mean if you go on a raw vegan diet and you hate it, you can't support that for life. Why would you even want to - acne is already a huge drain on the fun of life, diets you can't stick to is just adding another thing to hate.

See if just following a diet that you can always stick to works. If it does, why go any crazier? And if it doesn't, and you're very dedicated, you can take additional steps.

here's an idea:

Why not restructure your diet and lifestyle to a point that you actually feel comfortable living on. I mean if you go on a raw vegan diet and you hate it, you can't support that for life.

Umm, the OP is merely limiting sugars and dairy and increasing fruits and veggies. Nothing was said about raw veganism or anything extreme at all. Other than the title, that is.

I disagree with everyone saying you should try one of these things at a time because depending on what you mean by 'lots of working out' and the exfoliation method, everything on the list except the BP are things everyone should do. EVERYONE. And for life.

These are not extreme changes. They are nearly all very good changes that I strongly encourage.

Although limiting wheat should be added to the list. And temporarily, an elimination diet should be followed in which certain foods, wheat and dairy in particular, are eliminated completely for a period, or a very hypo-allergenic diet is followed for a period and then foods are added methodically back in. And this can actually be easier because if you are trying to find new things to eat, you may as well pick from foods few people have an intolerance for.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

I would say its no more scientific to assess things one at a time as it would be to assess things in batches then use a process of elimination on those batches by readding things to the diet again. Food stuffs and the vitimins etc in them DO interact in complex ways so although its not something I have considered before reading this post it does seem to make sense to try a few things at once (if we are talking about diet).

medical treatments tend to work singularily to a certain extent then improve with a combination therapy whereas in nutrition everything interacts. Vitimin A needs fat to be absorbed, calcium needs vitimin D etc etc....

in that light it makes sense to allow a few lifestyle changes at once if someone wants to, to increase success... as long as efforts are documented so they can be analysed later.

Agreed. you are basically referring to idea of reductionism vs holism and the best methods of how to understand how anything works, by analyzing the sinlge smallest parts, or how they work together. Also this touches on the idea of causation where you must abandon any simple linear ideas of cause and effect, you must consider heirarchial relationships and multiple causation/combo effects.

to illustrate these ideas, imagine doing an elimination diet where you cut out all vitamins to find out which one effected your acne better, well, you would probabaly die, ha! you would not want to do that. there are many causes that allow our bodys to function successfully, and likewise, the "cure" for acne, could be just as many things, but we have this one miracle substance as a preconceived notion of what a "cure" consists of.

Also people may become convinced that when they find a certain food aggravates acne, that MUST mean that it causes acne, yet thats highly unlikely to impossible when someone else is eating the same food, and has zero acne. that hypothesis instantly becomes disproven with good observations. You may have found some relationship, indeed, but it is not directly causative.

Another example of the holism reductionism argument to understand something is cancer. say you have a brain tumor, and we know that radiation will destroy tumor cells and we conclude that zapping the human brain with radiation is a reasonable option for the treatment of the brain tumor. sounds fine right, this is all based in the reductionist understanding of the smallest parts, tumor cells and how radiation effects them. but that doesnt necessarily mean that zapping a persons brain with radiation to kill "the tumor" is the best way to understand how to fight cancer in the human body, surprising thing is this is EXACTLY what is done today, with debateable results. If we use simple reason, beyond any dogmaticly loyal ideas towards the current philosophy of medicine and biology, we may conclude that we are equally killing the patient along with the tumor.

but to stay on topic, i suppose we are concerning ourselves with identifying a goal ,no more acne, or why do i have acne, or what is causing my acne, and what is the best method to achieve that goal.

within my own journey, i considered the most precise mechanics of the human body, and how the food is interacting with it as well as how they relate to the most general functions, ive also stopped concerning myself with a reductionist definition of "acne" and started to think of entire body health. when considering the most precise events of digestion and how they are support every single cell in our body, the bacteria and the lining of the intestine have become just fascinating and complex. Also, emotions come into entire body health as well. We seem to be just big digestion machines really, if there is something wrong with that foundation, that could be where many other things arise from. Another concept that has helped me understand acne and the body is ideas of determinism and first causation, there may apear to be some external dysfunction of the skin, and even though we do not really know the precise mechanisms, as they are very complex, we could argue that it has been a chain of events that have somehow led to this, if we could define acne as a problem with sebum production, then we may ask, what is the cause of that?and of that and so on. and follow the entire line of events down to a few master events, i argue these matser events have to do with the mechanics of digestion, but there is really no way to know for sure, that is where science and philospohy strictly divide. We are either theorizing or knowing, can we know things through reason, or stricly by empiricism.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

some of the stuff is.

no masterbation

no weed

no drinking

proper sleep

lots of working out

etc

thanks

Everyone obviously has their own opinion on this. Take them for what they're worth and decide what you want to do on your own because if you do one thing someone will always tell you it's wrong. I think this is a good idea to try cutting stuff out that might make you break out...I wouldn't be doing it one at a time either. When I want change, I drastically do it because it works and sometimes that's all you need.