Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glad4Grace

Can I make a Retin-A with aloe vera?

Hello all,

After showering, I usually spray my uppper arms and back with a witch hazel, which I have in a small spray bottle. I was wondering if I could add retin-a to this? Spray and rub in. That would save a step in applying the retin a.

What do you think? I realize the retin-a potency would be diluted.

Thanks for your feedback.

:-)

Josie

Witch Hazel or Aloe?

Regular Retin-A will not disperse in an aqueous formulation - it's lipid soluble. Most witch hazel is 14% alcohol, but my educated guess is that this isn't nearly enough to dissolve the tretinoin.

The tretinoin in "Retin-A Micro" is contained in what the company describes as "methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer porous microspheres"... this allows it to be dispersed in an aqueous gel. So.. theoretically, you should be able to mix this into witch hazel.

However, either way, it's a bad idea. The change in concentration and formulation will have unpredictable effects. There could be cross reaction as the product sits unused, the penetration enhancers could lose effectiveness, etc.