Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

same. being around people even if its family. its like theyre looking at your face. anything spot/acne related you become involved. like "look ive got a SPOT" UNO ETC ETC. OMG yesterday my neice and nephew were playing around they are bout 6 and 7. basically they said they were going to put up a show and show us. we like awww bless. they came into the room and said look...

my nephew pt cream on his face like white spots. he goes to everyone this is kamran at night time.

my neice spiked her hair had no cream and applied red dots on her face with lipstic. and said this is kamran in the morning.

EVERYONE thought it was hilarious.

i didnt no whther to laugh or cry. so i walked out.

Girls. Simple as that acne is a confidence killer

I second this. This is probably the only thing acne itself actually holds me back from.

Edited by soxfan24

if im broken out im obviously not as social, so if i do go out with some friends or im spending time with new people and im feeling anti-social, people (especially guys) will think im bitchy or stuck up ... ive even been told im "mean"..... which im really not meaning to be and i really (really really) think im not, the only time i think this is half way true is when im being flirted with (and im not bragging cuz that is a rare occurance) ill tend to be sarcastic so that i can just dissuade them because i just dont want attention on me cuz i feel that if they pay too much agttention to me theyll see how flawed i am....or worse ill just be so boring ill fade into the background

same. being around people even if its family. its like theyre looking at your face. anything spot/acne related you become involved. like "look ive got a SPOT" UNO ETC ETC. OMG yesterday my neice and nephew were playing around they are bout 6 and 7. basically they said they were going to put up a show and show us. we like awww bless. they came into the room and said look...

my nephew pt cream on his face like white spots. he goes to everyone this is kamran at night time.

my neice spiked her hair had no cream and applied red dots on her face with lipstic. and said this is kamran in the morning.

EVERYONE thought it was hilarious.

i didnt no whther to laugh or cry. so i walked out.

i feel bad cuz i kinda laughed at this when i first read it... but i can only imagine how that would suck.... my nieces do similar things

lol ye i do find it funny too. like i couldnt belive they did it. it is funny but very uncomfortable at the time lol. back to your post

acne held me back from going to a wedding today i thought everyone was gonna look at my face and say something or look at it. so i didnt go. i reli didnt want that coz i think its improved and i didnt want anything to make me feel worser than i am.

but i did want to go. ah well...

lol ye i do find it funny too. like i couldnt belive they did it. it is funny but very uncomfortable at the time lol. back to your post

acne held me back from going to a wedding today i thought everyone was gonna look at my face and say something or look at it. so i didnt go. i reli didnt want that coz i think its improved and i didnt want anything to make me feel worser than i am.

but i did want to go. ah well...

well the next time something like that comes up ... go!!! (i know easier said then done)... but i went to a wedding about a month ago...and i broke out right before it so i almost didnt go, but did go (kinda had to, it was my cousins wedding) ...and ya know what, i had a great time... and still got asked to dance despite my breakout.

i think we all tend to overthink things sometimes... i know, its a challenge

Girls. Simple as that acne is a confidence killer

That is my number one reason. It sux!

I don't have acne nearly as bad anymore as I used to (month 4 currently and accutane is great so far). I'm 21 right now, and when my acne was at its worst around the age of 18 or so.. The age of 18 was like my darkest days. It was just awful. I would constantly try to avoid being in crowds of people in high-school. I had a good/popular group of friends, but I was just still a lot less social then I would have normally been if my skin was clear. I would constantly try and avoid talking with a circle of friends, I would only try to speak with maybe 1-2 at a time tops so I would have a less chance of being noticed (as dumb as that sounds). And when I would talk I was often nervous/uneasy and would thus not say nearly as much as I otherwise would. And my confidence around girls back then.... Haha, 100% non-existent.. I had none. Acne pretty much ruined my final 1-2 years of high-school. Grade 12 was the absolute worst though.

3-4 years later here I am, my skin is drastically improved. I can now say my confidence socially is no longer in the gutter. But I had a LOT to get through to get to this point. A lot (mentally).

After all that, went from high-school to now in post-secondary. Next semester is coming up in September.. And I don't have to constantly worry about being self-conscious wherever I go. And that in itself is a huge weight off my shoulders. I can honestly say I actually look forward to a year of school this time around. Back in high-school.. I absolutely dreaded having to go back each year. Not because of the school thing, but because of the acne thing.

:)

Edited by Jxr

boys :P lol

sleepovers.

swimming around friends and guys.

just being comfortable and having confidence

going on trips with girls and boys

Acne holds me back from absolutely NOTHING. :P Even with a severe breakout as I used to get, I'd go out without makeup. I rarely wear makeup anyway, only when I'm going someplace sort of nice.

If you ACT like you have confidence and face your fears by doing something one day that's pretty simple, even, like going to a grocery store and smiling and looking people in the eyes....THEN your confidence WILL improve with practice. Try it.

if im broken out im obviously not as social

Yeah when it happens to me i just keep my head down and get on with the day

You don't want to make eye contact and have lengthy conversations with people.

exactly, plus i always feel like im on the defense

boys :P lol

sleepovers.

swimming around friends and guys.

just being comfortable and having confidence

going on trips with girls and boys

i know, i went on a roadtrip with some girls andddd guys... which was fine i figured, theres seperate rooms right? ill be fine just around the girls when i have no makeup.... HA!... right... the two hotel rooms had a connecting door so the guys thought they were allowed to just walts in whenever they felt like it... even watch your whole regimen and beauty process... ask questions like "oh so whats that make up for, and blah blah blah"... but it kinda helped me get over it, and no one said anything badly..... except when we had to get up at 4am...and were out clubbing til 3am haha... then my one guy friend said "jenny youre a wreck..... in fact thats gonna be my new band name" ..... so i get where youre comin from with the whole trips thing gahh lol

I don't have acne nearly as bad anymore as I used to (month 4 currently and accutane is great so far). I'm 21 right now, and when my acne was at its worst around the age of 18 or so.. The age of 18 was like my darkest days. It was just awful. I would constantly try to avoid being in crowds of people in high-school. I had a good/popular group of friends, but I was just still a lot less social then I would have normally been if my skin was clear. I would constantly try and avoid talking with a circle of friends, I would only try to speak with maybe 1-2 at a time tops so I would have a less chance of being noticed (as dumb as that sounds). And when I would talk I was often nervous/uneasy and would thus not say nearly as much as I otherwise would. And my confidence around girls back then.... Haha, 100% non-existent.. I had none. Acne pretty much ruined my final 1-2 years of high-school. Grade 12 was the absolute worst though.

3-4 years later here I am, my skin is drastically improved. I can now say my confidence socially is no longer in the gutter. But I had a LOT to get through to get to this point. A lot (mentally).

After all that, went from high-school to now in post-secondary. Next semester is coming up in September.. And I don't have to constantly worry about being self-conscious wherever I go. And that in itself is a huge weight off my shoulders. I can honestly say I actually look forward to a year of school this time around. Back in high-school.. I absolutely dreaded having to go back each year. Not because of the school thing, but because of the acne thing.

:)

yeah i would never wanna relive those years of my life. the word awkward pretty much defined me back then... now at least its only a sidenote lol

yaaa, i could never do a trip with guyss! never. well unless i was REALLY close with the guys. then i could.

but that sounds like a fun trip! and it was probably nice because now u know u can do it! thats awesome.

It holds me back from socializing, although it's way easier when it's with people i know. For example last night i was at a gathering. Everyone who was their i knew but i only really talked to half of the people because they were my actual friends. Acne holds me back from becoming friends with those people who are friends of friends. It annoys me dearly.

And ofcourse girls. I can still talk to girls that im friends with but acne has never allowed me to meet someone at a party or a bar and try to pick them up.

it doesn't hold you back, it's an excuse you use that holds you back

Not really. People get turned down from jobs that have to deal with the public because of acne. Also how many stories do we hear where the opposite sex turns you down because of it? I have heard plenty, in fact someone wrote another one today.

Not really. People get turned down from jobs that have to deal with the public because of acne. Also how many stories do we hear where the opposite sex turns you down because of it? I have heard plenty, in fact someone wrote another one today.

agreed. it would be too easy to say that its all in our heads and that its ourselves thats holding us back... while this may be true to some extent, the sad reality is that we do get judged for our acne... and in some way (wheather we know it or not) we alllllll somewhat judge others based on how they look, its just human nature.

But too many of you let it hold you back. This is a fact. So WHAT if you think people are judging you? People judge haircuts, clothes, etc everyday. Does that stop you from wearing clothes or getting your hair cut?

People judge others wearing makeup, or not wearing makeup. Does that make you choose to wear (or not wear) makeup?

But too many of you let it hold you back. This is a fact. So WHAT if you think people are judging you? People judge haircuts, clothes, etc everyday. Does that stop you from wearing clothes or getting your hair cut?

People judge others wearing makeup, or not wearing makeup. Does that make you choose to wear (or not wear) makeup?

while its true we really shouldnt let what others think hold us back... a lot of times what others think do dictate my choices, which i hate, cuz i have strong opinions.

agreed. it would be too easy to say that its all in our heads and that its ourselves thats holding us back... while this may be true to some extent, the sad reality is that we do get judged for our acne... and in some way (wheather we know it or not) we alllllll somewhat judge others based on how they look, its just human nature.

disagreed. of course it is easier said than done, but god forbid you had a child born and you needed to get a job asap, would your skin be that big of a concern then? it's just a suspect excuse for people. yes some jobs don't hire because of skin conditions and what not(model agencies) and some might not because of a health issue, but in the big picture, most jobs don't give a crap about skin conditions. don't complain about needing/wanting a job then fall short because of "my skin".