Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcnePrincessXoX

Become an Acne Detective

So, I was reading through posts and I came across one that mentioned this site called zerozits.com....on it there is a section where it teaches you to become an acne detective and it gives you a list of all these ingredients and how comedogenic they are. Apparantly everything I been using is horrible! Including Noxzema, phisoderm, and a bunch of other things. I am wondering if I should follow this list and completely eliminate all these ingredients from my washes and lotions? :redface:

Use it as a general guide. Not every product that contains an ingredient that's marked as comedogenic is going to cause breakouts. Sometimes there's only a very small amount of comedogenic ingredients in a product--not enough to really cause a problem.

If you're concerned about a product you're using possibly clogging your pores, run the ingredients in the product by that list (I've linked to the site you're referring to and a similar list at the bottom of this post), and use your best judgment as to whether it sounds like that product may be a problem for you.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://www.facerealityacneclinic.com/pore_clogging.html

Both ha...bc its sls....I dont know how to spell it or i would..its like sodium laureth sulfate or something...i heard thats what gives cleansers there foamy-ness...but thats like in everything! ugh :doh:

Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems.