Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nodulis

Question regarding antibiotics in general

Could long term use of an antibiotic, in my case, Minocyclin, have any permanent positive effect on acne, say, if one were to take it for a year or two? Or would suppressing the acne be the only result in the end...?

No.

It wont. Antibiotics are thought to work by reducing the numbers of P. Acnes bacteria. If you stop taking them, the bacteria will just multiply again and your acne will come back just as before.

Usually, people become immune to antibiotics after a year or two, and the acne returns, possibly worse than it did before you went on the antibiotic. Also, antibiotics usually don't even clear you while you are on it, so in my opinion, antibiotics are a waste of time.

Is it a problem to the body or the immune system to be taking the antibiotic (doxy) for over 6 months?

Usually, people become immune to antibiotics after a year or two, and the acne returns, possibly worse than it did before you went on the antibiotic.  Also, antibiotics usually don't even clear you while you are on it, so in my opinion, antibiotics are a waste of time.

Antibiotics didnt work at all for me and I tried all sorts. I became immune to them each time I used a different one after just 3 months and they didn't even clear me up while I was on them. My skin improved maybe 15%, thats all. I wasn't happy with them at all. They were a waste of my time but different things work for different people but my dermatoligist DID say that its almost guarenteed that at one point you will become immune to antibiotics. (I wish somebody had told me that before I started the long process of hopelessness and disapointment.)

Accutane is the only way. smile.gif

Usually, people become immune to antibiotics after a year or two, and the acne returns, possibly worse than it did before you went on the antibiotic.  Also, antibiotics usually don't even clear you while you are on it, so in my opinion, antibiotics are a waste of time.

usually, people DONT become immune to antibiotics.

usually antibiotics DO clear people while they are on them. not all antibiotics work on all people, and sometimes no antibiotics will work on someone. enter, accutane.

youre entitled to your closed minded opinion, but please stop passing on wrong information as truths, proven facts, or rules of thumb.

usually, people DONT become immune to antibiotics.

usually antibiotics DO clear people while they are on them. not all antibiotics work on all people, and sometimes no antibiotics will work on someone. enter, accutane.

youre entitled to your closed minded opinion, but please stop passing on wrong information as truths, proven facts, or rules of thumb.