Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karam

do scars on people's face look more obvious in a reflection (2D) or directly (3D)?

do scars on people's face look more obvious in a reflection (2D) or directly (3D)?

A 2D image reflection for sure! :)

Because you are looking at your face straight on.

People in general see you from all sorts of angles and not always directly.

When they look at you from the side, your scars appear far more flat.

Next time you look in your mirror, hold a face mirror in one of your hands and point it to the side of your face... then look in the main mirror. It's a great way to see exactly how you look from the side! :)

Next time you look in your mirror, hold a face mirror in one of your hands and point it to the side of your face... then look in the main mirror. It's a great way to see exactly how you look from the side! :)

Hm. I was always thinking I look better straight ahead, because then my scars dont cast tiny shadows. OR am I really far of here=

Hm. I was always thinking I look better straight ahead, because then my scars dont cast tiny shadows. OR am I really far of here=

Well I suppose its a combination of angles and lighting.

But I'd say in situations where lighting is hitting you from every angle (outside for example) your face would appear more smooth from the side.

I always notice that when I take a digital photo of myself from the side, in most cases my scars are non-existant.

depends on where your scaring is and then what angle the light is too... light from the sides is evil for me anywho.

Look at different mirrors and you'll see that all of them LIE! For example, I look like monster when I see my face in a car window.

Scars are mostly apparent in pictures because eyes and heads are rarely still in real life, so the texture evens out.

I've seen people with some scarring and it doesn't seem to bother me, so what I think is that my scarring shouldn't bother other people.

Edited by usacc

The only thing that really changes the appearance of scars and wrinkles is lighting. Light that is diffused or aimed directly at the subject is more flattering... Notice the cosmetics commercials... You'll see they always light the person with light that is head on... basically from the same exact angle as the camera. The most unflattering light is when it skims across a subject at an angle, thereby creating shadows. For instance... An overcast day with diffused light would be most flattering, because the light is coming from all angles. A bright summer day with the sun straight over and skimming across the face would be least flattering. And this is the same principle, whether in a photo, or video, or in person. But it's all always going to look much worse to you than anybody else, because your eyes are going to go right to it anytime you look at yourself. It's most likely much more noticeable to you than anyone else.

I agree completely......I think my scars look worse when the lighting is uneven, when the lighting is coming from above only or below only that causes more of a shadow effect makeing the scars look worse, i actually think scars look better outside in direct sunlight because it hits your face from every angle not casting shadows. Also, when people keep their head up rather than look down and not looking people in the eye this can make scars look worse, just another reason to hold your head up high and look people in the eye when talking, it draws their vision away from your skin!

Edited by FoxyHound

Totally agree.

My scars look like white spots in certain lights and look indented when lighting comes from one direction.

Tinted car windows make any one with scarring or wrinkles look HORRIBLE

Damn....you guys sure know all about lighting.

Yeah, tinted reflections are bad. So are many bathroom lights--omg that looks baaad.

Daylight seems to be okay though. Basically FoxyLove said it right.

So, here's one big thing -- scars are MUCH more visible when they have residual redness or pigmentation in them. Solution -- not sure...maybe ipl or something.

Infact let me put it this way, if pigmentation/color is uniform, a lot of scars are practically invisible.

Damn....you guys sure know all about lighting.

Yeah, tinted reflections are bad. So are many bathroom lights--omg that looks baaad.

Daylight seems to be okay though. Basically FoxyLove said it right.

So, here's one big thing -- scars are MUCH more visible when they have residual redness or pigmentation in them. Solution -- not sure...maybe ipl or something.

Infact let me put it this way, if pigmentation/color is uniform, a lot of scars are practically invisible.

Agreed! my scars look crap cause of some pigmentation and redness!

You know those sunguard things in your car that you can flip down when it gets bright? They often have mirrors on them... I literally look like a monster from a bad movie in those things. Anyone else notice this, know why?

There have been times where I've driven somewhere, flipped the mirror down to check my hair, and then turned straight back around and gone home. I'm a lot less insecure now, but its still hard to stomach.

It's because a car mirror makes EVERYTHING more obvious. It's great for twieezing eyebrows though.

Why is that though? Are they different from the normal mirrors hanging on the wall inside? Kinda strange.

Scars are mostly apparent in pictures because eyes and heads are rarely still in real life, so the texture evens out.

I've seen people with some scarring and it doesn't seem to bother me, so what I think is that my scarring shouldn't bother other people.

yeah a certain type of lighting in only one direction from the side sure makes me look bad

Agreed

I dont think its the mirror in the car but the sunlight hitting your skin that makes every flaw noticable. Also anything reflective sucks

yeah a certain type of lighting in only one direction from the side sure makes me look bad

I think the worst is when you have shade over one half of your face & sunlight coming on the other half

I think the worst is when you have shade over one half of your face & sunlight coming on the other half

gosh that type of light makes me wanna *hit bricks!

yeh wow i agree. the car mirror is the worst mirror I have ever seen my face in. And I always think thats how people see other peoples skin in real life though.

Is it someone able to explain why scarring looks so bad in car windows, shop windows, all kinds of tinted windows? I'm pretty sure nobody sees our scarring like that, but it looks so much worse

Is it someone able to explain why scarring looks so bad in car windows, shop windows, all kinds of tinted windows? I'm pretty sure nobody sees our scarring like that, but it looks so much worse

Its simple really.

The mirrors we look bad in are the same mirrors everybody looks bad in. (Regardless of scarring or not).

Even if you didn't have any scarring, you would still look hidious in the same mirrors.

Mirror types, lighting, how you're feeling, what you are wearing, your overall level of confidence.... etc. They all play a massive part.

Even seemingly perfect models have their ugly moments. It happens to everyone.

But because we have some discolouration or pits on our face, its an easy thing to point the finger at.

We look so different under different types of lighting, because we know exactly what faults we are looking out for. When other people see you moving in and out of different lighting, they honestly couldn't care less how the lighting effects you. They already have a physical perception of you in their mind. They aren't thinking about how different you look in different levels of lighting.

When you see other people working under fluorescent lighting, are you honestly thinking about how bad the lighting makes them look? Of course not! And neither are they! :D

So quit worrying people. Other people honestly couldn't care less.

Hmm.. I dont really feel more "ugly" in those reflective windows, it's just that my scars are so damn obvious they look about 5 times deeper. It's weird because I know my scars aren't as bad as they show. It has something to do with shadowing, dont know.

I dont see how someone with flawless skin would look "bad" in reflective windows.

Edited by Ziko

Hmm.. I dont really feel more "ugly" in those reflective windows, it's just that my scars are so damn obvious they look about 5 times deeper. It's weird because I know my scars aren't as bad as they show. It has something to do with shadowing, dont know.

I dont see how someone with flawless skin would look "bad" in reflective windows.

Because bad mirrors don't just effect the appearance of scars. They effect everything else about your appearance as well. But because you are focusing mainly on the scars, you aren't paying attention to the other flaws that those mirrors/windows expose.

Trust me. If your flaws look worse in a mirror, everybodies flaws look worse. Whether its their skin, their nose, their mouth, their eyes, their hair, their ears, the shape of their head etc. And everybody has things about themselves that they percieve as flaws. But just because they percieve them as flaws, doesn't mean that other people are percieving them in the same way.

We are always far harsher on ourselves than we are on other people.