Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
X3Kell3X

Getting defeated, just need some words of encouragement :(

hello everyone!!

well ive tried lots and lots of medicines to clear my acne!

May 2009 i went accutane for my mild/moderate persistant acne. Although my acne improved from more moderate with occasional cysts to mild, its still there. After 7 months of tane i still brokeout and basically had a pimple or two everyday.

Well, then after i went off tane it turned to 3 or 4 everyday, 5 maybe. AND my HORRIBLY oily skin came back immediatly.

So i went to the derm and used tazorac and ziana for 3 or 4 months (no improvement)

Finally she put me on Spiro. month 1/2 i was on 25mg and continued the taz/ziana

month 3 i was upped to 50mg and given differin .3% gel rather than taz/ziana

Now month 4 i am on 50 mg and differin

Now considering that i was on accutane i figured that at this time i wouldn't even be worrying about acne anymore!! or at least i would have a few months of being clear and not have to worry about it until it came back. uh no. it never stopped. luckkyyy me.

So i had an IB with Spiro. now i just seem to break out, those pimples clear, and new ones appear right away. its driving me nuts! Everyday its a new breakout. I figured maybe at some point it would slow down. Maybe only a new breakout every other day. IDK! but its a never ending cycle.

Im just losing alot of hope right now, that nothing works for me. I don't wanna give up on spiro, but im just upset.. like if tane didn't work, how will this work? and whats annoying is, my acne is mild/ moderate!! wtf!! ugh.

ugh..ugh. ha

I would like to wake up AT LEAST ONE MORNING and not worry about how many new pimples i got that night!

:( so i guess any spiro takers, is this normal? starting 4 months and no improvement? I was hoping that for my 18th bday i would at least maybe just have one breakout. i haven't had a clear bday since i turned 13. From then on it went downhill.

Hi there,

When I was researching spiro I read for countless hours. If you are motivated to do this, google "spironolactone reviews". Plus there are a couple of really fascinating logs by women who have struggled for months and then won!!! Innerredhead is one. There is another one that I wrote to but her name escapes me at the moment. These girls almost gave up and then cleared in the 5 - 6 month range. Your combo of BC pills and the amount of spiro might not be enough for you. Yaz and 50 mgs actually seems to do the trick for my daughter but most women seem to need 100 mgs or more. Tri-Sprintec was a nightmare for her as far as complexion goes. But others are fine - plus she wasn't on spiro at that time. Spiro is the magic bullet but you need to be taking enough. DD was on accutane also and it did nothing good.

good to know! thanks! it makes me hopeful that people at least saw results at month 5 and 6. yaa see my derm is really cautious and wants to keep checking my bloodwork for spiro. So she only ups my dose every 2 months. so i have one month then im really hoping she ups it 100mg. I tried so hard to get on Yaz!! but my doc (who gives me BC not the derm) won't perscibe it cuz of the law suits. i was sooo pissed. but ive been on tri-sprintec for like 2 years. im scared to change cuz it would probably break me out.

so im just guessing spiro takes forever... like tane.

but when i have my appt in august im gunna demand that she ups itt!! cuz my bloodwork is fine. it was perfect with tane! s

Better safe than sorry! Labwork for spiro is different from that of labwork for Accutane. Spiro affects the elecrolytes, can lead to dehydration, relative sodium excess, and potassium overload. Of course labwork for spiro use may also include liver function but it most likely regularly includes kidney function, particularly BUN and creatinine as dehydration can affect kidney function (and just about every single facet of the body's function, really).

Dehydration and potassium excess are real concerns on spiro. It's GOOD your doctor is being so conservative; she doesn't want you to die....

And remember Boston50's wise words! Patience. :) It can take a while to see the benefit of spiro.

Yaz has almost as many negative acne experiences that I've read on these boards as positive. Perhaps talk with your doctor about another BCP option. If she's not willing to prescribe Yaz, respect that decision as she's really looking out for you!

HI I also tried accutane with no luck. I think 50mgs of spiro is not nearly enough. I just started on 50 and I'm supposed to increase my dosage to 100mg after 2 weeks. I know exactly what you're going through. I also just got put on Yaz...so we will see. I currently am breaking out horribly!! But have only been on the pills for 5 days. I was curious if you're supposed to get an IB breakout with spiro?!?

Thanks for the replies everyone!! sorry for the late response. ive been at camp with no internet :(

haha

@Wynne: Ya it is great that my derm is so protective. she made it so i didn't have ANY problems on tane (except that i never cleared up) but thats okay. it improved. Im going to be patient! its gotten a little better just in the past few days. but im not getting my hopes up.

@Anti-Em: Ya it could be Differin just bringing everything out. But im going to give it time to clear things up

@LATOO: Wow its great to meet someone else who wasn't cleared up tane!! ya 50mg is low. i just have a couple weeks and im hopefully having it upped to 100mg. Im not a Yaz so im not sure what thats like. But i got an inital breakout, but im guessing it was more from differin than from spiro. so im not 100% sure if u get an IB. but its defiantly possible.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! sorry for the late response. ive been at camp with no internet :(

haha

@Wynne: Ya it is great that my derm is so protective. she made it so i didn't have ANY problems on tane (except that i never cleared up) but thats okay. it improved. Im going to be patient! its gotten a little better just in the past few days. but im not getting my hopes up.

@Anti-Em: Ya it could be Differin just bringing everything out. But im going to give it time to clear things up

@LATOO: Wow its great to meet someone else who wasn't cleared up tane!! ya 50mg is low. i just have a couple weeks and im hopefully having it upped to 100mg. Im not a Yaz so im not sure what thats like. But i got an inital breakout, but im guessing it was more from differin than from spiro. so im not 100% sure if u get an IB. but its defiantly possible.

haha

i too am slow in seeing results..I started on spiro 3/31/10 so i'm only 3 1/2 months into it and was hoping things would be better...they improved slightly around mid may and then started to get alot of clogged pores again in late june. I upped my dosage to 75mg from 50mg and so far things still have not improved in fact today is a bad day..I've been picking alot of these clogged pores only to find i dont get the plug or whatever is in there and it then takes several days to scab and heal.. Although they look llike whiteheads that can easily be removed they are not. I've tried steaming my face and gently pressing them out with a blachead remover and sometimes it works and other times I make a bad thing worse...UGH...I'm going to be 43 soon and cannot believe that my life revolves around my skin now for 30yrs!! I"m hoping like everyone else that my oil production lessens soon..

@wicky: ya im at the same spot as u!1 3.5 months of spiro! im still at 50mg though... im hopefully getting it upped at the end of this month. ur breakouts sort of sound like mine. im getting medium sized white heads that seem like they'd be easy to pop but they aren't, they just hurt. try not to pick! im going to try too. it'll just leave scars :( i learned the hard way on accutane when i picked during the IB and i still have terrible red marks.

ur oil production hasn't lessened at all?? give it some more time im sure it will. I can't wait to get my dose upped!

@bek: umm ive been on spiro for almost 4 months and differin.. almost 2 months.

Currently: my skin cleared up after i wrote this post orginally. when i wrote it my skin was BAD. well bad for me (it was worse before tane) but anyway. it was bad for the times. i had like 3 breakouts on my chin. one between my eye brows, and like two on my forehead. and they were large red, and painful. However, the ones on the chin have cleared up and my skin looks pretty good! i have a big red pimple in the center of my forehead and 2 along my hairline (probably from field hockey camp where i sweated alot)

But for now, my skin is pretty good, but im afraid like every other time, that itll clear, then breakout again, then clear, etc. the never ending cycle... either that or my meds are kicking in..idk. i don't wanna get my hopes up.

i am! i only have 3 breakouts which is good for me, and no new ones that i can see. My skin looks alot smoother too! and my red marks are fading yay!

i am! i only have 3 breakouts which is good for me, and no new ones that i can see. My skin looks alot smoother too! and my red marks are fading yay!

yaa im happy! ill let u know how the next few days and weeks play out. im hoping for more improvement! im hoping its pretty clear when school starts! senior year.. ugh ha.

yaa im happy! ill let u know how the next few days and weeks play out. im hoping for more improvement! im hoping its pretty clear when school starts! senior year.. ugh ha.

Hey I was on roaccutane too! Twice - once three years ago and last year. And it was amazing whilst I was on it. But once i came off eventually I got greasy again. I think part of the problem is that I've had great skin just when on those drugs so anything now feels horrible! Plus I need to wash my hair every other day, blot my nose all the time etc. - stuff I didn't have to do before. But I'm on spiro now, have been for twelve days and I think there is less oil already. PLus the positive reviews on here are giving me hope!

yayay! ur like me. ya spiro is drying out my skin, so is differin. its actually annoying. but i do like it better than oily, thats for sure! whats ur dose??? and are u just using spiro or a topical too? i only have one breakout at the moment and another one healing :) but im dry. oh well. but i still get oily by the end of the day on my nose chin and forehead. weird.