Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acnedefeater

How Strong is the Regimen?? Will It Overcome an Unhealthy Lifestyle?

I've been on the Regimen for close to 2 years now and I'm 100% clear.

However, 3 weeks ago I moved across the country to start a new job and I experienced the following conditions:

1) increased stress (moving, getting things ready, making arrangements, getting used to my new job etc.)

2) lack of sleep (a lot of things to do in a short amount of time & work related responsibilities) = more physical sress

3) unhealthy eating habits (a lot of burgers, fries, etc. due to a lack of healthy foods available on the go)

4) An increase in dairy products (I woud pack quick breakfast foods such as dairy smoothies, yogurt, eat cereal with milk etc.)

5) increased sun exposure ( I moved to a warmer climate where the sun is very bright)

6) Perhaps different water conditions

I experienced two extremely small whiteheads on my face (one on the side of my nose, and one just below my right nostril), one very small zit on my stomach out of all places, and one flesh-colored/ enlarged pore-like thing on my right cheek.

Obviously I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle for the last few weeks and the results have shown themselves. I have normally been 100% clear but I got a few, almost unoticeable whiteheads.

Sure enough an unhealthy lifestyle caused me to breakout. My question is will the Regimen save my from an unhealthy lifestyle? Obviously I have changed my ways and I'm absolutely clear once again, but just how strong is the Regimen?

If you follow an unhealthy lifestyle with poor nutrition and lack of sleep, acne is the least of your worries =)

i got clear using the regimen before i started following a healthy lifestyle. i now follow one, just because i want to keep generally healthy, but i find it is possible to just get clear otherwise.

Water conditions would probably be one of the main things to watch for when it comes to getting acne. Some places have harder water than others and in your previous house you might have had either a water softener or the water wasn't as hard as the place you're living now. Hard water contains a ton of minerals and metals and will actually dry out your skin because all of the soap doesn't wash off when using hard water (the minerals react badly to soap).

And, hahaha, I've eaten an unhealthy diet in the 4 years I've been on the regimen. I'm sure for some it's a factor, but to me food doesn't play a huge part in acne. In fact, it doesn't affect my acne at all. And I take no supplements.

Not getting enough sleep might cause a little breakout because your skin doesn't have enough time to rejuvenate itself while you're sleeping, but at the moment I get only 5-6 hours of sleep a night and it hasn't effected me yet, and I've been on this sleeping schedule for about 2 months now.

Increased sun exposure might make your skin discolor more than it has in the past. Either try to find a moisturizer with SPF or avoid prolonged time in the sun.

Stress used to be a huge factor for me when I suffered from acne. But after using the regimen, "stress pimples" are very rare.

Over analyzing your sudden "pimples" is probably not helping your situation. No offense, but when you said you noticed a "very small zit on your stomach", it kind of made me think that you might be over analyzing the situation. I'm 4 years on the regimen and I still get pimples, sometimes on my face (but not that often because I use the regimen on my face) and sometimes on my shoulders or back or legs or neck. No one can be flawless. Just relax, keep doing the regimen, and you should be fine. If your acne really flares up, I'd blame the water quality in your house before anything else.

Water conditions would probably be one of the main things to watch for when it comes to getting acne. Some places have harder water than others and in your previous house you might have had either a water softener or the water wasn't as hard as the place you're living now. Hard water contains a ton of minerals and metals and will actually dry out your skin because all of the soap doesn't wash off when using hard water (the minerals react badly to soap).

And, hahaha, I've eaten an unhealthy diet in the 4 years I've been on the regimen. I'm sure for some it's a factor, but to me food doesn't play a huge part in acne. In fact, it doesn't affect my acne at all. And I take no supplements.

Not getting enough sleep might cause a little breakout because your skin doesn't have enough time to rejuvenate itself while you're sleeping, but at the moment I get only 5-6 hours of sleep a night and it hasn't effected me yet, and I've been on this sleeping schedule for about 2 months now.

Increased sun exposure might make your skin discolor more than it has in the past. Either try to find a moisturizer with SPF or avoid prolonged time in the sun.

Stress used to be a huge factor for me when I suffered from acne. But after using the regimen, "stress pimples" are very rare.

Over analyzing your sudden "pimples" is probably not helping your situation. No offense, but when you said you noticed a "very small zit on your stomach", it kind of made me think that you might be over analyzing the situation. I'm 4 years on the regimen and I still get pimples, sometimes on my face (but not that often because I use the regimen on my face) and sometimes on my shoulders or back or legs or neck. No one can be flawless. Just relax, keep doing the regimen, and you should be fine. If your acne really flares up, I'd blame the water quality in your house before anything else.

I recently got a dechlorinating/water softening shower filter

Edited by joeyci91

As an update, I found out that I moved from a "soft" water area (greater New York City area) to a very "hard" water area (Southern California).

I never used to get any blemishes. Maybe a very, very small whitehead (you couldn't even tell it was a spot) once every five or six months. Since I have moved out to California, in the last four weeks I have had 5 small whiteheads.

I'm definitely thinking it is the "hard" water that is negatively effecting my skin.

To both joeyci91 and Acnedefeater, hard water is a big culprit when it comes to acne. From what I know about it, hard water doesn't react well with soaps because of the minerals and metals contained in the water. And because of that, washing in hard water will actually leave a thin layer of soap scum on your skin and hair. Just the thought of it makes you understand the fact that when we use hard water it makes us breakout.

I, too, recently moved to an area that has hard water and since I've moved here, I haven't had any huge breakouts (thanks to diligent applications of BP) but I do get pimples more often than when I lived in a house that had a water softener. In the 2 months I've been living here, I've had about 5 or 6 pimples, wheras when I lived in a house with a water softener, I got maybe one pimple every 4-5 months.

I actually just recently bought a water softener, but am having problems with the piping and it's not installed yet. Can't wait for the day it gets installed and running! Haha.

The other thing I notice with hard water is that it dries your skin out like crazy. My skin, even after moisturizing and even after jojoba oil, is still somewhat dry and flaky in certain areas. When I had a water softener, my skin was not only clear 99.9% of the time, but was also smooth and hydrated as hell. Hard water really is a bitch.

Acnedefeater, you could either invest in a water softener (but they're not cheap, about $300-$600) for your house, or you could start washing your face with spring water you buy in the jug which contains no minerals or metals normally found in the water coming from your taps. In the long run, you'd probably save money by just installing a water softener, plus you'll be saving a lot of headache because you won't have to worry about not letting the tap water touch your face, warming up the spring water, etc.

There might be some other options out there to help with purifying the water you're now using, but the only one I know and trust is the water softener you get installed in your house. It purifies the water with salt causing a brine solution to mix with the water that will come from your taps. The salt dissolves the minerals in the water. Drinking water from a house that has a water softener isn't the greatest, because the water will taste a bit salty. But it will leave your skin, hair, , bathtub, and dishes without any soap scum buildup.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle