Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ucfguy3

7th Course of Accutane for folliculitis? :(

Hi,

About once a year, in desperation, I come on here to see if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and has found how to successfully manage their skin issues.

I've had skin problems since I was 13. At times, it's flared up and been absolutely horrible. Other times, my skin looks absolutely flawless, or at least manageable.

I've been on every antibiotic countless times, every topical you can imagine, diet modifications, alternative medicines, homeopathic remedies, and 6 courses of accutane. The last few courses were only about three months, before side-effects forced me to give up.

I believe my problem is more folliculitis than acne, though I do have acne still. Right now, I'm dealing with pityrosporum folliculitis all over my chest and stomach (and I think my face is partly this too). I'm on fluconazole and ketaconazole and use other otc washes. It seems to make the infection die down a bit, but then it just comes right back.

Also, over the past few days, my face has erupted with horrible green liquid pus-filled pustules. This is occurring on pretty much every part of my face, even behind my ears and on my earlobe. Something is very wrong. I believe it could be gram-negative folliculitis again.

My derm has given up and says I can go on accutane again if I want, indefinitely (over a year) and just see what happens. I know I've probably already damaged my body greatly from all these medicines, especially the accutane, but I think I'm going to do it. I don't know what else to do. :(

Any input?

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you've had such a rough go.

I have also had acne since the age of 13 and am now 32 and still struggling with it (it's worse!)

I have been on accutane about 4 times and the acne always comes back when I finish. Recently (in the last few years) I have tried low dose accutane (20 mg) per day to lessen the side effects--this tends to work well to clear me and viola!!!...no side effects (except chapped lips). I would highly recommend that you try low dose accutane if you go back on it if you haven't already.

I have also had reoccurring folliculitis on my arms and butt (so embarrassing!) which I really cleared up using Dermistat which is the same as Hibiclens. You should seriously try this for your folliculitis...it has worked when oral antibiotics have failed. But you may need to constantly wash with it to keep your problem at bay.

Sorry if this didn't help...just know you are not alone. Maybe by sharing experiences we can all get better one day....good luck :)

Hi,

I have also had acne since the age of 13 and am now 32 and still struggling with it (it's worse!)

I have been on accutane about 4 times and the acne always comes back when I finish. Recently (in the last few years) I have tried low dose accutane (20 mg) per day to lessen the side effects--this tends to work well to clear me and viola!!!...no side effects (except chapped lips). I would highly recommend that you try low dose accutane if you go back on it if you haven't already.

I have also had reoccurring folliculitis on my arms and butt (so embarrassing!) which I really cleared up using Dermistat which is the same as Hibiclens. You should seriously try this for your folliculitis...it has worked when oral antibiotics have failed. But you may need to constantly wash with it to keep your problem at bay.

Sorry if this didn't help...just know you are not alone. Maybe by sharing experiences we can all get better one day....good luck :)

Thank you for the input! I do feel a little better.

I've had derms suggest low-dose Accutane before. I will bring this up with my doctor.

As for the hibiclens, it has worked wonders in the past. I now feel like my bacteria has grown resistant to it. It used to totally clear me/keep it at bay. Now I'm just dried out and there is no reduction in pustules :(

I'll keep trying new things.

Hi,

I've had derms suggest low-dose Accutane before. I will bring this up with my doctor.

As for the hibiclens, it has worked wonders in the past. I now feel like my bacteria has grown resistant to it. It used to totally clear me/keep it at bay. Now I'm just dried out and there is no reduction in pustules :(

Maybe your folliculitis is fungal or something...have you had a culture done on it? If not you should ask your doctor to swab it.

If it's caused by a fungus...and I believe there is a few other causes as well...antibacterial washes won't be that effective.

Good luck and let me know how things go for you k :)

Hi,

Maybe your folliculitis is fungal or something...have you had a culture done on it? If not you should ask your doctor to swab it.

If it's caused by a fungus...and I believe there is a few other causes as well...antibacterial washes won't be that effective.

Good luck and let me know how things go for you k :)

I'm 90% certain that what is on my chest/stomach/shoulders is from a fungal infection. The fluconazole only made the infection go away briefly for a day or so. There was a noticeable difference though, and a bacterial infection wouldn't have died down due to an anti-fungal med.

Unfortunately, the diflucan isn't really doing much now, and I imagine when I stop the infection will come back full-force. I've read a lot about this. There are a couple other oral fungal infections, but neither are that great. There are "natural" remodies such as tea tree oil (been trying that, no success) and coconut oil (tried this too), etc.

Another option of course is Accutane. I've had the bloodwork and I think I'm going to go on it a 7th time later this month. :(

Go to a regular doctor and have ALL your lesions swabbed. The lab will (or can) run culture (to determine what type of pathogen is involved) and sensitivity (to determine what product is best for that particular pathogen) tests. That's your best bet.

Insist on swab tests for culture and sensitivity, since you've been on so many antibiotics it's likely the bacteria have developed resistance to most commonly used antibiotics.

The green discharge sounds more like a staph infection or some other kind of bacteria, not p. acnes.

Do NOT use any topical antibiotic preps before you get your tests done; those can kill the bacteria and then you won't know what you have OR how best to treat it.

Once you've had the swabs done, ask your doctor about the advisability of occasionally using something like Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) as a wash a few times a week.

Go to a regular doctor and have ALL your lesions swabbed. The lab will (or can) run culture (to determine what type of pathogen is involved) and sensitivity (to determine what product is best for that particular pathogen) tests. That's your best bet.

Insist on swab tests for culture and sensitivity, since you've been on so many antibiotics it's likely the bacteria have developed resistance to most commonly used antibiotics.

The green discharge sounds more like a staph infection or some other kind of bacteria, not p. acnes.

Do NOT use any topical antibiotic preps before you get your tests done; those can kill the bacteria and then you won't know what you have OR how best to treat it.

Once you've had the swabs done, ask your doctor about the advisability of occasionally using something like Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) as a wash a few times a week.

Hi Wynne,

Thanks for the reply!

I really like your idea of taking cultures and feel more doctors need to do this. I guess it would be a good idea to check.

The only thing is, I've been on soooooooo many antibiotics, I'm kind of afraid to go on any more.

Could the fungal infection from my chest have spread to my face/neck? Fungus wouldn't cause green pus, would it? Could the fungus cause secondary bacterial infections?

So, no benzoyl peroxide for a little while before going to the doctor for swabs?

I use Hibiclens now. It used to work beautifully. Now, no results. Whatever bacteria I have is super intense. :(

I can't diagnose. ;)

No BP, no hibiclens for at least a week before your doctor visit. So make the appointment, explain you want swabs with culture and sensitivity and see what happen with the results. Explain you've had many antibiotics and that you now have green pus. That'll get their attention and make it more likely that you'll get swabs. Explain you're concerned about resistance, too. It might help to write it all down BEFORE you call so you can make your points in a logical sequence AND also take your points with you to the doctor so you can remake those points if needed.

Please talk to your doctor about using the hibiclens and any other things like that. You may be killing beneficial bacteria, leaving pathogenic bacteria that aren't killed by what you're using able and more than willing to create other infections.

I have the same problem aswell. we really are the unlucky ones! i took roaccutane for my scalp follilulis and acne my back. i did also have acne on my face but nothing significant, i just had oily skin. i took roaccutane for less than month at 40mgs but stopped after the side effects were too much to handle.

my scalp folliculitis has come back really bad and it has now spread into my beard region. i only get acne near my sideburns and beard region. but the acne is different then previous acne as i dont get any whiteheads, just painful red bumps. i believe i now have beard folliclutis. my back acne is returning now and getting worse. im 20 and have had acne and scalp folliculis for 5 years now. i have tried everything the doctor has given me...creams, gels, steroids, anti biotics and now roaccutane but nothing works. the roaccutane was working excellent but i stopped because of the side effects. i am totally lost now. i dont know what to do and feel so desperate. please can somehow offer some advise.

thank you

Hey buddy,

I am on my second course of Accutane and I clear from the forehead, cheeks, T-Zone, BUT I still get breakouts around my jaw/chin area.

After my course I have decided to get electrolysis (I mean as a guy I know that sounds weird but I don't grow a bear because I'd look like a 12 year old trying to grow a beard).

Anyways Folliculitis is a inflamed HAIR follicle no amount of Accutane courses is going to take care of that and I'm surprised your derm. hasn't told you that and that you have been on 7 courses. If you are noticing that these bumps have a ingrown hair in the middle then it is indeed Folliculitis! The breakouts on my jaw for example, if I look real close I can see a small dark hair which is causing this.

I would try laser for body but electrolysis ONLY for the face. Laser on face is a waste of money. Expensive so save.