Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
onceperfect

Preventing Night blindness side effect while on accutane

I'm studying to be a pilot and am considered the side effect of night blindness from using accutane, though it may be uncommon, it is still a big risk to take since you could be that 1% out of 100%. So i found a paper about the possible mechanism behind the cause of night blindness, and that is the isotrentinoin (accutane) takes the place of the vitamin A in the receptors that create the rods in your eye, the way to prevent it, take vitamin A supplements while on accutane against what it says on the packaging. Read more here.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/95/letters/is...noin/danby.html

Edited by onceperfect

Topic moved. The "Accutane logs" section is for keeping a personal log, not for discussing studies.

Do not take vitamin A supplements while on Accutane without consulting your derm first!

Where was it moved to?

Read the paper steve, it says the risk of toxicity to your liver is small in comparison to the risk of night blindness. I for one, would rather my eyes, as unlike a liver they do not regenerate and they are very important to me as a pilot. Others may not feel the same way but these are the facts. Atleast your liver can be monitored, the night blind ness is a sudden and perminant onset.

Have your acne and you can keep both. Plus night blindless is very rare to get, much rarer than hair loss. Around the same % has diabetes and ibs

though that may be true, i also feel that perhaps cases of night blindness have gone by unnoticed, just as SClipper has mentioned, and not been registered

I know it's a small risk and yet its a risk some cannot take, so i'm just putting the info i found out there for them.

I'm not seriously considering accutane and will be taking vitamin A tablets for a month before i start, and perhaps even during, i'll keep my liver on check.

Edited by onceperfect

Have your acne and you can keep both. Plus night blindless is very rare to get, much rarer than hair loss. Around the same % has diabetes and ibs

I don't think hair loss is rare.

It is about 10-13%. I don't consider that rare, but I definitely don't interpret it as common.

Yeah hairloss not baldness, And if its 10-13% maybe 3-4 of that is perm(The type when other people notice you have bald spots.) and like 1% get actually bald. And the rest is shedding that grows back. So no big deal.

Yeah hairloss not baldness, And if its 10-13% maybe 3-4 of that is perm(The type when other people notice you have bald spots.) and like 1% get actually bald. And the rest is shedding that grows back. So no big deal.

It is about 10-13%. I don't consider that rare, but I definitely don't interpret it as common.

ive definitely got nightblindness from accutane. its not severe, just blurry vision and a few headaches from overstraining my eyes. it all returns to normal after yeah?