Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About me and my skin:

Hi everyone. My name is Jessie I am 23 years old and I have had acne since I was 14. At first I had mild acne. Just little bumps and some black heads. By the time I was 16 my face was very red, inflamed and I had cysts. No such thing as a small zit here, they are always GIGANTIC. I do not have oily skin, I am pretty dry and have always had to use heavy duty moisterizer. I don’t break out on my chest and occasionally get a pimple or two on my back and neck. My problem areas are: Jawline, cheeks and around my mouth.

What I have tried:

I tried EVERYTHING; antiobiotics, benzaclyn, differen gel, aczone gel, retina a, pro active,birth control pills that promise to clear skin..I cannot even remember it all. Nothing ever made the acne go away. One thing that put a dent in it was this regimen I had been using for 12 weeks: minocyclin 1X a day, using retina a gel at night, aczone gel in the morning and washing my face twice a day with peroxly bar 10% and I was taking ortho tri cyclen lo birth control. The redness went down a lot and the acne was not as inflamed.

My dermatologist said to me LETS CURE THIS ACNE! I said sign me up!! UGH I cannot take this anymore. I am getting married in October and the last thing I need is acne to ruin one of the most special days of my life. My dermatologist swears my skin will be gorgeous by my wedding day.

Claraivs (accutane)

I am on my 5th day of Claravis (accutane). I weigh 125 and am taking 40 mg once a day. I am washing with cervae face wash twice a day. I love this cleanser because I can feel it hydrating my skin as it cleanses. I use Aveeno calming naturals moisturizer in the morning and Clinique gel in the evening. I love these two moisturizers because they kept my skin hydrated, not greasy while on the retina a and washing with the peroxide bar. My face never dried out using these so I am hoping they work just as well with the accutane. So far, I have not experienced any drying of my skin, but midly chapped lips. I am using (and have been using) aquaphor. I love it.

I have had a mild headache since day two and today I was walking into work and out of nowhere I had the worst bloody nose I have ever had. It lasted for a long time and was literally gushing. I don’t usually get bloody noses so I am assuming it’s a side effect of the medicine. It is so weird because my nose does not feel dry. So far, those are the only side effects I have experienced. My face looks the same but I can feel pimples coming in around my mouth all at once. They are pretty painful. I was hoping I would not get an initial break out since I have been on the antibiotics and retina A for a few months and already experienced one. I guess we will see!

You have nothing to worry about, it is worth it to take the accutane plunge :D.

Lucky you for getting married soon too!

Once your skin clears up you will be like :catdance:

Hi Jessie!

You'll do fantastic! I'm on day 15, Claravis 60 mg. I'm pretty sure I'm going through the IB right now, but after this it's all downhill. Just think-- we'll have amazing complexions by the end of the year, and you for your wedding!

Good luck, and be sure to keep updating to let us know how it's going for you!

Amy

Hey!

Congrats on getting married! Your skin will be gorgeous.

Good luck with everything! Everyone on these board are so supportive and have great advice, so if you need anything just ask!

Thank you ladies for all the encouraging words!!

Today is...day 8. I was a day off in my last post oops.

Well lets see...I had another nose bleed this morning while washing my face. My remaining blemishes have dried up and are almost gone. They seem to shrink by the day. My lips have been pretty chapped but nothing that good ol aquaphor cannot cure. My scalp has been a little itchy and I am noticing some drying out on my nose and forehead but it is def bearable.

I have been pretty tired lately and I am having headaches ..but they go away with advil and they are not killing me. I am drinking about 2-3 liters of water a day to stay as hydrated as possible.

I feel great, still working out everday with no joint pain or anything yay!!

Hi Jessie!! :wavey:

I'm on day 9, so I'm right here with you :)

I'm experiencing pretty much the same side effects as you except for the nose bleeds *knock on wood*. The most annoying thing so far for me has to be the itchy scalp (yuk!). I am happy to report that I didn't get a single headache today, so hopefully that means that that side effect will soon be gone. I'm on 40mg right now, and hopefully moving up to 60mg soon. Will you be staying on 40mg for your entire course, or is your derm planning on bumping you up?

Congrats on the wedding, and I'm so happy to hear that you should be clear by then - fantastic news!!

Angela1985- I have no idea if the derm will knock it up or not. She told me we were starting at 40 mg and seeing how my skin responds. I guess we will see!! Good luck with your treatment. That is great we can go through this together : )

Today s day 11!!

I just have to share this amazing moment:

My fiance and I moved out to AZ after we graduated college for jobs. We are paying back student loans, trying to pay for this wedding, and recovering from our moving expenses. I found my dream wedding dress the other week and just knew we couldn’t fit that into our budget. I came into work this morning to find an envelope on my desk that says: Wishing you a beautiful wedding, go buy your dress. And it had 300.00 in it. I was in tears. All my coworkers came over and hugged me and said we are a family here. Just when you think things are at their worst, something AMAZING happens… Just thought I would share that : )

Anyway..back to the accutane-

I have one huge zit right above my lip and I can see it out of the corner of my eye..YES I want to get rid of it but NO I will not give in. The rest of my complexion looks better, like its glowing or something. My lips are peeling like crazy and my skin is super itchy. My scalp is the worst, HUGE flakes in my hair. Anyone suggest a shampoo to use? I don’t like those medinciney smelling types. Still feel amazing and I am really looking forward to clear skin.

Also- does anyone know if the accutane helps with the scars??

Aww that's so nice of your co-workers!! I don't know what to use for shampoo but I have head and shoulders. I have not experienced dry scalp though, yet.

Congrats on getting married and best of luck to you on your course. I hope you see great resuts by your big day :dance:

OMG!!! that was so nice from your coworkers! i am on day 8 and i am experiencing everything you just mentioned... keep strong

That is the sweetest story - what amazing coworkers you have!! Now you can go and buy your dream wedding dress and feel even more confident and beautiful on your special day :)

What are you using on your lips? I'm using Aquaphor and I absolutely LOVE it!! After I eat or drink my lips definitely feel drier, so I have to reapply but when I have it on it's so slippery and hydrating it's amazing. If I'm able to solve the gross flaky scalp issue I'll let you know..it looks like I have the most nasty dandruff - ew!

Angela- using aquaphor too! I love it also!! I apply it every 30 minutes im sure of it haha.

Day 15!

Well my I think my face has done the dreaded IB. I have three new zits on my cheek : ( I know it takes time for things to start clearing but as of right now I think my face is acting the same as it always has. My skin is SOOO itchy. My back and scalp are the worst. EVEN the insides of my eyelids are itching. It def looks like I have dandruff. I bought this tea tree oil shampoo but it doesnt seem to be helping the itching or flaking yet. My headaches went away completely!! YAY! My skin on my face is a little dry but you cannot even notice. Im waiting for my clear skin!

I am in a very similar situation to you! I just started accutane, Im taking 40mg once a day, I breakout on my jawline, mouth, and chin (for the most part), Im 23 and Im getting married soon which is a huge reason I took the plunge and finally decided to try accutane! Good Luck and I will most definitely be following your log so I know what to expect and what others in my situation are going through. I cant wait until we both have beautiful skin for our weddings!! ahhhh it seems so close but oh so far! haha cant wait! :) Paige

Day 23

Sorry I dont post every day haha. Im slacking.

Well yay the IB is here and its AWFUL. My zits are GIANTS on my chin and cheeks. :cry: But I am okay because I know this is temporary. But it seems like they dry up SO fast and are healing pretty quickly. My skin feels really dry and flaky and not smooth at all.

Joints feel great, scalp is still a little itchy, eyes are a little itchy and my arms are itchy but nothing I cannot live with. I see the derm next week, maybe we can up this dosage?! I have three months exactly today for my wedding! :D My dress just arrived yesterday! Hopefully my skin is as gorgeous as this dress!

Love love

Day 33

Uh so my derm tried to up my dosage to 90 mg and my insurance denied it but the whole process took so long i missed 5 days : ( So I am still taking 40 mg but I dont mind BECAUSE......

my face is completely clear :D And its only been one month!

My skin has been EXTREMELY itchy. I have been using Eucerin calming cream and thats helping. My lips arent as dried out as they used to be, but my nose hurts. I just bough some saline spray, hopefully that helps. And my lower back has been KILLING me. I have a friend who started the same time I did and she said her back has been hurting too. Anyone else??