Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm..._attractiveness

Just a random article I found today in my random web surfing.

Now it doesn't talk about acne scarring but for guys out there maybe we hate our scars but maybe if we take a different approach to this whole having scars thing we can find happiness with scars or without.

Either way, with scar therapy you should be able to make them less noticable and otherwise they could be considered masculine...if you yourself are masculine...so get to the gym haha.

wheres the article about men finding women with scarring attractive? ah yes, it doesnt exist.

Yeah i know the feeling especially if you guys are decent looking and I am sure that most of you are decent looking because even average people can make themselves more attractive with proper hairstyles, facial hair combos, hair coloring, good physique and clothing etc.

So what sucks is if you have most of those things like a cute face, nice hair and maybe even are in good shape (fyi if you have a great body that will help your confidence a lot probably...but will probably still feel like a butter face inside lol jk)

Anyways what sucks is the feeling that you are never good enough...

Yeah hollywood people have some scars but theirs are usually so minor except the rare few...

What sucks even worse is. Where are the best doctors for this in the country? It seems like UK has some really great doctors for this and some in US really suck.

As far as women I am sorry there isn't an article on that.

If it makes you feel any better the article is talking about a facial scar that came by an accident not through acne or chicken pox...so I mean it isn't like it is great to have scarring either way since most here have it from acne.

:(

Anyways was just trying to cheer ya guys up and myself as well...

Come on guys.... anybody can look attractive if they really want to.

Get a smart hair cut, wear smart clothes, take care of your teeth, clean your ears, wear nice aftershave/perfume, walk with a swagger and that shiney smile. Wear a touch of make up on those red marks if you think it will improve your confidence more. Be a class above the rest at the party.... and most importantly, simply don't care.

Scars are a part of you now and you shouldn't be ashamed of them.

Everybody comes in different heights, weights, hair colours, eye colours, Ears shapes and nose sizes. And skin is no exception.

Remember, you're in your skin, your skin isn't in you, so it can't effect you unless you allow it to.

Go out and be brave! Its attractive!

Yeah i know the feeling especially if you guys are decent looking and I am sure that most of you are decent looking because even average people can make themselves more attractive with proper hairstyles, facial hair combos, hair coloring, good physique and clothing etc.

So what sucks is if you have most of those things like a cute face, nice hair and maybe even are in good shape (fyi if you have a great body that will help your confidence a lot probably...but will probably still feel like a butter face inside lol jk)

Yeah hollywood people have some scars but theirs are usually so minor except the rare few...

What sucks even worse is. Where are the best doctors for this in the country? It seems like UK has some really great doctors for this and some in US really suck.

If it makes you feel any better the article is talking about a facial scar that came by an accident not through acne or chicken pox...so I mean it isn't like it is great to have scarring either way since most here have it from acne.

Hey.

The reason the scars on most hollywood actors look very minor is because of the lighting techniques used. You will never find a hollywood actor with acne scars standing directly under a light! :)

If you look at yourself in a mirror and put a lamp directly above your head, your scars will look very depressed and noticable.

However...

If you take 2 lamps and put 1 at each side of your face and look in the mirror... you will be very hard pressed to really notice any scarring at all.

And its the same sort of thing they use in hollywood or on a lot of TV shows.

Why do you think studios are so bright and they have lights coming from every angle? :lol:

The article is referring to scars of any type, including acne scars. It mentioned Brad pitt and all his scars came from acne. His scarring is also horrendious in harsher lighting. Just look at this picture of him - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OeBsEpr831Q/SXUc...Brad-Pitt-1.jpg - Thats with make up on! And hes had endless amounts of surgery! And that lighting is far from the harshest lighting he could be standing in.

The reason you don't feel like you're ever good enough, isn't because of your skin..... its because you don't feel like you're ever good enough. ;) lol

It's so unfortunate though... its like.. you have everything else going but your face is darn scarred up. And i guess its so hard to get used to... its not like we're born with scars. We were once normal, with happy/outgoing lives and out of no where we end up having horrible acne and left us disfigured. We didn't have a choice. it's not like we were reckless drivers who ends up scarred from a horrible automobile accident or anything like that... For me it's very hard to accept this is because I feel like I didnt do anythign to deserve this. I exercised regularly, weight lifted, did kickboxing, took my vitamins, low carb diet... a healthy lifestyle wasn't good enough to stop cystic acne. Yep, all i can say is that life blows when you get dealt with bad cards. three of my siblings have perfect skin, good health, and i'm left with acne and other health issues.

I know there are people that have it worst-no food, shelter, missing limbs, cancer, aids.. etc etc. but it doesnt take away the fact that having disfigured facial scars is painful and depressing as well.

oh yeah.. and the article used brad pitt as an example of how guys are attractive with scars. Well his scars are very MINOR of course he still looks attractive. Secondly, i think some female find accident facial scars attractive, like a small cut on the face, not moderate- severe acne scars.

sorry... i feel terrible today and needed to vent.

Edited by chee6119

Im totally agree sportsguy23, specially with the fact about good dr in US, It's just like today I went to a new dermatologist that dr yarborough referred to me here in miami because I just told to dr yarborough about new scarring and linear scars from dermabration that I had done with him and he told me to go to Dr Mandy in Miami where im living now, so that way I don't need to fly again to new orleans.

Dr. Mandy only drop my optimistic mood to the floor like new things are comming up with the technologies like stem cell or re cell and he told me that forget about it that stem cell hasn't even treated yet with anybody face and for scarrings purpose that we are far from there, that he is following all that, theres nothing I can do, I'm dreaming too much and the only thing that he suggest to me is the IPL laser for redness. I told him that I don't mind at all about the redness my only concern is about scarring and shiny scars. He said that I don't have scarring, when I really I do have scarring, he is treating me like I'm crazy and saying that I don't have any scars, that is very annoying when I use to get depress every day just thinking about it, my scarring are not even from acne, My scarring are due a laser procedure injury(malpractice) that I had done to remove red mark that I use to have for a few years.

My skin is white I'm (latina) and I was thinking to have done the fraxel re:pair, most of my scarring are level up with the surrounding skin, and I want to smoth out the scarring to achive better result, the only thing that help me the most was the silicon micro drop, this is without count the others several procedures that I have done, so I told him that I want something like fraxel re pair because this is the only laser that I've hear and read good feedbacks from most of the person, I'm tired of been into many procedure and spend already $20,000 and basically nothing work at all.

But then he contradict himself he told me the IPL maybe doesn't do nothing (improve) your skin(SCARRING) but neither is going to damage your skin you need at least 3 treatment and it will cost you $500 each one, so FOR WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING TO ME ABOUT ALL STUPID THING IF IS NOT GOING TO WORK, do I look stupid, he doesn't even listening to me, he was telling me: ''be calm'' and I was calm but I told him I think you don't even know how people in this situation feel and he stood quiet for a moment... also he told me that he don't think I shall do fraxel rapair because my skin color like trying to said that I'm dark, cause lately I've been tanning but only my body not my face and I look dark but Im white(latina) and all doctor has classified my skin color as light complexion, and he told me that if he will another dr maybe he will offered to me anything but that is not about money, yea right like seriously I think he is blind or he is tripping me, where is his professionalism??

In top of that they charged me $175 only for the consultation and I was told through the phone that the consultation will be subtracted from the procedure and then when I finished the consultation I asked againg to make shure if im going to have a credit if I do the procedure and they said no. I just left from the dr. office with tears in my eyes and I still crying and very depress I just feel like anything has no sense in my life that I was a model and novelas actress in my country and I use to work on t.v and the person in the dermatological clinic that originally mess my face, is having a normal live and mines is totally ruined with no hope anymore. I feel destroyed, emotionally drain, I need the strength to keep looking foward I think I will end in a hospital with this depress :cry:

Edited by badkitty

It's so unfortunate though... its like.. you have everything else going but your face is darn scarred up. And i guess its so hard to get used to... its not like we're born with scars. We were once normal, with happy/outgoing lives and out of no where we end up having horrible acne and left us disfigured. We didn't have a choice. it's not like we were reckless drivers who ends up scarred from a horrible automobile accident or anything like that... For me it's very hard to accept this is because I feel like I didnt do anythign to deserve this. I exercised regularly, weight lifted, did kickboxing, took my vitamins, low carb diet... a healthy lifestyle wasn't good enough to stop cystic acne. Yep, all i can say is that life blows when you get dealt with bad cards. three of my siblings have perfect skin, good health, and i'm left with acne and other health issues.

I know there are people that have it worst-no food, shelter, missing limbs, cancer, aids.. etc etc. but it doesnt take away the fact that having disfigured facial scars is painful and depressing as well.

oh yeah.. and the article used brad pitt as an example of how guys are attractive with scars. Well his scars are very MINOR of course he still looks attractive. Secondly, i think some female find accident facial scars attractive, like a small cut on the face, not moderate- severe acne scars.

sorry... i feel terrible today and needed to vent.

He doesn't have minor scarring though. As I explained in my last comment, its all lighting.

Acne scarring is non existent in some lighting and its that type of lighting they use in movies and such. If you met Brad Pitt in real life, you'd see just how bad his scars really are. His skin is also red and blotchy underneath the make up.

Its the same with a lot of famous people.

With the right camera, lighting & make up crew, you would look fantastic, regardless of your blemishes.

We aren't "unlucky", because bad skin is such a common problem, but we get so obsessed about how our own skin looks, that we don't bother about anybody elses.

If you had scars from a horrible car crash, or any other accident, you'd be wishing they were only acne scars.

Believe me, theres many people out there who would be in your shoes in an instant if they could.

Appreciate what you have, because you always have more than someone else.

thanks for cheering me up Fraz. I needed that. Sometimes i feel optimistic and sometimes i feel so hopeless... I've been scarred for about 6 months (started in january 2010). I really look up to the people here that has been scarred for years and still optimistic.

Some of the posts are right about the derms/plastic surgeons in the U.S, they really do suck (in many ways).Not only that they care fore money more than treating the patients, but they seem to focus so much attention on technology and procedures that's towards beauty enhancement crap-i.e facelifts, anti wrinkle, breast implants, rhinoplasty etc etc. And if those procedures HAPPENS to help the scarred patients a bit, thats a plus for them. They literally came up with those procedures with scarred patients as last priority. They usually dont come up with a procedures with scarred patients as FIRST priority... i think thats the problem with them.

for example: lasers, their main target are fixing wrinkles and looking younger.

secondly, I'm sure everybody notices that most plastic surgeons/derms website and what they advertise is all about surgery and lasers for enhancing beauty. Some may have a little category for acne and acne scars. But the website pretty much gives you the idea that they mostly focus on people that want to look YOUNGER, better body, better features... rather than fixing a person that actaully disfigured, born with abnormal features, accidental scars, scars from acne and burnt victim. I seriously think that they focus more on beauty stuff is because thats where most of the population falls into... the 'i want to look even better' category. that's pretty much where the moneys at.

I come off bias because i do have scars and im not the one who wants to "enhance beauty" by getting a nose job or anything... i think its fine that there are procedures out there to make people even more beautiful, but seriously... they also need to start focusing on the other portion of the population.

but then again, I know that skin/tissue probems is the most difficult to treat in medicine/surgery world. once your skin is damaged to a certain point (like burnt patients), theres no way to get it back to completely normal. Well, thats for now of course, not sure about the coming future. All in all, the difficulty can be a factor to why most derms/plastic surgeons procedures arent too helpful with scarred patients. They're limited to what they can do for us due to the complex nature of permanently damaged skin and societies' priority of looking younger and better.

Edited by chee6119

i thought this was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread. ive had a look and its as negative as half the emo posts. im sure if i read this more fully, id end up wanting to top myself.

sportsguy - i completely agree with you about looking your best.

Benni-b: im still picky :P just because you have scars doesnt mean you have to drop ur standards. i still choose the very best i can find. im deciding to take a break though, id rather thave no one for a bit, focus on my scars and then get back into the dating scene. id rather have no one than someone i dont find attractive.

zccv - i knew a girl with acne scars and she still dated some pretty attractive men. so not all men find women with acne scarring unattractive. most girls with acne scarring get complemented in here all the time e.g. sapphire lily

badkitty - you can fix your scars absolutely. doctors will only tell you there is nothing they can do for your scars if THEY do not have the individual procedures which will fix your kind of scarring. you have to trust me on that. ive educated many uneducated derms about other potential treatments they had no knowledge of. take it as a sign you need to see a new doctor with treatments recommended on this site. scarring CAN be reduced.

Edited by sydney_fellow

i thought this was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread. ive had a look and its as negative as half the emo posts. im sure if i read this more fully, id end up wanting to top myself.

sportsguy - i completely agree with you about looking your best.

Benni-b: im still picky :P just because you have scars doesnt mean you have to drop ur standards. i still choose the very best i can find. im deciding to take a break though, id rather thave no one for a bit, focus on my scars and then get back into the dating scene. id rather have no one than someone i dont find attractive.

zccv - i knew a girl with acne scars and she still dated some pretty attractive men. so not all men find women with acne scarring unattractive. most girls with acne scarring get complemented in here all the time e.g. sapphire lily

badkitty - you can fix your scars absolutely. doctors will only tell you there is nothing they can do for your scars if THEY do not have the individual procedures which will fix your kind of scarring. you have to trust me on that. ive educated many uneducated derms about other potential treatments they had no knowledge of. take it as a sign you need to see a new doctor with treatments recommended on this site. scarring CAN be reduced.

Sydney_fellow' it's true what you are saying....My scarrings has improved and If you see my photo gallery you can tell, but I know that I can't still doing the silikon micro drop because I can't overfill the area and theres a limit with each procedure so I need to move on with a next thing.To fix a scar you might need multiple different procedure and treatment to achive the best result.

I'm not really shure if I'm going to have any other procedure done here at U.S, I already took recommendation, suggestion and had done many procedure with the supposedly top doctor & dermatogist in US like dr. Lam(dallas); dr. Yarborough (New Orleans); dr. Rappaport at new jersey and the list go on this is just mentioning some of them. Basically I been told the same thing by all of them regarding my scarring.

My scarring are not as deep as it was at the beginning, due by all the different procedure I had done, but I still not feel selfconfidence. So maybe the solution is not here in U.S like sportguy said and based by my own experience. Maybe my last hope and alternative is to go to another country like UK, did somebody has a good reference from a good doctor in UK? how do I find a certified dr in UK?

BTW sydney fellow I saw your before and after pic and your result look amazing! what procedure you have done?

Edited by badkitty

It depends on what sort of facial scar it is, as it states in the following article. Acne Scarring is seen as a negative!! I am sure a few knife wounds here and there might do wonders for a guy but not Acne scars!!

"Scars that indicate past illness like chickenpox, acne, or surgery scars, and which therefore suggest a weaker immune system, may be viewed more negatively than other types of scarring," says the report.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...ans-heart..html

Sorry for posting a downer, but it's probably true. If our scars were knife ones, caused in a fight we'd feel much better about it.

Edited by ScaredBad

Sorry for posting a downer, but it's probably true. If our scars were knife ones, caused in a fight we'd feel much better about it.

I'm sure a guy with deep knife scars on his face would surely disagree with you :) lol

Of course acne scars are worse.... because we have them.

If acne scars werent our problem, then we wouldn't think anything less of other people who have them.

There are plenty of people in the world right now who would gladly take your place in life, because they have real problems to deal with.

We just think acne scarring is a problem, because its something we obsess about so much.

If we just got on with our lifes and quit worrying about something so unbelievably minor, then we'd be far happier and far better off.

Edited by Fraz_2010

ah your right about this. two years ago i took that advice and started going out, meeting people, dating and having a good time.

i know i had scars but i tried not to let them bother me too much. people were interested which was great (even insanely attractive ones in my opinion), but i could never accept my scars and felt the need to push them away before things became too serious. theres a difference between other people accepting you, and accepting yourself.

i think it is possible to get over the whole thing, but its one of those things where you have to learn to love yourself. part of loving yourself means you also have to love your scars.

i wasnt ready to do that, so i just quit it all and promised id fix myself up before i started dating again. its been almost 6 months now and although its a bit lonely (oh i love terribly lonely), its giving me a chance to do all the things i need to be a more well rounded person.

everyone should do things that makes them feel attractive and worth while. that seems like the key to all of this.

yes guys it sucks. We'll have bad days and good. Today was a bad day for me.

BAd day:

I feel like I am worthless and just not capable of having a relationship with a girl.

Good day: Confident and able to approach girls and have fun...but still kind of held back by something in the back of my head.

That is how my life has been. I am only 24 years old and it is mainly on my right cheek so I feel almost like a 2 face...it makes me very nervous when someone stands on my right side :(

Brad pitt:I have seen him in worse and I still think he isn't that bad I'd take his overall skin over mine.

I wonder what treatments hes' done.

I wonder what treatments hes' done.

Brad Pitt had dermabrasion performed by a top class surgeon. Not sure who though.

His scars were far more severe before.

As for the women front..... chill and relax. Don't let anything stick in the back of your mind. Just be confident, charming & funny and you'll do just fine with the ladies. ;)

dermabrasion, hmm interesting. looks very intense

Yup, its an extremely intense procedure that only works on some skin types.

For people with coloured skin or fair skin, it can cause some serious damage.

If I wasn't fair skinned, then i'd probably have had it done ages ago.

Its my red marks that bother me more than my scars though.

Fraz, doing just fine isn't my idea of enjoyment and we both know that just being confident and charming isn't everything.

You can be confident and charming and get flaked on and still be unsuccessful with women etc.

Where did you read about brad pitt having dermabrasion? was this before or after he became famous? Or in the beginning of it all? In the picture you put up (yea I know he has makeup) he looks overall pretty decent.

Besides hes got world class looks to back it all up.

Hey sportsguy, everybody gets flaked on every know and again, thats life unfortunately.

Being truely confident isn't about never being flaked on, its about not caring when somebody does.

If somebody pokes fun at you, then its because they have insecurities themselves.

Somebody who is nasty to you, isn't only nasty to you, but nasty to a lot of people. Thats because they are a nasty person. So who cares what they think?

Being confident and charming isn't everything, but its far more than not being confident and charming at all.

As for Brad Pitt, I believe he had dermabrasion performed in later stages of his career.

If you watch some of his older movies in HD, you can clearly see very noticable scarring and thats with top class make up and lighting.

As for his "world class" looks.... what "world class" looks?

He looks good because he takes care of his teeth, he works out, he always has a good hair style, he's confident, he's charming and smiles everywhere he goes.

He doesn't do anything with his looks that you are incapable of.

Edited by Fraz_2010