Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juicy788

Antibiotics vs Accutane?

From what I've been reading/researching, it seems all antibiotic treatments are only a temporary relief from acne, and come back right after you're off them, whether they're topical or oral. Even if they work, you still have to continue using the products until somehow your body changes and you no longer breakout. There are some people on antibiotics for 5 years or more. On top of that, your body gets immune to the antibiotics, and you have to switch medications.

Why not just use Accutane for a shorter period of time that will give you a more permanent/prolonged fix? If acne is that stubborn, wouldn't Accutane be a better solution? Is it even possible to see the same results from the other antibiotics as with Accutane?

Some people don't want to risk Accutane, and nothing is ever guaranteed if you take Accutane or any medication.

And short-term use of antibiotics sometimes helps a person clear. Remember that this board gives you lots of worst-case scenarios, of people who are at their wit's end in finding something to help.

Some people do indeed just grow out of acne. Some people have acne into their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's. Usually each person experiences clearing in one or another decade (or two and three decades worth of clarity!)

PS: Your BODY does not get immune to the antibiotics. The BACTERIA become resistant. Long-term use of antibiotics is associated with potentially severe consequences, the worst of which is (to me) bacterial resistance.

thanks a bunch for your replies!

i've been prescribed ampicillin 500mg, topical 2% erythromicin, and ziana. i've had acne since high school, which is about 7-8 years of scarring and flare-ups. i'm not sure if i should ask for accutane or just go ahead with this routine.

what do you think of this combination? i'm not sure why i have 2 topicals. i'm trying to find out if ziana is necessary because it's really expensive.

didn't get to ask my doc much about this because i couldn't really understand his accent. =/

For what I have read, accutane also is a temporal solution. Antibiotics are used to clear your acne, then you need to follow a regimen. And if you think about it, if your find your regimen, you just waste time in the morning and before bed, but you can have a normal life. With accutane, you can't drink a drop of alcohol.

Accutane is such a risk..that's why it was pulled from the market. I messed up my body pretty badly with antibiotics but at least most of it is reversible. Accutane can damage your liver + it's not permanent for everyone and some people even take multiple doses. They will pay for it later...have a nice day

thanks a bunch for all the replies! it's clarified the points between antibiotics and accutane. i'll take all of your warnings seriously and actually try the antibiotics rather than looking for a last resort. once again, thanks!

one last thing, if you go on and off your oral antibiotics, will it prevent the bacteria from getting immune? and can the bacteria get immune to topical antibiotics also?

If your acne is out of control, you can take antibiotics again for just a period (tipically 3 months or so). But your goal is to find a regimen a free yourself of antibiotics or accutane.

How bad is your acne? Yeah going on antibiotics and stopping when you are clear may keep you from becoming immune and it will give your body a break. If you have really bad acne I would try this. If you can get your face clear with antibiotics you might be able to maintain clear skin without them. You should take a low dose of an antibiotic that is mild if you've never taken them before. If you get stomach aches or bloating STOP TAKING THEM IMMEDIATELY.

I was on antibiotics for 3 weeks before I saw a dermatologist, he took me off it straight away, said it was a waste of time, and put me on accutane.

Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria and it's only short-term. It only suppresses the condition, it doesn't cure it. You have to keep switching, only for more short-term results.

Also I felt worse on antibiotics than I feel on accutane.

ive been on both and i can personally say that they both worked exactly how i thought they would...accutane took literally the whole course for me to see promising results(6 months) and when i started to get clearer, i took antibiotics to help for a couple more months before i went back on a topical

How long should you take an antibiotic for before quitting and trying to maintain clear skin while off it? Then how long should you wait to take it again if you start to breakout again? For me i am on Bactrim and have been for a week and it has cleared my chin acne that would never completely go away. Wondering how long i should stay on it before stopping and trying to maintain it without.

I am the mum of a 15 year old who is desperate to try accutane. A couple of her friends have used it with good results. She has tried everything else, including antibiotics, to no avail. She is desperate for her relief, but as her mum I need to think of long term consequences. Should I even be considering accutane? I want to help my little girl, but don't want to do anything irresponsible.

Help!

actually tetracyclines are bacteriostatics meaning they dont actually kill the bacteria, but reduce the protein required for them to grow- which means antibiotics under this category is less likely to become resistant for a very long time. A topical retinoid in conjunction with the antibiotic will help.