Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paparazzi25

Accutane sun sensitivity with black people?

I am african-american so i have a higher amount of melanin than white people. in other words, basically i don't have to wear sunscreen because my face/body doesn't get burned by the sun. Does anyone know if taking Accutane when you are african-american will reduce the amount of melanin in you even more? I have never put on sun screen a day in my life but I learned a lot from Dan about the right sun screen and SPF to choose. So would I still need to use sun screen while on Accutane even if I am black?

I think you'd be better off with an SPF (15-30) because melanoma's still a risk. Sun sensitivity occurs in people of all colors when on Accutane so being careful is much better.

Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for 25-29-year-olds and the second most common form of cancer for 15-29-year-olds. UV radiation from the sun and tanning beds also has been associated with non-melanoma skin cancer, such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, as well as wrinkles and age spots

I think you'd be better off with an SPF (15-30) because melanoma's still a risk. Sun sensitivity occurs in people of all colors when on Accutane so being careful is much better.

Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for 25-29-year-olds and the second most common form of cancer for 15-29-year-olds. UV radiation from the sun and tanning beds also has been associated with non-melanoma skin cancer, such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, as well as wrinkles and age spots
http://www.aad.org/media/psa/index.html

THANKS! sorry for the double post by the way!