Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
putry

accutane 2nd course HELP

okay im doing 2nd course of accutane because my acne come back after 8 months off accutane.on my 1st course,i got very bad initial breakout and it takes 6 months to clear my face..my question is

-in 2nd course,how long does it takes to clear my acne?is it the same as the 1st course?

-will i get the inital breakout again on the 2nd course?

for your information,im taking 10mg/day

okay im doing 2nd course of accutane because my acne come back after 8 months off accutane.on my 1st course,i got very bad initial breakout and it takes 6 months to clear my face..my question is

-in 2nd course,how long does it takes to clear my acne?is it the same as the 1st course?

-will i get the inital breakout again on the 2nd course?

for your information,im taking 10mg/day

I'm 19 days into my 2nd course and I started at 40mg/day.

My "initial breakout" consisted of little blocked pores coming to small whiteheads on my chin (they weren't acne before, and they were just small pimples after i started accutane, nothing too bad) and my red pimples on my cheeks (they never came to a white head and were deep) either totally went away or were there but small.

So it cleared up the worst part fasted and overall the breakout was nothing compared to last time.

You will probably have more tolerance to it so it doesnt give u as many side effects. I have no idea how long it will take, I'm just going for as long as it takes for my skin to be flawless.

Also follow these 10 commandments, and check out my log for side effects because we will probably have similar ones.

The Ten Commandments of Accutane:

1) Thou shall not exfoliate, no matter how dry and peely your skin gets. EVER.

2) Thou shall not use products that contain retinoids, benzyl peroxide, salicylic acid or any typical acne fighting agents. Our skin is no longer acne-prone, it is sensitive!

3) Thou shall purchase cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and use it from day 1 of your accutane treatment

4) Besides cetaphil, the only other face products thou shall use are a gentle, heavy moisturizer (I like aminogenesis but cetaphil is also great)

5) Thou shall put a lotion such as Glaxal base up your nostrils every night before bed

6) Thou shall put thick hand lotion on every night before bed and if a rash develops, thou shall buy and use a hydrocortisone cream twice daily even after it is gone. Putting it on and wearing gloves to bed keeps it where you want it.

7) Thou shall drink at least 2 litres of water/decaf tea every day and avoid diuretics such as coffee or alcohol

8) Thou shall not feel like you must wash your face twice a day, wash at bed time and re-apply moisturizer to uncleansed skin in the morning

9) Thou shall switch from a powder foundation to liquid, I recommend MAC liquid foundation with SPF and then you can gently pat a mineral powder overtop and voila! your makeup wont make you look flaky and your acne is totally hidden!!

10) Thou shall follow these commandments religiously EVERY DAY.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

2) Thou shall purchase cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and use it from day 1 of your accutane treatment

8) Thou shall not feel like you must wash your face twice a day, wash at bed time and re-apply moisturizer to uncleansed skin in the morning

My dermatologist told me that some people react badly to Cetaphil. You should always take advice with a grain of salt because everyone's skin is unique.

Does showering count as washing your face?

I used benzoyl peroxide from the acne.org regimen during a good 4 months of my accutane course. My skin did not appear irritated. Will my accutane be less effective because I did this?

(I stopped a little while back)

Answer to answer the original question:

1) Since everyone is different, I can only tell you my experience. It's taking me a lot longer to clear up. I'm on my 8th month and still have terrible acne. I also had much more severe acne initially, though. It will probably be about the same speed of progress both times.

2) I found that a lot of the symptoms of the 2nd course were a lot less severe. I personally didn't suffer too much of an initial breakout, but everyone is different.

Edited by Archermitch