Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Super Size Me

I watched this the other day and thought it was a very good documentary on how fast food affects our body. After watching this i don't think i can have McDonalds ever again. It is about a 100min documentary, but it is very detailed and entertaining. Really opened up my eyes more on how toxic fast food can be to us. He has all these doctors test him before, during, and after the fast food binge.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfBc-Rla0uI

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=4QIWH0...amp;feature=fvw

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=rhn_-o...feature=related

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=feclZF...feature=related

Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=rSZCGy...feature=related

Part 6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=v-OEg0...feature=related

Part 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=xz88Nc...feature=related

Part 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=-1_sU9...feature=related

Part 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=zvh1AK...feature=related

Part 10 - http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=0gWjCZ...feature=related

I saw it and thought it was pretty silly. Everyone should know that eating 5000 calories of burgers and fried food is going to be bad for you. That would happen no matter where you ate it - burger king, wendy's, appleby's, or any chinese buffet. Those all you can eat buffet places are the worst offenders. They encourage you to eat as much as you can to et the most for your money.

^ That's the point of the documentary. A lot of people DON'T know that. He chose Micky D's but like you said, unhealthy food is unhealthy. These places try to advertise their food as healthy and something that you SHOULD be able to eat all day, but that is far from the truth.

Buffets are so tempting though ><

Ha... I hardly eat fast food, but yeah it's common sense you're gunna mess yourself up eating that all the time. I guess he just wanted to be controversial, still like the movie -- I love the artwork with the clowns and stuff to transition

^ That's the point of the documentary. A lot of people DON'T know that. He chose Micky D's but like you said, unhealthy food is unhealthy. These places try to advertise their food as healthy and something that you SHOULD be able to eat all day, but that is far from the truth.

The only ad I recall that said their crap was healthy was that KFC one. It got taken off the air pretty quickly. If people don't know about unhealthy food it is a failure of schools and parents to educate children.

I think they put up a lot of ads targeting kids to get them hooked on the junk. That's more of an issue to me.

Edited by parador

Buffets are so tempting though ><

Ha... I hardly eat fast food, but yeah it's common sense you're gunna mess yourself up eating that all the time. I guess he just wanted to be controversial, still like the movie -- I love the artwork with the clowns and stuff to transition

Yeah - especially when they have scallops. Golden Corral had the seafood tour this year. It was hard to resist all you can eat scallops for $10.

I loooooooove Super Size Me.

I had been struggling to quit fast food for a couple months when I watched it for the first time, and after that something happened, and I can't even LOOK at fast food anymore.

Lost ten pounds. :)

Acne: No more cysts, at least. :D

But-- it makes me sad.

School food is 10x worse than fast food, IMO.

Because you really have no option but to eat it every day.

I just throw a PB&J and an apple in my purse.

But my fellow highschool students don't bother, and I fear for them.

Edited by ShadowGirl93

I loooooooove Super Size Me.

I had been struggling to quit fast food for a couple months when I watched it for the first time, and after that something happened, and I can't even LOOK at fast food anymore.

Lost ten pounds. :)

Acne: No more cysts, at least. :D

But-- it makes me sad.

School food is 10x worse than fast food, IMO.

Because you really have no option but to eat it every day.

I just throw a PB&J and an apple in my purse.

But my fellow highschool students don't bother, and I fear for them.

I never ate school food as a kid. I believe you though. Like I said in my post above - poor schools are part of the problem.

I actually wrote a letter to the principal with a couple of my classmates saying we would appreciate if the school took more interest in having a healthier lunch program.

She replied by saying that she appreciates our concern and agrees that the food is bad, but she won't spend the money on a healthier lunch program because "other, more urgent things need to be attended to."

Looooooooser. :/

I've seen this before a long time ago but it's really beneficial that I watch it again. I quit fast food before I even saw this but I remember how disgusted I was when I did. Watching it now I can really take in some of the figures...48 teaspoons of sugar in those giant big gulp pops...that is crazy. I haven't drank pop since I was like 10 thankfully. The advertising does play the biggest role; why else would everyone be filling their minds with "low fat diets" and "100 calorie packs" and thinking these things are good. I turned this way awhile ago thinking that it was right because the new media was telling me this. You can never trust the media and practically anything that is advertised is cheaply made because they spend all their money on advertisements. Organic and and preservatives is the way to go.

I hate how people say they don't have a choice to not eat the school lunch food. My parents never bought it because it costs too much compared to packing a lunch. I thought it was a treat and only had certain items on occasion..and that's how it should be. Of course I started avoiding it all in high school because the media had gotten the best of me. I guess that was for the better, anyway. They only ever serve fries and burgers and junk anyway. Typical American foods is all everyone thinks is normal.

Ha, yeah, that was a nice documentary. I read a story about a McDonalds hamburger being kept in a closet for 12 years. And it still looked eatable, you couldn't tell the difference between a "fresh" burger and the 12 year old one. Even bacteria know not to touch that crap.

speaking of bacteria and crap...you know if you leave margarine outside no flies or anything will go near it because it's one molecule away from being plastic.

My brother also used to work at Mcdonalds and my mom ate some burger or something straight out of the fridge and he was like "you have to warm that up you don't know where that has been. The shelf life of those things is like an hour". So basically they would cook up the crap and then it would have to be thrown out within an hour if no one bought it. When he worked till closing he always brought home apples pies and crap that have probably been sitting in a warmer all day and in a freezer before that for ages. They actually call the little butter packets macbutter and junk...it's crazy. Apparently they are a lot cleaner than some other fast food restaurants though. When my sister worked at dairy queen, she dropped a rag in the ice cream machine. It's funny when you see at fast food places or at school refilling those cheese machines with this yellow shit out of a bag. Man that looks delicious :cool:

speaking of bacteria and crap...you know if you leave margarine outside no flies or anything will go near it because it's one molecule away from being plastic.

Sorry, but I'm a chemist and I hate seeing misinformation like this. Plastics are composed of long molecules called polymers, while margarine is a blend of fats and water. There is no chemical similarity between the two. In any case, being "one molecule away" is a totally meaningless expression.

Substances are made of molecules, which in turn are composed of atoms joined together in a specific pattern. Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, is one atom away from water, H2O. That extra oxygen atom changes the properties of the substance dramatically.

I also used to work in food service. Flies would land on the margarine if we didn't keep it covered when they got in. It would be an interesting experiment to leave some margarine out and see what would eat it. I am sure it would get eaten. It is made from vegetable oils. The main reason it is bad for people is that it contains trans fat which is produced in the hydrogination process that hardens the oils into a solid form.

I used to be addicted to fast food... it was all I ate in high school.... I'm very skinny and back then I thought eating fast food would make me gain weight.... so I ate A LOT of it.... and yes it did make me gain some weight but I think what it did the most was make me unhealthy, I was SICK all the time in high school.

I used to be addicted to fast food... it was all I ate in high school.... I'm very skinny and back then I thought eating fast food would make me gain weight.... so I ate A LOT of it.... and yes it did make me gain some weight but I think what it did the most was make me unhealthy, I was SICK all the time in high school.

The main problem with fast food as discussed in the documentary is it is just so convenient for everyone. There are no fast healthy fruit and veggie drive thru's or better yet, whole organic cooked drive thrus. It is impossible to have these kind of drive thrus given the shelf life of fruits, veggies, and fresh organic food. That is pretty much the main reason why fast food is so toxic to us because of its processing. Of course we all know that, but again it goes back to it being so convenient for us since we are a lazy America.

Edited by JayQ

Exactly. That's where they get you-- when you think you have no other choice but fast food. Like when you get off work late or you're on vacation, most people would rather buy a cheeseburger for 2 bucks than go home and cook something that only takes 10 minutes, or pack snacks ahead of time for traveling. It can be avoided. But the food is cheap, tastes good (to some people...), and some just like to pretend/not know the truth about what's REALLY in that "food."

Sorry, but I'm a chemist and I hate seeing misinformation like this. Plastics are composed of long molecules called polymers, while margarine is a blend of fats and water. There is no chemical similarity between the two. In any case, being "one molecule away" is a totally meaningless expression.

Substances are made of molecules, which in turn are composed of atoms joined together in a specific pattern. Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, is one atom away from water, H2O. That extra oxygen atom changes the properties of the substance dramatically.

I also used to work in food service. Flies would land on the margarine if we didn't keep it covered when they got in. It would be an interesting experiment to leave some margarine out and see what would eat it. I am sure it would get eaten. It is made from vegetable oils. The main reason it is bad for people is that it contains trans fat which is produced in the hydrogination process that hardens the oils into a solid form.

YOU can try this yourself, purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things, no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it,( that should tell you something) it does not rot, smell differently...Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it, even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow...Why? because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Yuck!

I guess my information wasn't well researched. I just remember reading it somewhere aka ^

But I see now that it is purely fiction but it's still junk as it is hydrogenized and turned into trans fat. At least if anything did land on it and try to consume it it would probably die as we as humans can hardly even process man-made trans fats...which is probably in a bunch of mcdonald's food!

Edited by CheyCheyenne

super high me was way more fun to watch xD

food inc. is a good movie. (although i thought it was a little bit to emotional and to less informative...)

im planning to watch sweet misery looks good...

YOU can try this yourself, purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things, no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it,( that should tell you something) it does not rot, smell differently...Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it, even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow...Why? because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Yuck!

I guess my information wasn't well researched. I just remember reading it somewhere aka ^

But I see now that it is purely fiction but it's still junk as it is hydrogenized and turned into trans fat. At least if anything did land on it and try to consume it it would probably die as we as humans can hardly even process man-made trans fats...which is probably in a bunch of mcdonald's food!

It probably depends on the margarine, there's so many different ones. There are a few that insects will not touch at all, some of them they do, usually the "now with added Vitamin D" crap. Wouldn't surprise me if they died shortly after. Can you imagine insects buying supplements? Regardless, so many humans eat margarine, it's not impossible for insects to be stupid as well.

A better test would be to put some next to butter and see which one is more popular. I might try that if it stops raining here tomorrow.

Edited by uncle buck

I'm sorry fellas, but this movie is a load of BS. WILL 5000 CALORIES A DAY MAKE ME FAT?? No shit. This somehow proves fast food is unhealthy? Notice between the 2 and 3 weeks he lost a couple pounds. I'm guessing he realized eating normal amounts of fast food will actually HELP you to lose weight. And the way he treats people, like government have to step in, like they don't KNOW what's good for them.

Not to mention when he switched to his girlfriend's vegan 'purifying' diet it took him 4 months to lose 10 lbs, and another 4 to lose the remaining 4lbs. If he had just eaten normal amounts of fast food, allowing for a normal metabolism, he could have lost that weight in 3 weeks. Sad that misinformation like this gets gobbled up by the public and low fat diets become the norm.

I suggest everyone here watch the movie "Fat Head". He goes on a supersize me style fast food only diet for a month and loses like 12 lbs. Barely even exercises.

Fat/Fast food is not the enemy. Snacking constantly, carbohydrates and sugary drinks are the enemy.

Edited by jpatton624

I'm sorry fellas, but this movie is a load of BS. WILL 5000 CALORIES A DAY MAKE ME FAT?? No shit. This somehow proves fast food is unhealthy? Notice between the 2 and 3 weeks he lost a couple pounds. I'm guessing he realized eating normal amounts of fast food will actually HELP you to lose weight. And the way he treats people, like government have to step in, like they don't KNOW what's good for them.

Not to mention when he switched to his girlfriend's vegan 'purifying' diet it took him 4 months to lose 10 lbs, and another 4 to lose the remaining 4lbs. If he had just eaten normal amounts of fast food, allowing for a normal metabolism, he could have lost that weight in 3 weeks. Sad that misinformation like this gets gobbled up by the public and low fat diets become the norm.

I suggest everyone here watch the movie "Fat Head". He goes on a supersize me style fast food only diet for a month and loses like 12 lbs. Barely even exercises.

Fat/Fast food is not the enemy. Snacking constantly, carbohydrates and sugary drinks are the enemy.

The documentary was not focused on if he would gain weight or not and weight itself is not the only bases in determining if it is a healthy diet or not. His blood work proved a lot of results that was making his body more unhealthy, even the physical symptoms on being short of breath, tired, weak, hell even puking that shit up on like day 2. Yes it is obvious you will gain weight eating 5000 calories a day, but there was more to the study than just weight gain.

I have never seen the movie "Fat Head", but just because he loses 12lbs on binging on fast food for a month and doesnt exercise does not mean it is still healthy. Just because he is not experiencing any symptoms now does not mean he will not later. Again he only does it for a month, why wouldn't he just continue to do it if its so healthy? Fast food is the enemy regardless how many times you partake in it, obesity rates, heart, and colon disease raise every year because of it. These are not beliefs but facts. If you think that fast food is not the enemy, then you are just as misguided as the rest of America. Do i have fast food yes, maybe like once or twice a month, but i know its not healthy for me when i do. I always have water regardless, never drink pop and its always a small order. It is the weekly binging where you will suffer the most from it in the long run.

Edited by JayQ

Its a good documentary, I just wished they didnt have to blame the FAT in the foods for his weight gain, when its actually the over all calorie intake which is the problem. Yet more trash that gives all fat a bad name and makes people believe carbs are the god food.

Edited by ben90

The documentary was not focused on if he would gain weight or not and weight itself is not the only bases in determining if it is a healthy diet or not. His blood work proved a lot of results that was making his body more unhealthy, even the physical symptoms on being short of breath, tired, weak, hell even puking that shit up on like day 2. Yes it is obvious you will gain weight eating 5000 calories a day, but there was more to the study than just weight gain.

Just give it a watch, you'll be glad you did

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...9559800J6AxF6eh