Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
californiaEstie

I need to lose weight and not disrupt my skin!!!!!

Howdy!

Well, first of all, Happy 4th of July!! I am attaching a picture of my adorable nephew in the hopes that it might make some people smile for a second!! :D

My babyyyy :)

I have a weight problem. I have gained like 10-12 pounds in a year. This is disgusting to me and my clothes don't fit anymore. I also feel it's not helping my skin either. Are there any steadfast ways to lose weight and stay healthy inside and out? It's killing my confidence as I was always slim before. And people say BMI is crap, do you think that's true?

Stats:

previous weight/height: 124 pounds, 5"4

current weight/height: around 137 pounds, 5"5

:wall:

Thank you for your kindness and consideration in advance.

Finally someone who wants to lose weight and not gain it...those threads get annoying after awhile. What do you usually eat now? Are you planning on eliminating certain foods (bad stuff) or just limiting if you already eat healthy? Are there certain foods that you overeat (triggers) which lead to acne + weight?

Finally someone who wants to lose weight and not gain it...those threads get annoying after awhile. What do you usually eat now? Are you planning on eliminating certain foods (bad stuff) or just limiting if you already eat healthy? Are there certain foods that you overeat (triggers) which lead to acne + weight?

Haha deeeeefinitely don't want to gain!!!

I eat pizza, oatmeal with cereal and milk on it and raisins, pb & j, pasta, fruits... etc.

That's about it really, with some variations. I am willing to limit... but I think I have to find new things to eat too. But I think portion control could help a lot?

I eat pizza, oatmeal with cereal and milk on it and raisins, pb & j, pasta, fruits... etc.

That's about it really, with some variations. I am willing to limit... but I think I have to find new things to eat too. But I think portion control could help a lot?

Yeah I'm sure portion control could help...but if you're one of those people who's body likes to make up for what you've missed out on (aka me)...it won't help much in the long run. You could try it out if you haven't though. Make sure you chew everything about 20 times so that you're not rushing yourself and either eliminate the bad stuff (like pizza if it's not homemade, etc.) or exercise a decent amount...or do both and it will help a lot. There are actually a lot of exercises you can do at home without equipment that really do a lot. Yoga helps, squats, lunges, crunches, push ups, etc. Running always helps me but my problem is I eat too much so if I wanted to lose weight I'd have to run religiously everyday. If you've never tried running you should it's excellent. Pretty much you'll have to design a diet and exercise plan according to your body because some things work for some people and some for others. If you think this will be generally easy and you've never really dieted before, you could probably just do smaller portions + lots of veggies to fill you up and eat slowly + exercise.

Yeah I'm sure portion control could help...but if you're one of those people who's body likes to make up for what you've missed out on (aka me)...it won't help much in the long run. You could try it out if you haven't though. Make sure you chew everything about 20 times so that you're not rushing yourself and either eliminate the bad stuff (like pizza if it's not homemade, etc.) or exercise a decent amount...or do both and it will help a lot. There are actually a lot of exercises you can do at home without equipment that really do a lot. Yoga helps, squats, lunges, crunches, push ups, etc. Running always helps me but my problem is I eat too much so if I wanted to lose weight I'd have to run religiously everyday. If you've never tried running you should it's excellent. Pretty much you'll have to design a diet and exercise plan according to your body because some things work for some people and some for others. If you think this will be generally easy and you've never really dieted before, you could probably just do smaller portions + lots of veggies to fill you up and eat slowly + exercise.

Haha I do like to make up!! I'll have to quit that. Chewing a lot, yes I will have to remember that! I think it really works. When I eat slow sometimes I can't even finish my food. I have an exercise book- I think I need to figure out a motivation. Maybe I should get a life size poster of a really fit woman taped to my floor, and then a picture of my current body (also life sized of course) and put it next to her!! Haha talk about waking up to a reason.

I actually got pretty good at running last summer!! I was up to a 6:30 min mile which was great for me. I need to start being more disciplined. I eat a lot as well, more than my brother and my boyfriend!! Who are both 22 and taller than me... WTF?

Thank you so much for your answer I will try this stuff!

Haha I do like to make up!! I'll have to quit that. Chewing a lot, yes I will have to remember that! I think it really works. When I eat slow sometimes I can't even finish my food. I have an exercise book- I think I need to figure out a motivation. Maybe I should get a life size poster of a really fit woman taped to my floor, and then a picture of my current body (also life sized of course) and put it next to her!! Haha talk about waking up to a reason.

I actually got pretty good at running last summer!! I was up to a 6:30 min mile which was great for me. I need to start being more disciplined. I eat a lot as well, more than my brother and my boyfriend!! Who are both 22 and taller than me... WTF?

Thank you so much for your answer I will try this stuff!

Yeah I remember when my sister lived here (we were so skinny idk what her problem was) but she taped a picture of a skinny girl to the fridge so when we'd go to open the fridge we'd see the picture haha. That is a good time for running! I did really well last summer although I didn't time my mile much I think it was around 6. I know the mile isn't short but I do best at very long distances. Last summer I ran like 60 minutes every single day...or more! I was always worried about my weight but at 60 minutes a day in the sun I look back and realize that there was NOTHING I could have eaten that would have made me gain weight.

I'm like that too I can always eat more than my brother if I want to..I try not to though. If I eat slow especially when I'm eating with him I'll be more conscious of my portions. But then sometimes you go back for snacks! so it's hard. If I can restrict in the morning I can go running easily but sometimes it's hard (if I don't I get digestion problems + running = stomach aches and cramps). If you can get on a running schedule like every day or every other day starting at a certain time then that will definitely help. The good part is you most likely won't get anymore acne from dieting and exercising. You'll probably get even less!

this is a bit random and might not apply to you. apparently a lot of times when girls complain of the freshman 15 in college its also around that age that girls should experience some increase in weight. not sure how credible this is as i just kind of heard it.

i've never had a weight problem or done on any diets and i eat quite bit. besides genetics i highly attribute this to eating really healthy. there's no soda in my house, chips, frozen dinners. for instance those lean cuisine or "healthy" dinners or lunches. forget those. get fresh stuff. if i cant make something i just much on something fresh (i.e. i just eat a cucumber with some bread and some fresh mozzarella)

the food i eat is not always "healthy" or "low in calories" by society's standards but its fresh. for instance i eat eggplant salad (roasted eggplants, with onions, and mayo which isn't healthy). overall though i think that since i buy very little pre-prepared food my diet is healthy and i never had a need to keep track of calories.

when it comes to snacks get a good snack. instead of chips buy some pretzels. i still eat ice cream, and chocolate, etc. for instance i personally think that a little piece of chocolate is much better than a bag of chips. the chips has a much higher chances of having a bunch of preservatives, etc. and that's what i try to avoid. this post is all over the place with no sicentific backing just personaly experience.

also i tend to eat a lot throughout the day. but every time i go to the fridge i tend to eat fruit, or a piece of string cheese, or something somewhat healthy instead of junk food.

Your diet consists almost entirely of carbs. Carbs make you fat, simple. It's an endless insulin spike causing your body to hold on to all calories in your fat cells, for the reason that you already have "energy" flowing through your blood (carbs = instant blood sugar spike) so everything else is stored. Cut the carbs and you'll lose weight. Eat more fat and vegetables. Yes it really is that simple. When you eat more fat, your body uses fat as fuel and you'll lose weight no matter how much you eat or what time, and regardless of any exercise. Read Good Calories, Bad Calories or watch these if you want the science behind it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGV9VOOtew

This also has the side effect of clear glowing skin, so be careful. ;)

Edited by uncle buck

Your diet consists almost entirely of carbs. Carbs make you fat, simple. It's an endless insulin spike causing your body to hold on to all calories in your fat cells, for the reason that you already have "energy" flowing through your blood (carbs = instant blood sugar spike) so everything else is stored. Cut the carbs and you'll lose weight. Eat more fat and vegetables. Yes it really is that simple. When you eat more fat, your body uses fat as fuel and you'll lose weight no matter how much you eat or what time, and regardless of any exercise. Read Good Calories, Bad Calories or watch these if you want the science behind it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGV9VOOtew

This also has the side effect of clear glowing skin, so be careful. ;)

While this may be a good suggestion it is definitely not true as I know and have lived this. I'm doing low carb for Candida and I can EASILY keep my weight even with exercise. I still eat a lot and it doesn't matter that I'm not eating carbs I just crave fatty foods like nut butters now. You crave what you eat so I wouldn't say it's possible to take weight off without exercise (at least for some people).

That being said you could make your meals well rounded so that you won't be going back to the same foods. The best diets are where you eat the same meals over and over but it would be a good idea to have a lot of meals planned out.

You crave what you eat so I wouldn't say it's possible to take weight off without exercise (at least for some people).

Actually, it's physically impossible to gain or maintain extra fat without carbohydrates. Muscle, sure. I know it's hard for you to believe having run 60 minutes a day but it's true. Are you overweight? It doesn't look like it.

You crave what you eat so I wouldn't say it's possible to take weight off without exercise (at least for some people).

Actually, it's physically impossible to gain or maintain extra fat without carbohydrates. Muscle, sure. I know it's hard for you to believe having run 60 minutes a day but it's true. Are you overweight? It doesn't look like it.

Well okay I'm not exactly saying that for everyone but I personally have trouble losing weight without exercise because I always make up my calories by eating more when I ate less at another meal. I have gained weight on the low carb diet actually...but I'll probably lose it by exercising like I always do. I'm not overweight but I have a negative body image + I don't think candida has helped me much. I never had trouble like this before it but I've had this for over a year so its been rough. It could be vitamin/mineral deficiencies from leaky gut or I've noticed I have a problem with overeating nuts + indigestion + acne. I don't really know it just seems like acne screwed with my health (antibiotics)

I would say for most people low carb diets are effective but I've heard that they put back on weight when they start eating carbs again. Limiting carbs could be a good idea but if they don't bother your acne it's not a good idea in the long run unless you gain weight when you eat them. Protein > carbs in the weight loss world so I guess that is the best solution for most meals? Focus on protein and vegetables and some fat either through oil or animal fat and then fruit as snacks? If you want to lose maximum weight eliminate the fruit. This is how most diets I've heard about go.

Edited by CheyCheyenne

when i began eating smaller portions at every meal, i began losing weight. Or sometimes I would skip either breakfast or lunch and this also contributed to my weight loss. I didnt like how my body looked, too skinny, so i began doing the complete opposite and gained my weight back and i look healthier. I'm 6 feet and normally weight about 160 lbs. , but lost 10 pounds, and i look weak and fragile so i started eating more and not missing any meals, and gained my 10 pounds back. I just have to maintain this weight now.

good calories bad calories ^^ (sugar the bitter truth also is very good on this subject)

good calories bad calories in a nutshell: "You dont get fat because you eat to much, you eat to much because you get fat" (When you turn calories into fat you dont have enough calories to burn so you want more calories). So if you can find what causes you to store fat you know the causer of fat and overeating. And that is insulin. Inuslin gets triggered by fructose. (AKA half of tablesugar)

BMI is indeed crap. Theres a difference between muslce and fat. Muscles weigh a lot but take less room. The best way is to just look at yourself or see how well you fit in your pants :P

I would say for most people low carb diets are effective but I've heard that they put back on weight when they start eating carbs again
Edited by joris

good calories bad calories ^^ (sugar the bitter truth also is very good on this subject)

Like others mentioned you only eat carbs. Fructose raises insulin which creates fat. Glucose doesnt do that much.

The point about portion control is that it doesnt even make sence. Every excess calorie gets turned into fat. So you need lesser calories then you need. That would mean you have to starve yourself to loose weight?

You need to get your calories from fats and protein. I lost a few kilos last few weeks by doing this.

Do interval and weight training. Works way better as 3hour treadmill... And is a easier way to loose weight...

BMI is indeed crap. Theres a difference between muslce and fat. Muscles weigh a lot but take less room. The best way is to just look at yourself or see how well you fit in your pants :P

I would say for most people low carb diets are effective but I've heard that they put back on weight when they start eating carbs again
Hmm interesting did you also know that people who jump of a roof break their leg, then they go to a doctor and after 2months there leg is good again. But when they jump of the roof again they break it again! Its so weird how these things work.

I'm not saying that they are making the same mistakes. I'm just saying in general that is what I've heard. I have no idea if they became all out carb junkies again or if they just added in a couple pieces of fruit. From what I've heard on low carb forums, a couple slips can really screw you up. Many people who start eating low carb just try to eat like that for the rest of their life for obvious reasons...and I was to believe that it was because even adding a bit more carbs into your diet than previously will make you gain weight. I also debate whether it is healthy to stay on the diet that long as many people eat mostly dairy, nuts, meat, and veggies. I don't even think dairy is all that great especially in high quantities. Plus beware as a low carb diet can make you very tired if you don't take in sufficient portions. Possibly even tired enough that you don't want to work out at all.

Yeah and @ BMI, when I had not even all that much muscle when I went to the doctor awhile ago I was 5 lbs more than I weighted out as just a few weeks ago. I know I didn't lose any weight but I know I haven't been working out at all at that point and I had lost any muscle that I had so I figured the muscle turned to fat and fat weights less than muscle so yep the only accurate test would be a fat fold test which measures the % of fat that makes up your body.

Edited by CheyCheyenne

muscle doesnt just turn into fat...

You can burn muscle for energy. And then put the carbs into fat.

muscle doesnt just turn into fat...

You can burn muscle for energy. And then put the carbs into fat.

Makes sense. But how quickly is this fat going to build up? This is more of a guy's routine that a girls. Besides if you take a short break from working out...the muscle would turn to fat + the carbs resulting in significant weight gain. I guess it's essential to work out though. Maybe that's the price you have to pay for skipping workouts.

well if you do a lot of cardio you burn a lot of muscle. Maybe even more than fat. Youll get hungrier and eat more. More insulin more fat. No weight training with this will result in less muslce. So i guess that skipping weight exercise and exessive cardio can do this.

Im not really sure about all this though. Never really had a trouble with weight training. So never really lost a lot of muscle.

Another thing that's going to help you is putting a lot more veggies into your diet to replace some of the not so weight friendly foods. Make a "couscous" out of cauliflower, add chopped greens to your pasta, eat more steamed veggies. Green Giant makes these delicious single serving packs of veggies that you just stick in your microwave for a few minutes and it's set. Put it on wholegrain pasta or eat it itself, and it's a meal. Veggies are high volume/low calorie, so they're perfect.

This all, of course, in addition to the other advice.

] Are there any steadfast ways to lose weight and stay healthy inside and out?

Yes. Eat real, whole, nutrient dense foods like veggies, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. Avoid processed foods (things made with flour) and added sweeteners. Never drink or snack on sugar. Good for weight, blood sugar, health, anti-aging, acne, etc, etc.

And for the health dont eat soy, grains and artificial sugars. (you wouldnt eat these as long as you dont eat processed and drink water...)

And for the health dont eat soy, grains and artificial sugars. (you wouldnt eat these as long as you dont eat processed and drink water...)

I've wondered about the whole GMO soy thing. I have a can of spiru-tein that says NONGMO on the top but does that even guarantee that it's safe as far as that? I'm guessing it's still not good for you...

Avoid Soybean and Soy-based foods - Soybeans contains large quantities of natural toxins or “anti-nutrients,” including potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking and can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid (proteins) uptake. In test animals, diets high in enzyme inhibitors cause enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, thyroid malfunction and other diseases including cancer. Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.

Soy also contains one of the highest percentages of pesticides of any of our foods and is 99% genetically modified. Soybeans are also high in phytic acid, present in the bran or hulls of all seeds, which blocks the uptake of essential minerals - calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc - in the intestinal tract. Candida sufferers must avoid soy and all soy products in order to get well.

I've also wonder that if that is true...then is this?

The most common newfangled trans fats on the market to avoid are derived from plants such as canola (from rape seed), soy, safflower, corn, and flaxseed. These plants have evolved a variety of toxins designed to protect themselves from “predators,” such as grazing animals. These toxins block digestive enzymes that break down protein in the stomach. They seem to be specifically designed to effect mammalian enzymes that are are necessary for digestion, production of thyroid hormones, clot removal, immunity and general adaptability of cells. Therefore using such plants to produce oils and fats is unnatural.

Sorry I'm going way into depth. Cutting out grains all together is very hard. I haven't had any grains for about a month and I'm dying here (well you kinda get over it) but it's difficult because so many other people don't think twice to grab a pack of crackers and chow down. Plus everyone around me is enjoying pizza and cake and it's really annoying. I don't think it will be hard at all though when I move out for college.

Stats:

previous weight/height: 124 pounds, 5"4

current weight/height: around 137 pounds, 5"5

Hopefully I didn't miss this in one of the previous posts, but how old are you? I noted that you also grew an inch during this same time period; is it possible that your body may just be preparing for another growth spurt? I also wanted to point out that your BMI is 22.8 (normal range is between 18.5 and 24.9), which means that you're not even overweight. So your old clothes don't fit anymore. Maybe they're the problem -- not your body!

Sweat…a lot! Do you play any sports? Take up a sport. If you’re into any sports of course. If sports not your thing then you can always learn to play the violin like a nutcase :boohoo::) . I’ve forgotten their name the violin ladies band from Britain? James bond theme? Not sure, they seem pretty slim. 10-12 pounds don’t worry that’s not bad lol. Just don’t do anything extreme like eating too less. Eat the foods you like just try to keep it balanced oh and try eating on time. Drink more water. Fizzy drinks I quit drinking a long time ago, major tummy aches from it. I hate the gym,lol I get bored so quickly, you can always try that, although you seriously don’t need to when you can do it for free. Do you like running? ... Me neither :) , I just do it to stay fit generally plus for soccer. Swimming burns the most fast I recall a lot of people mentioning this. Take care