MemberMember
(@casablan)

Posted : 07/04/2010 11:04 am

Dear all,

Good day.

I'll introduce myself first.

Sex: M

Problem: Oily skin, mild acne

Still got oily face, even in the age of 24.

I went to 2 dermatologists in last 2 weeks, and the stories are:

Dermatologist A

Asked him about oily face, as I've already know how to 'tackle' my acne.

Derm A: What is your weight?

Me: 85 kg,

Derm A: (Adjusting how-long-accutane-should-be-taken-if-your-weight-is-xx kg-chart)...

60 weeks, you have to take it for a year.

Then I was prescribed with 20 mg Oratane per day by Derm A.

(As many of you aware of, dermatologists in Malaysia wont prescribe more than 20 mg per day. Usually 5/ 10 mg per day, 20 is the limit)

Dermatologist B

As for 2nd opinion, I went to Derm B and asked him about the same thing, oily face.

Derm B: The best way to control it is by taking accutane.

Me: If I take 20 mg per day, how long should I take it?

Derm B: About 2 to 3 months

I'm a little confused here guys, so my question would be:

1.) Is there a calculator to determine how much accutane that should be taken according to our weight?

Thanks.

Casa

MemberMember
(@jxr)

Posted : 07/04/2010 1:25 pm

Different derms will prescribe different dosages depending on their style and what they individually have seen work for their patients.

I have seen girls that weigh 50kg be prescribed 80mg per day. And I've seen guys weighing 100kg be prescribed 10mg per day.

All depends on your derms style. Now onto how long you should take it for... Derm B saying 2 to 3 months.. That confuses me as that just isn't long enough on a small dose like 20mg to see decent results. If you're going on 20mg per day you should be on accutane for at least 5-6 months.

My derm started me off on 80mg per day for 6 months.. and I weigh even a little bit less than you do. As for a calculator, I don't really know. However, I can give you a good idea of what your dose should be around (I know you can't really have above 20mg per day where you're from.. But just to give you a general idea).

If you went to a derm in the U.S or Canada.. Weighing 85kg (188lb) you would most likely get started on 60mg to see how you react to it, then bumped up to 80mg in the next month or two of your course for the rest of it if your blood tests and everything are okay. You would get put on it for about 6 months assuming your acne is moderate to severe.

Theres nothing really "bad" about low-dosage courses when you go on accutane, however being on 20mg or less has been known to increase your skin's chances of relapsing and breaking out again after you are finished with your accutane course.

If you could only get a max of 20mg per day dose from your derm, you could always use 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening if you wanted to expedite the process a bit giving you a total of 40mg per day. I wouldn't "recommend" this :P but if your blood tests and everything come back good, and you're feeling fine, then it could be an option.

I could definitely see the long-term low-dose course derm A suggested working, quotes like this one from Wikipedia should be considered.. "Lower dosage treatments, such as 10‚œ20 mg/day (approximately half the high dosage treatments above), are also highly effective, with greatly diminished side effects. However, such lower dosage courses may be associated with higher relapse rates requiring additional courses of isotretinoin."

MemberMember
(@steve32)

Posted : 07/04/2010 2:09 pm

My doc put me on 40mg for 1 month and 80mg for 7 months, but i think ill do 40mg one day and 80mg the next in a rotation. i dont see how 20mg for 2-3months will do anything. most people arent even clear by their 3rd month on 60mg+

MemberMember
(@casablan)

Posted : 07/05/2010 9:50 am

Different derms will prescribe different dosages depending on their style and what they individually have seen work for their patients.

I have seen girls that weigh 50kg be prescribed 80mg per day. And I've seen guys weighing 100kg be prescribed 10mg per day.

All depends on your derms style. Now onto how long you should take it for... Derm B saying 2 to 3 months.. That confuses me as that just isn't long enough on a small dose like 20mg to see decent results. If you're going on 20mg per day you should be on accutane for at least 5-6 months.

My derm started me off on 80mg per day for 6 months.. and I weigh even a little bit less than you do. As for a calculator, I don't really know. However, I can give you a good idea of what your dose should be around (I know you can't really have above 20mg per day where you're from.. But just to give you a general idea).

If you went to a derm in the U.S or Canada.. Weighing 85kg (188lb) you would most likely get started on 60mg to see how you react to it, then bumped up to 80mg in the next month or two of your course for the rest of it if your blood tests and everything are okay. You would get put on it for about 6 months assuming your acne is moderate to severe.

Theres nothing really "bad" about low-dosage courses when you go on accutane, however being on 20mg or less has been known to increase your skin's chances of relapsing and breaking out again after you are finished with your accutane course.

If you could only get a max of 20mg per day dose from your derm, you could always use 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening if you wanted to expedite the process a bit giving you a total of 40mg per day. I wouldn't "recommend" this 😛 but if your blood tests and everything come back good, and you're feeling fine, then it could be an option.

I could definitely see the long-term low-dose course derm A suggested working, quotes like this one from Wikipedia should be considered.. "Lower dosage treatments, such as 1020 mg/day (approximately half the high dosage treatments above), are also highly effective, with greatly diminished side effects. However, such lower dosage courses may be associated with higher relapse rates requiring additional courses of isotretinoin."

Dear Jxr,

Thanks for the infos and ideas.

Now I realize that Derm A wasn't bad after all (was thinking he wants to make me to take Accutane for a along time on purpose).

Been asking a lot of people on the internet, found out that Derm B won't prescribe more than 10 mg per day, no matter how serious the problems are, and 6 months is the limit. So going by that logic, I could assume that 20 mg per day for 3 months, is equal to 10 mg per day for 6 months and that's it, already complete 1 cycle of treatment.

And as for Derm A, I would really like to know about the accutane-calculator-thingy that has been used when I first saw him. Already asked ascentpharma about it, am waiting for their reply right now.

Thanks again Jxr.

Casa

MemberMember
(@casablan)

Posted : 07/05/2010 9:51 am

My doc put me on 40mg for 1 month and 80mg for 7 months, but i think ill do 40mg one day and 80mg the next in a rotation. i dont see how 20mg for 2-3months will do anything. most people arent even clear by their 3rd month on 60mg+

I guess I've to take it longer then 😉

Casa

MemberMember
(@norish-aida)

Posted : 10/28/2013 11:25 pm

I'm 45 yrs old and have acne since I was 16. I took the risk to take accutane regardless of the bad side effects I could have. My doctor prescribed me 20mg of accutane per day, after one and half month all my acne is clear, but I also take royal jelly by forever living product, so I guess that's why it works so fast. The side effects for me are joint paints and severe chapped lips.