Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toraeo

Lips splitting open and bleeding

Hey,

I'm new to this forum! I've been on roaccutane for about 7 and a half weeks now. I've had some dry skin but nothing too significant. I've also had generalised hair loss, was the first time my derm had seen hair loss on roaccutane.

Worst thing has been my lips, they are constantly dry and cracked. They sometimes split open and bleed. I always wake up with a thick layer of peeled skin on my lips. They are also constantly swelled up and when washed they become red and extremely sensitive.

I use vaseline constantly all day and it helps but it seems to be absorbed/rubbed off within 10 minutes. Tried various lip balms but they are ineffective.

I was just wondering if it is common to have such terrible lips? I knew they would be dry but I didn't know they would be splitting and bleeding. I'm not due to see my derm again until the 3rd August so any helpful tips for lips would be much appreciated! :surprised:

Thanks in advance.

Note: I'm in the UK so I can only buy products available here.

You reallly need to take care of that. I have real dry lips on month 6 but I have used aquaphor alll throughout the course and it has made wonders. I probably put some on once every hour and its fine. My derm told me, once your lips start to crack and bleed, it will be hell the rest of the course because it takes a little bit to get back to normal. Im not trying to scare you but you should try aquaphor if you haven't already.

If I were you I would go to a chemist and tell the pharmacist that you are taking accutane and Im sure they will be able to reccommend something. Dont just talk to the lady at the counter in boots, ask to talk to the pharmacist - im sure theyve dealt it with it alot!

Let us know how you get on with your treatment!

Edited by DEL XX

I used to have this problem with the splitting lips etc.. Then I started using a lot of Blistex and I don't have this issue anymore. I have to re-apply it a lot but its worth it!

Thanks for all the replies! I will give blistex a go first as it's easy to get hold of. I'd try aquaphor but it's very expensive as it's a US product and can only find it online, unless anyone in the UK knows a store that sells it?

If blistex isn't much help I'll get down to the chemists!

Thanks alot for your suggestions anyway!

I used to have this problem with the splitting lips etc.. Then I started using a lot of Blistex and I don't have this issue anymore. I have to re-apply it a lot but its worth it!

Thanks for this! Blistex works a treat! Using the intensive moisture cream like tube at night and when I get up. Also using the soothing splash roll on stick through the day and now have relatively decent looking lips!

This forum is so helpful.