Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kamiwo17

Please comment on my plan for scars (atrophic)

Hey all,

I've got atrophic, mostly rolling scars on my cheeks. My acne is that a small spot pops out occasionally so I can assume I don't have a problem with it anymore. I decided to do sth about my scars. Being fresh to the issue, I was considering saline shots but chickened out (there is no pro who would perform this procedure in my area so would have to do them on my own). I've purchased a dermaroller and here's what I want to do:

1. Every 4-5 weeks: 1.00mm dermaroll all over my cheeks + 2mm dermastamp on single, deeper scars (started 2 weeks ago and am planning to carry on with it on a regular basis); following the dermaroll, I apply Vit C + HA serum. I'm also thinking of buying a 0.2mm to use every week for better product absorption.

2. Internally: high doses of Vit C, zinc, selenium, B complex, healthy diet

3. In winter, I'm planning to start with TCA CROSS series until the Easter.

So what do you think about this plan? Do you think it may work for atrophic scars? Cheers.

i think it sounds like a good plan. you mentioned tca cross, so i was instantly won over. im hoping to have many rounds of tca cross, followed hopefully by needling. quite honestly, the vitamins sounds fine. i do have a few minor points:

1. you might want to apply neosporin or vaseline jelly + egf cream after needling/tca crosses;

2. instead of using the HA serum, why not use HA supplements? the effect might be greater;

3. have you considered the use of red/yellow/infrared LEDs to help you post healing;

3. whats the intended benefit of the selenium?

Edited by sydney_fellow

Can you please tell me what in particular makes you so fond of TCA cross method?

I know there are HA supplements but I also need some moisturiser for day and night (otherwise my skinn will get greasy which will make matters worse. HA is a great moisturiser. I'm in love with it. I use the Vit C and HA serum at night. I don't really know if taking HA internally may have any effect. Will give it a try some day (pills are rather expensive).

Forgot to say that in October, I'll also start with a local equivalent of Retin-A but more suitable for greasy skin.

Havent considered light therapy - dunno if it gives any results. I'll consult it with my derm when I start TCA crosses - right now, I am doing dermarolling which leaves me with about 3-day downtime; I rinse the microwounds with saline (supposedly helps healing).

the reason im so fond of tca cross are the reviews on here. whilst people have done needling and the results seem okay, i have seen a lot of people say their scars have almost disappeared using tca cross. it makes sence since tca cross causes a lot more damage than needling alone. the general tone on this site is a negative one so when you hear consistently good reviews in amongst all the negative ones, its hard not to take notice.

i tried tca cross on myself late last year along with some tca peels and saw some good results. i wasnt very good at it, so theres no doubt if done properly i wouldve seen a better result. i've learnt a lot since then and plan to get them done professionally in around 8 months after im finished my post accutane waiting period.

the benefits of LED lights were shown by lamar1986 or a similar member. he used it after needling and found he was getting more of a result than before. its believed it will improve the results of any treatment eg. needling, tca cross, peels etc. i only paid $130 for mine and in my opinion, money well spent.

Edited by sydney_fellow

Kami, good move to Retin-a. Is your local equivilant Tretinol? http://dermatology.about.com/cs/topicals/a/tretinoin.htm

Be wary of anything that does not contain Tretinoin Creme, because there is no scientific backing to there claims. Cosmetic companies can say just about anything, and they do. Don't get hooked on a sales pitch!!! Check for the proper amount of Tretinoin because too little is useless.

I will not coment on TCA because I have not used it. I have used LEDs with little if any effect, but I won't condemn them because there is considerable scientific evidence on their usage. Just as lasers don't work the same on everyone so may be the case with LEDs.

Sydney, don't get too hooked on anecdotal evidence. People can get hooked on a treatment that may or may not be helping them. I am probably the biggest supporter of Re:pair simply because I believe it is the only treatment that has shown results, but I could be wrong, and Re:pair is not for everybody, and it is costly and takes time to work.

It is best to be wary about the use of megavitamins. The evidence is mounting in study after study that these do not work and may in fact be harmful.

http://www.ecmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/169/1/47

Hey all,

I've got atrophic, mostly rolling scars on my cheeks. My acne is that a small spot pops out occasionally so I can assume I don't have a problem with it anymore. I decided to do sth about my scars. Being fresh to the issue, I was considering saline shots but chickened out (there is no pro who would perform this procedure in my area so would have to do them on my own). I've purchased a dermaroller and here's what I want to do:

1. Every 4-5 weeks: 1.00mm dermaroll all over my cheeks + 2mm dermastamp on single, deeper scars (started 2 weeks ago and am planning to carry on with it on a regular basis); following the dermaroll, I apply Vit C + HA serum. I'm also thinking of buying a 0.2mm to use every week for better product absorption.

2. Internally: high doses of Vit C, zinc, selenium, B complex, healthy diet

3. In winter, I'm planning to start with TCA CROSS series until the Easter.

So what do you think about this plan? Do you think it may work for atrophic scars? Cheers.

Subcision is the best treatment for rolling scars, in my opinion. Even if you have to travel to another city for treatment, you should start with that. I've gotten amazing results on my rolling cheek scars from subcision. My doctor used a combination of traditional subcision (breaking the bond that holds down the scar) and saline subcision. He injected a mixture of saline and novacaine for the pain. The saline seems to elevate the area long enough for the collagen to start re-growing. I used strong copper peptides during the day (Supercop 2X), and vit C serum at night, along with tretinoin cream. Keep up your program of nutritional support.

Hey,

My local equivalent of Retin-A is Zorac and it has got good reviews at forums from users here in Poland. It is a prescription medicine so I will have to consult its use with a derm. Also, I am gonna start using it autumn when there is less sun. Still, do you think I can use a retinoid on a daily basis and then go for TCA peel?

What is the downtime of subcision? From what I've read, after TCA peel (full face), people are freely able to go back to work after one week. Hence, I'm gonna plan my next year carefully so as to fit the TCA cross sessions into holidays so that I would take 2-3 days off work.

Im aware of the threats behind exaggerated vitamin use but I'm a very active sort of person and I happen to skip meals and have some fruit to fill in my stomach (2 months ago, I would go on candybars).

Now another issue - what do you think of putting on weight? I'm rather slim and when I puff my cheeks, my scars are less noticeable. Do you think gaining some extra fat might help with the appearance of the scars?

There is one scar on my face which is very deep. I gues that for this one, I will still need to have some surgical procedure. However, in photos it doesn't look as bad as in the mirror :).

Some more questions:).

1. Do you have a feeling that when you are tanned, your scars are less noticeable?

2. Do people tell you that you look older than you are