Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acnedefeater

Need to GAIN weight WITHOUT dairy products

So I'm a guy and I'm very underweight. I need to gain weight. I l don't look anorexic or anything, but I do get the occasional comment about how I'm SOOOO skinny, need to pack on some pounds, eat more etc.

I am good looking but definitely on the thinner side. I had a HUGE acne problem in my teens but due to the Acne.org Regimen I am completely clear and want to stay that way.

So I've decided to start a weight gaining diet. One problem...I don't want to consume dairy products due to the chance they might break me out. I currently consume very limited dairy (maybe some organic yogurt 2x per week, very little milk, cheese, ice cream etc.)

Can someone recommend me a good diet to follow that I can use to gain weight with extremely limited or no dairy products??

Thanks.

Vegan protein powder... there is one by Genuine Health called Vegan Protein+. :)

rentstuff, I don't think the Paleo diet is supposed to make you GAIN weight?? I know someone on the Paleo diet and, as I understand, it's simply a lot of lean meat, vegetables, low GI fruit and other "hunter" foods (ie. those that you can actually get in the wild).

TDot, I will definitely try to get some of that Vegan Protein powder.

Thanks for your help and if anyone has anymore suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Being acne free is great and I want to gain some weight just to look healthier, but the last thing I want to come with the weight gain is bad acne, which I have unfortunately experience before and am deathly scared to experience again.

Can you eat nuts? They might break you out in large quantities but you could figure it out. Blue diamond actually has unsweetened almond butter that is cheap as hell. If not, you could buy almonds yourself or some other nut & soak them, dehydrate, and butter in a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder.

CheyCheyene, yes, I can eat nuts. I tried eating a lot of peanut butter two weeks ago and I did notice a very, very small whitehead on the edge of my nose. I doubt it was due to the peanut butter though. I had a very poor sleep schedule, a lot of stress, and poorer eating habits for the prior two weeks due to work.

I bought almond butter instead just to be safe and will start eating it more often to add calories.

whatever you are eating now and doesnt break you out, i would just eat more of it

thats what im doing and gained some weight past couple weeks

Vegan protein powder... there is one by Genuine Health called Vegan Protein+. :)

OMG NO!!! If it comes from soy it can cause defiencys and infertality. Protein power is very processed. And supplementation is never as good as normal food. You miss the little things that help with digestion.

Eat meat eggs and nuts (walnut magadavien)

raw milk doesnt seem to give ppl any troubles.

Edited by joris

OP, What kind of "WEIGHT" are you looking for anyway?!

Paleo diet will make you gain MUSCLE. Look up the diet of Ancient Roman athletes online - HIGH PROTEIN, low carb, basically Atkins diet. Lots of beef.

OMG NO!!! If it comes from soy it can cause defiencys and infertality. Protein power is very processed. And supplementation is never as good as normal food. You miss the little things that help with digestion.

LOL NO it doesnt, read the ingredients there's NO SOY in it. It comes from hemp, rice and cranberry seed protein.

rentstuff, yes, I'm looking to gain muscle. I will try the Paleo diet. I will start eating A LOT of Chicken, Beef, Fish, Nuts, etc.

I really hope I can do this without dairy. I'm not willing to risk having my acne come back simply in order to gain some weight. I'd rather be a little underweight and good looking than normal weight and covered in acne.

Thanks everyone for your help. If you have anymore ideas, let me know I'd love to hear them.

LOL NO it doesnt, read the ingredients there's NO SOY in it. It comes from hemp, rice and cranberry seed protein.

Think i am going to have to order some of this since i am still trying to gain weight and lifting weights daily at the gym again. Always wanted one that was dairy and soy free, this looks promising! Thanks for the tip!

Olive oil is a healthy fat that is high in calories... try cooking with it, drizzling it on meat or even spreading it on toast if you eat bread (it sounds disgusting but it's not). Also, if you're not sensitive to chocolate, a dark variety is a relatively healthy source of fat and calories. Most super dark chocolate is dairy free. Just be sure to check the label and look for one with a cacao content of at least 70%, that's what's recommended for health benefits-- I LOVE Lindt chocolate and they have a 85% cacao bar that is to die for. And as other posters have already suggested, nuts and nut butter are high in calories and contain healthy fats. Peanut and almond aren't your only options, either-- just about every nut is made into butter, and by adding a few servings of nut butter a day you'll be increasing your calorie intake substantially.

rentstuff, yes, I'm looking to gain muscle. I will try the Paleo diet. I will start eating A LOT of Chicken, Beef, Fish, Nuts, etc.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Wait a minute. I don't want to keep your hopes high because restricting your milk alone does not and will not guarantee a clear face.

BUILDING MUSCLE = MORE TESTOSTERONE = INCREASED SEBUM PRODUCTION = NOT NECESSARILY ACNE BUT = LOCAL LINOLEIC ACID (OMEGA-6, BORAGE OIL GLA) DEFICIENCY == THICKER SKIN (HYPERCORNIFICATION) = ACNE

SO HERE COMES BP to the rescue. BP and Retinoids exfoliates (they are called KERATOLYTIC, kera-, keratin = skin protein) the thick skin that doesn't slough off naturally for acne sufferers. You also need to apply the oily Borage Oil afterwards to prevent thickening of the skin and minimize your BP/retinoid use.

SO:

SALICYLIC ACID - facial wash, exfoliant

BP or RETIN-A - exfoliant/keratolytic

BORAGE OIL - prevents linoleic acid deficiency on the face to stop future thickening of skin and acne

NEOSPORIN = Cheaper antibiotic than BP, buy the cream; or buy the generic polysporin OINTMENT.

NO, TAKING BORAGE OIL ORALLY SOMETIMES WILL NOT WORK. HENCE THE "LOCAL" deficiency.

Easy really.

Nuts

Oily fish

HIGH FAT MEATS, not just lean.

Tuna

Chicken legs/thighs as they are MUCH cheaper than breast and more calorie dense.

LOTS of veg. Fruit too.

Olive oil.

Coconut oil.

RAW milk wont break you out, if you can source it. I have just found somewhere that delivers to me for not much more than regular milk!

Sweet potato - probably the best source of carbs, high vitamin A and easiest to digest.

Rice soaked in water for 12-24 hours - removes the lectins and helps digestibility.

Supps - fish oil and mutli vit. All you need, dont spend anything on whey or anything else unless you HAVE to.

Pretty much what im on, gluten free, low sugar, high in fats and protein with enough carbs to replenish glycogen after a heavy session. I can hit 3k calories a day if needed without too much fuss.

Edited by ben90

ben90, thanks for your advice. I will look for all of the foods that you mentioned in order to help me gain some healthy weight.

I can't find any RAW milk around here so I'll just keep all dairy out of my diet.

rentstuff, although not drinking milk, eating yogurt etc. will not guarantee me a clear face, it sure will increase my chances of remaining clear as I try to gain weight. Dairy products have been shown in numerous studies to correlate with acne symptoms. Dan mentions that reducing or eliminating dairy from your diet should help hasten clearing.

Given that my testosterone levels will already be increasing, the last thing I need is to add in a food group that has been shown to increase acne symptoms in A LOT of people.