Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falnhart

Looking for Michelangelo of Skin Surgery

I've met some of the best (on paper) surgeons, both dermatologists and plastic surgeons. But as I said, only on paper are they among the best. I'm looking for a prominent surgeon that is competent academically, but more so surgically and ARTISTICLY. In short, the Michelangelo of surgery. I don't care where, or how much. I have done numerous searches for exactly this, but most of these surgeons' prominence is based on their own bragging. I'm pretty confident with my choice of dermabrasion surgeon (Dr. Yarborough) in a few months, but I do need the best there is for punch elevation, punch grafting, or punch excision. Not sure which is best suited for me, but I'll let the doc. figure that out. If you have suggestions, please inform.

depending on where you are, check out big university hospitals (these surgeons have a lot of patient turnover and these are places that also conduct research etc...) the best always have affilitaions with prominant teeching and research facilities. And consult with several. also, always ask to see patient photos and maybe even meet with former patients...And the doc should have done hundreds uopn hundreds of the procedures. NEVER be a test patient.

What i found to be useful...Go to the dermatology clinic at a hospital>you'll be seen by a lowly resident (but they are SO conscientious and REALLY want to help haha cause their starting out) and then you'll be seen BY THREE TOP DERMS at the hospital because the resident will have to consult with them and you can get excellent recommendations. i did this for something other than deratology and got a recommendation for one of the best primary docs I've ever had in my life because the resident worked under him and knew him to be good. you'll also save money, the clinic visits are covered by insurance, mine was...and you'll be getting more consultaion bang for the buck

Thank you Chloe! That was really interesting and potentially useful. Anybody else out there in "scar-space" have any doctor-finding methods that they care to share. This seems to be more important than anything - to talk to a real professional and arteest - to solve the scar problem.

Yo Falnhart, good luck on your search. I can't give you a lot of assistance in this area. Only can agree with that the ones that puff them selves up on paper usually aren't as good as they're made out to be.

Hey, did you ever get over to see Dr. Chu for a consult and biopsy? If you could share how that went, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey Craig, I decided to wait out the biopsy until I discontinue Accutane. I have another month to go, which will be my third month. My appointment with Dr. Chu was changed to early October. I did see one of the leading clinical trial doctors for Isolagen (Dr. Gregory Chernoff) in OC and he did confirm that Isolagen would be the answer to my problems. He said "You don't have to look like this." He said it would be FDA approved within the next year, but can't wait that long.

Thanks for the run down Falnhart. Yeah some of those before/afters of Dr. Chernoff are impressive. It's good to know a well known Dr. gives you a treatment option and vote of confidence. Best of luck either way you go.

Regards

Hey i just read a small article, i think it's in allure magazine this month/aug issue about a certain injectable that stimulates your own skin's fibroblasts to produce collagen for up to a year (think FDA approval is pending, it's in the trial period)>may be a better more permanent or safer solution>i'll look for the darn mag to try and get you the exact info>but it's being used mostly for wrinkles, so far.

By the way how severe are your scars? Maybe non ablative may help?

Anyway...

- Best of luck!

Chloe, severe enough to whack the incompetent dermatologist that treated me just before it happened (the scarring). I've been merciful. Anyhow, most of them are shallow, and just seem more like a loss of underlying tissue (contour defect?) then anything else. Although the skin is still rough. Then some deeper ones along side of cheeks, not ice-picks, just deep but smooth surface.

I've heard the best things about:

- Rappaport in NJ

- Yarborough in New Orleans

- Rullen in CA

Ours, Thanks for the names. I've already had one subcision to no success by Rapaport in Oct. of 2000. I saw Dr. Yarborough couple weeks ago and will be getting first dermabrasion sometime in Jan. I've heard of Rullen in the San Diego area, but he spends alot of time in the voy.com forum and I'm not sure what to think of it. Besides, he's supposedly known for exoderm, which may not be suitable for me as I'm light olive skinned.

falnhart I know how frustrated you feel! ALL of my scars happened when I was vegetarian for two years (I got nearly every scar in less than a one year span VERY upsetting), i wish the damn media had said that soy carried risks...Ah well lies lies lies for $$$$$$$. Also, I had a bad derm when i had very mild acne as a teen >he did nothing but stupid peels so that was a waste and was, well, a perv so he traumatized me I hated all docs and turned to vegtariansim because of it;s alterbative anti-doc connotations>boy was that the biggest single mistake of my life>

ANYWAY, sorry i hijacked your thread a bit with my rant. i truly hope you get the best scar treatments.much luck and success with that! For lasers, i know Melanie Grossman in NYC has been the leader and main researcher in cosmetic laser surgery. I haven't gone to her but a lot of the innovatiosn in laser treatments are hers.