Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BM745

Is this a scar, or possibly leading to one?

Sorry for posting this in another forum, but I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I'm dealing with.

I got a pimple on my nose back in May. Nothing serious, just kinda tender.. the sort of pimple I've had about a thousand times before. The sort that usually sticks around, but fades without a trace in a week or two.

Well, this thing on my nose went down in size, and stopped hurting, but left behind a red mark. For awhile, I assumed it was just your average run-of-the-mill redmark, and nothing to worry about. Well, then the pimple came back right over it. Again, I waited it out, and it went away leaving a red mark behind. Thing is, this time the red mark was raised up a little bit, which is unlike any red mark I've ever had before.

So I leave it alone for nearly.. a month and a half. FAR longer than any red mark I've ever had. They're usually gone in a few weeks assuming no new pimples develop in the area. Eventually, it shrinks in size, and feels *almost* flat to the touch, however it's still red, and *looks* raised, like a pimple.

Theorizing that it IS a pimple, just really, really deep under the skin, I try to pop it. End up squeezing out nothing but a lot of oil, and draw a bit of blood from picking at it so hard. It scabs over. A week goes by, and the scab falls off. It LOOKS a little bit better, or perhaps I'm just insane, but it no longer feels raised. That was two or three weeks ago, and it's back to normal. Red.. raised. Looking like NOTHING I've ever had on my nose. I picked at it again tonight, very slightly.. just testing the waters to see if I could finally pop.. whatever it is.. because I have NO idea what this is. It looks like a normal mark left behind by a pimple, but.. there hasn't been a pimple there in 2.5 months. Though it does have a bit of a white, almost film-like covering that sort of reminds me of a tiny blister.

In any case, does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? Or if it's scar? Or if it's not a scar, if it COULD scar? I've never had anything leave me with a scar before, and I'm getting really paranoid thinking that this nasty thing, unlike anything I've ever had is going to be the first thing to scar me.. and right on the end of my nose, no less. sad.gif

Any advice?

It could be a scar. Good news are that if it is small and raised you can easily reduce it's size by massage with one of the scar gels/creams in the market.

if it's a flat small mark, don't worry about it, it's probably unnoticeable it should fade and don't pick even if it comes back.

but i would see a derm just in case, about that specifically, especially if it recurs. it may be something other than a pmple or your picking may have just been reinfecting it and inflaming the area. but since this is your only mark, don't worry about it

Well, I'm trying not to worry, and looking up as much information on acne scarring on the internet as I possibly can. Unfortunately, as everyone I'm sure can attest to, EVERY site is going to tell you something differently.

However most sites can agree that only severe nodular/cystic acne ends up scarring. I've never had any of that, I'm sure.. just a random pimple here and there. Sometimes I get something that'll be tender to the touch, but I'll pop it, and it'll fade away into a red mark, and be gone within a couple of weeks. Pretty sure that's not a "severe" thing, is it?

Well, in any case.. I AM on antibiotics for acne, so I doubt this thing on my nose is infected. It's totally painless. I'm hoping it's just a freak red mark that's taking forever to heal.

Incidently, I got ANOTHER pimple on my nose around the same time as this "thing", that was much worse, and this one I actually had to pop a few times. It's since become a totally flat red mark, but remains red to this day.. so perhaps my nose is just taking longer to heal for some reason?

Also, I'm flip-flopping back and forth between two SA facewashes to help exfoliate these marks away, and I'm wondering something. Do the harsher washes perhaps do their job a bit better? I've been using a very gentle 2% SA wash that leaves my face feeling smooth and clear.. thinking that "less irritation = good", but I'm wondering (because I have in the past) seen good results with a slightly harsher 2% SA wash that really tightens my skin for an hour or two after use. I also notice that my skin flakes off a bit more after washing with the harsher wash, so perhaps harsher = better, as it exfoliates better? What do you think?

As for the above poster, it's not really a "flat" mark. It is small. Perhaps the size of... O ... <<< that capital 'o', but it feels ever so slightly raised to the touch. As for being noticable, my girlfriend (who I've been stressing to about this thing for the two months I've had it) says she doesn't see a damned thing, but it's the first thing I see every time I look in the mirror. sad.gif

Sorry to go all over the place with this topic, but some people on one of the other boards said perhaps it's an air bubble under the skin? I honestly have no idea.

It depends. Even mild acne can lead to some type of scarring (mild/very mild scarring like scarred pores, I think, especially if you pick your zits and I hope you don't generally do this).

Unfortunately, I'm a picker. I pick at everything. Clogged pores, blackheads.. everything.

BUT, suffering from acne since I was 14 (21 now), I've yet to scar even slightly from any of my picking.

Thing is, I didn't even pick this one. Just left it alone, and it went away.. and turned into whatever the hell it is. Granted, after a MONTH of it not going away, I tried to pop it.. and scabbed it up.

My honest candid opinion, CHILL OUT already. people have worse problems and you'll laugh about this one day over how you got so stressed over a tiny mark. i doubt it's an air bubble. if you're that worried, consult a dermatologist (visit a dermatology clinic at a good universitu hospital near you for a consultaion). and quit popping your pimples, regardless of whether it leaves a scar or not.

sorry if i sound harsh but really, your making a mountain out of a pimple hill...perhaps a small dab of over the counter cortisone cream to help it heal, applied for only a week once a day may help (don't use it for a long time, cortisone thins skin and you don't want to use a topical steriod for a prolonged time)

I know that people have worse problems, and I probably sound like I'm bitching about a lot of nothing. But try to understand that as mediocre as this sounds, it's the worst thing that I'VE had, so I'm a little concerned. And regardless of how bad my problem is or isn't to the rest of the world, if it's a bad problem in my *own* perception, then it's going to be a problem for me.

And you're right, I'm sure I'll be thinking back one day laughing at this when this spot is gone, but you know, I might also regret all the days in the last two months I've spent not going out, or sitting around with people asking to turn the lights out because I'm so damned self-conscious.

I just wanted some opinions on..

1) What the hell it is, because it's unlike anything I've had. Pimple? Scar? Really badly clogged pore? Air bubble?

2) How to treat it. Exfoliate more? Exfoliate better? Cortizone? Scar creams? Regular acne routine?

Also, I wonder if perhaps I stopped moisturizing the area for awhile, it'd get really dry, and eventually kinda flaky from all the BP I use on my face. The flaking, combined with frequent use of SA, might exfoliate off the top layer of skin, finally getting rid of this thing?

Or would it be better to keep the area moisturized, to promote healing?

I am 23. I got all my scarred pores in a period of about a year. It all started when I was about 21 as far as I remember. I was a picker like you. I have scarred pores between the area of the noise and the eyes and I don't think that they'll go away, although they look better since all the treatments I did on them. A couple of very mild scars that I have seem to respond better to treatments. Stop picking, just treat your acne with topicals if it is mild (this is more fun than picking anyway, I think). Stop now that your have your chance not to have scars in the future. Once they come on your face, it's very hard to remove them (if it is possible at all).

Well, I don't intentionally pick. I've gotten a lot better. I only really pop pimples that've formed into GROSS whiteheads.. though I'm still pretty bad with blackheads, because they're virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.

What exactly is a "scarred pore"? What would it consist of?

Nah, I understand about people's perception of their own probs and if it's bad to you it shouldn't be dismissed. believe me, I can be that way myself a lot of times!! But, do realize that a small imperfection on the nose shouldn't make you freak out so much that you won't want to go out, your PANIC is the bigger issue. But i would say, visit a dermatologist to take a look at it (get a referral from your regular doc or visit a clinic so your insurance covers it). It will ease your mind and help explain what it is...I strongly doubt it's an airbubble, if it's only slightly raised.

Stay calm and turn your worry into action by visiting a derm>

Also i agree with the above poster>>>scarring may be more common after the teens, and it can be hard to predict what will leave a scar or what scars or marks may eventually disappear so what youre picking NOW may be leaving scars regardless of how well you healed before. as a precaution, don't pick anymore 9I know it's hard to resist but try)

Ahh, if only I HAD insurance, perhaps I'd visit a doctor of some sort. sad.gif

It just doesn't seem so small and imperfect when it's so red, and I'm so fair.

In any case, I'll probably just leave it alone and hope it goes away. What does everyone think it is? I know a derm visit is advised if I REALLY want to know what it is, but what does it sound like to everyone?

It is really hard to tell. It may be a scar but it is entirely possible it is something else.

Maybe it is just inflamed because you keep picking it? I would totally leave it alone for a while and see if it goes away.

You should really see a Derm to find out what it is. If you attend college they usually offer insurance.

BM745,

What you've described in your original post sounds like it could be something else.. possibly a new mole growth?

Are u middle aged and under the sun alot?

The only thing that makes me think it's not something other than a pimple is because it was originally, a pimple.

It's impossible to say what it is without seeing it. I would suggest you make an appt. with a Dermatologist and find out exactly what it is. Also ask them what can be done about it.

Well, it's just too hard to get appointments when you don't have insurance, and you're too broke to pay.

I think this thing is getting bigger.. I really wish I knew what it was.

Well, it's just too hard to get appointments when you don't have insurance, and you're too broke to pay.

I think this thing is getting bigger.. I really wish I knew what it was.

Yeah, I appreciate the help. smile.gif

Anyone have any more ideas on what this could be? Scar? Red mark? Zit really, really, really deep under the skin?

maybe what you're experiencing is a change in pigment. Sometimes we are left with permanent hyperpigmentation...however small the area or how it happened. If it's not a pimple anymore, maybe you should check with your dr. to see if it's not another skin condition. Moles come in all shapes and colors too...so that is also a possibility. Hope this helped

The only thing that worries me is the fact that this spot is raised. Would a change in pigment be necessarily raised?

This thing looks and feels just like a pimple. But after four months, I highly doubt that's what it is anymore.

BM,

did you see a derm? it could still be inflammed. have y ou ever had a cyst before? could this be one?

sometimes normal pimples can develop into cysts if their contents is pushed back from all the picking.