Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beatrice1

Spiro not working??

I've been taking spiro for about 2 1/2 months and still not working. After a week on it I had a very bad IB, but it calmed down after a month, but still even today I think I'm breaking out more than usual. I'm taking 100mg a night + Yaz (for a year). Does that mean Spiro is not for me? I really thought my breakouts were hormonal since I've had them for 11 years (24 yrs old now).

How long does it usually take for it to start working? My derm won't up my dosage either :wacko:

ive been on for 3 months. still not working.

but have u noticed any improvement? like less oily skin? ive noticed that. its still there, but not as bad.. but im only on 50mg.

i think spiro just takes ALOT of time.

I don't know. My skin is really a mess right now. Is there any other bcp that would be good for the skin?

The reason I started Yaz was because I'm too sensitive for the other bcp's. But I feel that the spiro made my skin worse and it's like it never really recovered from the IB I had. My skin was more dry in the beginning from the spiro, now it's getting a little bit oily again. Could be because I live in Miami, and summer here is really the worst time for anyone with acne prone skin to be here.

My derm wants me to take accutane with the spiro so we see a faster and better result.

Please don't give up! I started Spiro the beginning of June 2009 and it didn't really 'take' until late November! I had IB after IB which were driving me insane! I didn't want to leave the house! But when it finally totally kicked in I was ready to name a child whoever developed this medication. My skin is consistently clear - for the first time in my life.

Please don't give up! I started Spiro the beginning of June 2009 and it didn't really 'take' until late November! I had IB after IB which were driving me insane! I didn't want to leave the house! But when it finally totally kicked in I was ready to name a child whoever developed this medication. My skin is consistently clear - for the first time in my life.

I'm glad it's working for you! How many mg of spiro are you taking? Was your acne mild?

I'm glad it's working for you! How many mg of spiro are you taking? Was your acne mild?

It was moderate. As a teenager/young adult I had occasional mild breakouts and antibiotics kept it somewhat under control. Then as I moved into my 30's it got worse. I took three courses of accutane which worked for about 10 years then in my 40's it came back with a vengeance - this time cystic - and even another round of accutane didn't clear it up. I'm on 100 mg.

I don't know. My skin is really a mess right now. Is there any other bcp that would be good for the skin?

The reason I started Yaz was because I'm too sensitive for the other bcp's. But I feel that the spiro made my skin worse and it's like it never really recovered from the IB I had. My skin was more dry in the beginning from the spiro, now it's getting a little bit oily again. Could be because I live in Miami, and summer here is really the worst time for anyone with acne prone skin to be here.

My derm wants me to take accutane with the spiro so we see a faster and better result.

Don't know what your skin regimen is but thought I would jump in. My daughter was using Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer after a recent bad reaction to BP but found that it was too mild for sweaty summer months. It seems that when she changed to a oily/combo skin care line she cleared up fast. Hang in there...Yaz and spiro have worked wonders for DD. No acne anywhere. She's been on it twice. The second time around it took longer for her to clear up. Like 6 months maybe? Also spiro will lessen the possible IB with accutane so I woudn't be afraid of it. I read up on that when researching spiro. I wish our derm had been that savvy when DD went on accutane. It would have saved a lot of heart ache...Good luck and remember that no one notices your acne as much as you do...

Does anyone know how to get rid of scars? I have some mild scarring that I'm trying to get rid of, but it doesn't seem like an easy job. Did pixel a month ago, but didn't really see much of a difference, in fact I started breaking out like crazy after the pixel. I'm getting so frustrated with my skin.

If the spiro is not working for me, does that mean my acne is not hormonal? Almost 3 months now, and still nothing, if anything my acne is worse.

:think:

Does anyone know how to get rid of scars? I have some mild scarring that I'm trying to get rid of, but it doesn't seem like an easy job. Did pixel a month ago, but didn't really see much of a difference, in fact I started breaking out like crazy after the pixel. I'm getting so frustrated with my skin.

If the spiro is not working for me, does that mean my acne is not hormonal? Almost 3 months now, and still nothing, if anything my acne is worse.

:think:

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to chime in and say I'm in the same boat! I've been on spiro for about 2 months now and the results have been less than impressive. Not ready to give up yet as I feel certain my breakouts are hormonal (flare ups the week before my period, breakouts concentrated along my jaw). I'm not on BCP (I'm a naughty, naughty smoker), but I am on doxycycline, tretinoin, and just recently added a prescription strength BP face-wash. My dermatologist recommends tretinoin for scarring, but it's been a PITA so far. For now I'm just keeping on keeping on.

I've been taking accutane, 20 mg with spiro for 10 days now, and it actually seem to work. Yay I'm so happy. My derm from brazil put me on this regim, she told me that the spiro would fix my hormonal problem, and the accutane would take care of the rest. (it seems the accutane really kicked in from one day to another) I live in miami tho, and there's no way a derm here would have put me on accutane, i guess because of all the legal issues here in the U.S. which is a shame, because it would have saved me for a lot of money and time. (my acne is pretty mild, but very very persistant) In the past I took solodyn, doxy, etc, and nothing worked.

Also if any of you guys have problems with big pores i recommend exuviance rejuvenating masque, best thin i ever tried.

I leave it on over night, and it takes care of everything, acne, red marks, and pores.

:dance:

I've been taking accutane, 20 mg with spiro for 10 days now, and it actually seem to work. Yay I'm so happy. My derm from brazil put me on this regim, she told me that the spiro would fix my hormonal problem, and the accutane would take care of the rest. (it seems the accutane really kicked in from one day to another) I live in miami tho, and there's no way a derm here would have put me on accutane, i guess because of all the legal issues here in the U.S. which is a shame, because it would have saved me for a lot of money and time. (my acne is pretty mild, but very very persistant) In the past I took solodyn, doxy, etc, and nothing worked.

Also if any of you guys have problems with big pores i recommend exuviance rejuvenating masque, best thin i ever tried.

I leave it on over night, and it takes care of everything, acne, red marks, and pores.

:dance:

Are any of you guys experiencing a lot of blackheads and closed comedones from spiro? I mainly only had this on my t-zone and around that area, but it seems like it has spread around all over my face now. I wrote before the acctuane helped me, but i think i jinxed myself, Idk if i'm having another IB from the tane or what. But I honestly can't see any reduction in acne anymore. I think everything just got worse.

I've been on Spiro 100mg now for almost 3 months, how much longer should i stick to it? I know at least my hair gets less oily.

Man would i give anything to understand my hormones right now. :redface:

i totally have tons of blackheads/whiteheads since starting spiro too!! i'm currently on 75mg a day and just started my 5th month and feel things could be better. I dont have any active acne but tons of clogged pores in my chin area. I've never been this bad before.I thought the spiro was drying things out too much and my body started to produce more oil to compensate for it. I dont have the answer but thought by now things would be great