Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C.A

Dont know where to start

I have moderate/severe acne scarring and having researched the options, I am quite keen on subcision. However I have no idea where to go/ask first. I am in the UK, if anyone has had subcision performed or similar techniques, was it private or using the NHS? Any advice will be much appreciated thanks.

Also, I am not quite sure on the difference between subcision and punch excision, can someone clarify the difference and which is considered the most useful for deep rolling acne scars?

Edited by C.A

punch excision is typically for icepick scars. the tool looks like a cookie cutter and it basically does and excision-cuts out the icepick scar to make it look better. Not a popular proeedure because sometimes its not as effective comparing to other procedures out there and of course.. the risks is higher than other icepick procedures.

subcision is typically done on rolling scars. Doctors usually use a nokor needle and inserts it below the rolling scar to elevate the scar cutting up the fibrous tissue (which makes the scar tethered down)- its done in a fanning like motion to release the scar from being tethered down and what usually happens is that it creates a pool of blood under the rolling scar, helping it create collagen so your scar will improve also. Subcision is known to be the most effective for rolling scars but there are risks to it also (like any invasive procedures).

in my perspective... i think multi scar revision procedures are most effective. for example... a combination of subcision and a form of laser (erbium or co2) to basically smooth out the surface after subcision. Doctors can do many different combinations between lasers, chemical peels, subcision, excision, grafts, derma fillers, fat grafts/injections etc.

hope it helps. good luck!

punch excision is typically for icepick scars. the tool looks like a cookie cutter and it basically does and excision-cuts out the icepick scar to make it look better. Not a popular proeedure because sometimes its not as effective comparing to other procedures out there and of course.. the risks is higher than other icepick procedures.

subcision is typically done on rolling scars. Doctors usually use a nokor needle and inserts it below the rolling scar to elevate the scar cutting up the fibrous tissue (which makes the scar tethered down)- its done in a fanning like motion to release the scar from being tethered down and what usually happens is that it creates a pool of blood under the rolling scar, helping it create collagen so your scar will improve also. Subcision is known to be the most effective for rolling scars but there are risks to it also (like any invasive procedures).

in my perspective... i think multi scar revision procedures are most effective. for example... a combination of subcision and a form of laser (erbium or co2) to basically smooth out the surface after subcision. Doctors can do many different combinations between lasers, chemical peels, subcision, excision, grafts, derma fillers, fat grafts/injections etc.

im amazed the above poster gave such a detailed response. ill instead guide you to the summary of scars and their treatment options page. you can make your own mind up. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FAQ-SUMMA...S-TR-t5996.html

Edited by sydney_fellow

I got collagen injections about 8 years back , and they did a pretty damn good job and the results last well over a few years (although i was told only to expect 6-8 months).

How has the injection procedure progressed since then?

im amazed the above poster gave such a detailed response. ill instead guide you to the summary of scars and their treatment options page. you can make your own mind up.