Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenMond

URGENT QUESTION - POSSIBLE POISONING

I know this doesn't belong on this forum and it can be deleted after I have an answer but I didn't know who else to ask. I was looking for some olive oil to use and all I could find was a cooking spray. I sprayed it into a measuring cup until I had about a tablespoons worth. It tasted weird and on the back of the can I noticed it said "Extra virgin olive oil - 80%" and "Propellant (Butane, Propane and Isobutane) - 20%.

I've been burping and it reminds me of deodorant or something. I'm very worried. Am I safe? I mean if it's meant to used for cooking it should be safe right?

Edited by Wynne
added in 'resolved' to subtitle

I know this doesn't belong on this forum and it can be deleted after I have an answer but I didn't know who else to ask. I was looking for some olive oil to use and all I could find was a cooking spray. I sprayed it into a measuring cup until I had about a tablespoons worth. It tasted weird and on the back of the can I noticed it said "Extra virgin olive oil - 80%" and "Propellant (Butane, Propane and Isobutane) - 20%.

I've been burping and it reminds me of deodorant or something. I'm very worried. Am I safe? I mean if it's meant to used for cooking it should be safe right?

I'm not sure...look up the effects of Butane, propane and isobutane ingestion. I do know that most or all of that stuff is burnt off/evaporates when it is used in cooking, so usually it is not eaten.

That's a very creative way of using cooking oil. I don't think it's poisoned you, since it's just making you burp. You could try googling the brand with "poisoning" and see if anything comes up. Or call the manufacturer, if the number's listed on the can. But I wouldn't get too alarmed about it.

I think I read somewhere that these things evaporate once they're sprayed out of the can, you should be alright.

I don't know what you mean by it tasting weird, but personally I found it difficult to use olive oil when I was oil-pulling. I can eat it with salad, but just the oil itself makes me want to hurl.

LOL. Sorry, I just can't help it. But you will be totally fine, the other ingredients are just propellant... they evaporate as soon as they do their job of pushing/spraying the oil out of the can. What probably happened? The oil had a lot of air incorporated in it because of the way it was dispensed... hence you swallowed a lot of air without realizing it. Hence the burping. You should be totally fine :P

If your grocery store has cooking spray, then its definitely well-stocked enough to carry olive oil. Gluck!

Edited by greentiger87

Well I'm not dead so far. Thanks for all the responses. I haven't noticed any symptoms of poisoning (stomach ache, headache, dizziness) so it seems okay. If you see me online some other time you know I survived.

Glad to hear it...just cuz you didn't die, though, don't do it again-lol! Obviously not ALL of the propellant instantly evaporates since it tasted like deodorant and it's only for "cooking use". Just go on out and splurge a little on a real bottle of olive oil!

Edited by ryudoadema

The spray on crap is actually laughably expensive compared to a real bottle of olive oil. And usually the ones that say "with olive oil" have olive oil as the last ingredient after soybean and canola :doubt: