Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heeeeey...i'm new here, and have a question! :)

I've been using Retin-A gel (o.o1%) for just over a week now, and while my skin seems to be improving, i haven't had ANY peeling, dryness, and hardly any redness... The gel stings when i apply it, but should i peel?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but having read other posts on this treatment, my side effects seem to be minimal...

Also, what are your experiences of Topical Tretinoin?

thanks for reading!

I also had very few side effects when I started with the 0.01% gel. Although I DID get the initial breakout so it had to be doing something. After a few months I switched to 0.025% and got more peeling and more results. I have heard that peeling is a good sign that the Retin A is working. But if you feel your skin is improving than give it a few more weeks. I have been on Retin A for 5 months and it was constant breaking out for the first 4 months! Then it finally started slowing down. I am not 100% clear but I break out less than I used to and the pimples show up and heal MUCH more quickly, so it has been worth it for me.

Ahhhh, ok. My Acne is mild (if you could even CALL it acne...) just a few spots...But i switched to Retin A from Eyrthromycin, to avoid resistance.... :)

Thanks for your reply!

I have moderate acne and I've now been on Retin-A gel for 4 weeks. I noticed 3 or 4 days after a began using it that my skin seemed to glow and my flakiness had pretty much gone away. 3 weeks in my usually dry skin became extremely oily on and around my nose. I'm not certain that it's the Retin-A causing the oiliness, but I think that it is because it's the only part of my treatment that's applied exclusively to my face.

I noticed about a week after using it I got more spots than usual around my jawline but I got rid of them very quickly and easily. Right now I don't feel any new ones developing but I doubt it's the end of my acne troubles.

I haven't experienced dryness, redness or peeling. It stings a little bit when I apply it but that's it :)

I have moderate acne and I've now been on Retin-A gel for 4 weeks. I noticed 3 or 4 days after a began using it that my skin seemed to glow and my flakiness had pretty much gone away. 3 weeks in my usually dry skin became extremely oily on and around my nose. I'm not certain that it's the Retin-A causing the oiliness, but I think that it is because it's the only part of my treatment that's applied exclusively to my face.

I noticed about a week after using it I got more spots than usual around my jawline but I got rid of them very quickly and easily. Right now I don't feel any new ones developing but I doubt it's the end of my acne troubles.

I haven't experienced dryness, redness or peeling. It stings a little bit when I apply it but that's it :)

Just out of interest, what strength gel are you using?

Mine is 0.04%

Mine is 0.04%

Really? I didn't think you could get that strength....I'm just worried that my skin just won't get better on this stuff.....how long was it before your skin started to improve....? I know you've talked about oiliness, and a 'glow', but with this stuff my skin seems to change pretty rapidly, and i've only been on it about 2 weeks....

Mine is 0.04%

Really? I didn't think you could get that strength....I'm just worried that my skin just won't get better on this stuff.....how long was it before your skin started to improve....? I know you've talked about oiliness, and a 'glow', but with this stuff my skin seems to change pretty rapidly, and i've only been on it about 2 weeks....

After about a week, I had no flakiness and a more even tone. At 2 weeks I looked pretty much the same as I did after 1 week. It's been a month now and I've had less acne than I normally would. Right now all of the blemishes on my face are in the healing stage, none of them are becoming more inflamed and at the moment I don't see or feel new ones forming. Depending on the person and the concentration being used, it could take a couple weeks or a couple months to see results. The general improvement in my skin happened really fast but if this Retin-A is going to get me clear of acne, I think it will take a few more months.

What kind of change are you seeing?

Edited by Weird Fish

Mine is 0.04%

After about a week, I had no flakiness and a more even tone. At 2 weeks I looked pretty much the same as I did after 1 week. It's been a month now and I've had less acne than I normally would. Right now all of the blemishes on my face are in the healing stage, none of them are becoming more inflamed and at the moment I don't see or feel new ones forming. Depending on the person and the concentration being used, it could take a couple weeks or a couple months to see results. The general improvement in my skin happened really fast but if this Retin-A is going to get me clear of acne, I think it will take a few more months.

Well, before i used it my skin was relatively good... Now, a few weeks in, im getting spots where i didn't usually (this could be from giving up topical erythromycin...) But the small ones don't stay long...I'm getting a few large ones on my chin (this is where i get most of my spots), and my skin is just generally more oily/greasy... Hopefully it will clear in a few weeks though....

Well, before i used it my skin was relatively good... Now, a few weeks in, im getting spots where i didn't usually (this could be from giving up topical erythromycin...) But the small ones don't stay long...I'm getting a few large ones on my chin (this is where i get most of my spots), and my skin is just generally more oily/greasy... Hopefully it will clear in a few weeks though....

That's pretty similar to what I'm experiencing, with the oiliness. When something new comes up it's usually gone in 2-4 days. And I'm getting a ton of large, non-inflamed things on my jawline (whiteheads?). They've always been there, they've just been too far below the surface for me to do anything about. Now they're coming up and I've been getting rid of them, I think they are going to stop soon. Do you think you might be going through a 'purging' stage?

Edited by Weird Fish

That's pretty similar to what I'm experiencing, with the oiliness. When something new comes up it's usually gone in 2-4 days. And I'm getting a ton of large, non-inflamed things on my jawline (whiteheads?). They've always been there, they've just been too far below the surface for me to do anything about. Now they're coming up and I've been getting rid of them, I think they are going to stop soon. Do you think you might be going through a 'purging' stage?

That's exactly what i think! (and hope!) I'm just worried that, my skin won't get better on this stuff...I've red so much hype on it you see...

When you apply the gel, does it create a kind of 'film' on your skin? Or i am i just not rubbing it in as much as i should be?

That's exactly what i think! (and hope!) I'm just worried that, my skin won't get better on this stuff...I've red so much hype on it you see...

When you apply the gel, does it create a kind of 'film' on your skin? Or i am i just not rubbing it in as much as i should be?

Yeah, when I apply mine my skin feels a little bit sticky, but also more dry? I don't think you need to rub it really vigorously, it's harder to cover your whole face if you do that too.

My face doesn't peel much (just a minor amount around my mouth), but when I'm actually applying the gel it starts to rub off like peeling skin. Of course I rub the hell out of it, so maybe I'm rubbing too much and you've got it just right. It's hard to know when to stop since it dries so fast, and because I used the cream for a few months before switching to the gel. I haven't been super-impressed with either formula, to tell you the truth. My skin looks like hell right now. :think:

ive been using .04 retin-a too. mines retin-a micro though, idk if yours is the same. i had some peeling the first week or 2, but after that my skin got pretty oily. i think its the retin-a thats causing it to be more oily. its been 8 weeks now and i think im finally starting to see results, but i might switch to .1 to maybe see less oilyness and more peeling, becuase that might mean more results