Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a woe is me post. I am into week 4 of accutane and my face is showing no signs of stopping purging. As I mainly suffer from non inflammatory acne, my face is purging itself of loads of blocked pores and blackheads. My skin literally feels like sandpaper. I have no idea what will happen to these blocked pores and am worried that they will stay there for ages. Do they fall out? I literally have gunk poking out of my pores. My forehead has been through hell. It started clearing up on Wednesday only to start breaking out again today. I have a HUGE swollen spot on the right side of it that is an angry red and really hurts. I look so rubbish. I have my end of term staff night out next Saturday and I am terrified my skin will be bad and that I won’t enjoy my night as a result. I know the accutane is working as my skin is purging, but this has been going on for 2 weeks now and shows no sign of stopping. I know the first month is the worst, but I have a horrible feeling I will be someone whose skin will purge for months. I can cope with the dry lips and skin, what I am struggling with is the constant breakouts and gunky pores which just look and feel dreadful. It is affecting my social life and I will probably just hide away all weekend as I am too embarrassed to go out. I know it’s pathetic but I can’t help the way I feel . Sorry to moan, I guess I just have to hope that things will improve sooner rather than later……

It gets worst before it gets better, its cleaning you out, i heard takes 3-5 months for most people to see improvements, hang in there, i'm in the same boat as you

Keep your head up! I'm less than two weeks in to my therapy w/ amnesteem and am breaking out. I just keep telling myself that a few months of this is worth a lifetime of better skin (and better self-esteem). Try finding something to keep you busy and keep your mind off of things for a bit that make you happy :) I like to read or even play some video games on the wii!

Accutane is a very slow working drug. Definitely keep your chin up. It'll get better. The roughness will go away and the purging will stop.