Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Del!

Accutane in the UK

HI!

Can anyone in the UK tell me what the process is over here?

I read about this i-pledge business and IM guessing thats in the US.

I have a private derm apt in 2 weeks and need to know my stuff.

I want to know how long it takes to start...blood tests etc

and also if anyone in the UK had a hard time getting it off the derm.

Thanks in advance - no accutane haters please!!!

I'm not sure if it's any different for girls, but I basically went to the derm, discussed roaccutane for about 5 minutes, got my blood taken, then a week later I went back and picked up my pills.

Just curious but I remember you were on Dan's regimen. Didn't it work out for you?

On week four skin is awful and I know it takes time but I need help now!! Ive got scarring and its getting worse so a trip to the derm is in order!

I'm not sure if it's any different for girls, but I basically went to the derm, discussed roaccutane for about 5 minutes, got my blood taken, then a week later I went back and picked up my pills.

how bad was your acne? did u ask for it or was it recommended? and....how did it work out for you?

how bad was your acne? did u ask for it or was it recommended? and....how did it work out for you?

Well I took an anti-biotic for 3 months before going on accutane, so my breakouts were pretty much under-control. I'd say I had mild/moderate acne but lots of redmarks left over from previous acne before starting.

The dermatologist suggested it. I was expecting something less powerful, but he said it was my best bet.

It has worked really well for stopping breakouts. I haven't had so much a whitehead in 2 months. It didn't do much for my redmarks, but this is normal. They fade after your course.

Side-effects were quite minimal for me. I got dry hair, relativity dry skin on my face and arms and the usual red face.

Well I took an anti-biotic for 3 months before going on accutane, so my breakouts were pretty much under-control. I'd say I had mild/moderate acne but lots of redmarks left over from previous acne before starting.

The dermatologist suggested it. I was expecting something less powerful, but he said it was my best bet.

It has worked really well for stopping breakouts. I haven't had so much a whitehead in 2 months. It didn't do much for my redmarks, but this is normal. They fade after your course.

Side-effects were quite minimal for me. I got dry hair, relativity dry skin on my face and arms and the usual red face.

Thats really great!!! What was your dosage?

I'm not female but its pretty straightforward and fast from what I remember when I was on it some years ago. My NHS dermatologist did'nt even do blood tests on his male patients, though I think females have to along with regular pregnancy tests. I saw my dermatologist evey month I was on it, I think I was on it for 3 months.

One thing to consider is thats its a very expensive drug so if your not getting it on the NHS then you will have to pay for it, (unless you have private medical insurance). I acually saw my dermatologist privately first, who agreed to see me on the NHS to give me an NHS prescription.

I'm not female but its pretty straightforward and fast from what I remember when I was on it some years ago. My NHS dermatologist did'nt even do blood tests on his male patients, though I think females have to along with regular pregnancy tests. I saw my dermatologist evey month I was on it, I think I was on it for 3 months.

One thing to consider is thats its a very expensive drug so if your not getting it on the NHS then you will have to pay for it, (unless you have private medical insurance). I acually saw my dermatologist privately first, who agreed to see me on the NHS to give me an NHS prescription.

I am going private because the wiat is so long on NHS but my mother will help me financially as she knows how much my life is being affected. My initial consultation is £130 ....do you know how much the drug costs?

Not certain but I seem to remember about £100 per month was mentioned. So definitely worth trying to get an NHS prescription if you can.

Not certain but I seem to remember about £100 per month was mentioned. So definitely worth trying to get an NHS prescription if you can.

Without trying to sound rich or snotty (coz I am neither! lol!) in total with bloods and derm appts and scripts it would prob add up to bout £1500? ive spent bout times that amount allready so I am willing to fork it out if I can get it!!

Did you ask for it or were you offered? where abouts are you from?

Probably a bit less than that, your looking at about £1000 if you were on it for 3 - 4 months I would think, though not sure what they would charge for blood and pregnancy tests.

I'm from Hampshire it was a private hospital in Winchester. In my experience dermatologists seem very willing to prescribe roaccutane, I was offered it several times for my moderate acne before I agreed to it. The dermatologist worked for the NHS and had a part time private clinic - this might be common so they might be willing to get you an NHS prescription, I would definitely ask for it :D

You've probably seem a lot of negative comments about the side effects etc of roaccutane. Not trying to put you off taking it, because I total understand how acne can effect your life, but I would just say be aware of them before you start. Dan has a good overview of the drug here http://www.acne.org/accutane.html Anyway, I hope it works for you

Probably a bit less than that, your looking at about £1000 if you were on it for 3 - 4 months I would think, though not sure what they would charge for blood and pregnancy tests.

I'm from Hampshire it was a private hospital in Winchester. In my experience dermatologists seem very willing to prescribe roaccutane, I was offered it several times for my moderate acne before I agreed to it. The dermatologist worked for the NHS and had a part time private clinic - this might be common so they might be willing to get you an NHS prescription, I would definitely ask for it :D

You've probably seem a lot of negative comments about the side effects etc of roaccutane. Not trying to put you off taking it, because I total understand how acne can effect your life, but I would just say be aware of them before you start. Dan has a good overview of the drug here http://www.acne.org/accutane.html Anyway, I hope it works for you

Ye Ive read alot of logs and probably about every internet site that there is!! How did you find it? any negative side effects?

The key side effect for me was depression, which for me was on the high end of moderate depression. It started the month my skin cleared up completely, so I should have be euphoric but instead I felt far worse than when I had acne. I dont think I have ever fully recovered in that sense, I still get bouts of depression for no reason, I'm convinced it was because of the roaccutane.

It did'nt work in the long term either - after about six months of clear skin my skin began to deteriorate gradually year or year.

Sorry I'm sounding so negative - obviously these are just my own experiences and lots of other people have great success with the drug. And acne itself can cause bad depression as well, so I'm not saying you should'nt take it. I would just do some research into it so you can make a decision. Let is know how it goes!

Hey, I've been on roaccutane for nearly 2 months now in the UK. I feel you are wasting your money on private dermatology! I was on a few different antibiotics prescribed by my GP first then he reffered me onto my dermatologist which only took a few weeks. In the first meeting he asked me the usual questions and checked me over. He then sent me for blood tests and when he had the results, wrote to me saying my prescription was ready to pick up.

I'm now on 60mg a day after starting on 30mg for the first month. I get 6 week prescriptions from my derm so £7.20 every 6 weeks is cheap as chips! I probably spent more than that in Boots on various useless products every month pre-roaccutane. I have to have another blood test at each 6 week review.

Side effects wise I've been OK, have the usual dry skin and I've had some minor generalised hairloss but it seems to have calmed down slightly now. Worst problem has been my lips, they've been splitting open and bleeding they've been that dry. It is just about managable with vaseline. My mood has been perfectly fine, no change at all. Like everyone on here says, everyone reacts differently to the tablets but there seems to be great support on this forum for any problems you may have.

You will only know when you try it, good luck!

Hey, I've been on roaccutane for nearly 2 months now in the UK. I feel you are wasting your money on private dermatology! I was on a few different antibiotics prescribed by my GP first then he reffered me onto my dermatologist which only took a few weeks. In the first meeting he asked me the usual questions and checked me over. He then sent me for blood tests and when he had the results, wrote to me saying my prescription was ready to pick up.

I'm now on 60mg a day after starting on 30mg for the first month. I get 6 week prescriptions from my derm so £7.20 every 6 weeks is cheap as chips! I probably spent more than that in Boots on various useless products every month pre-roaccutane. I have to have another blood test at each 6 week review.

Side effects wise I've been OK, have the usual dry skin and I've had some minor generalised hairloss but it seems to have calmed down slightly now. Worst problem has been my lips, they've been splitting open and bleeding they've been that dry. It is just about managable with vaseline. My mood has been perfectly fine, no change at all. Like everyone on here says, everyone reacts differently to the tablets but there seems to be great support on this forum for any problems you may have.

The wait here is a minimum of 4 months to see a derm so I have to go private, my mothe has offered to pay so I guess I am really lucky.

Glad things are going well for you, where abouts in the UK are you from?

The wait here is a minimum of 4 months to see a derm so I have to go private, my mothe has offered to pay so I guess I am really lucky.

Glad things are going well for you, where abouts in the UK are you from?

I'm in Manchester, been going to Salford Royal which has the UK's largest dermatology department so quite lucky! It was less than a month from referral to appointment although I think the waiting time has gone up recently.

Dang it... Still no replies from females. From what everyones said though - I'm guessing it won't be as tough to get it as in the US :D

Dang it... Still no replies from females. From what everyones said though - I'm guessing it won't be as tough to get it as in the US :D

I know!! I dont think there is the whole i pledge business but i want to know about blood tests and pregnancy tests etc......seems a bit shite to have to wait a month before starting it!!

Edited by DEL XX