Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angela1985

My Accutane Adventure

Day 102

Happy Thanksgiving to all those that are celebrating it this weekend!!

Acne: no new actives in quite a while. redness still there..dont think that will clear up until after im off the drug though.

did you know your a raging babesaraus rex? a hot piece of pie? hmmm it wasn't news to me, good to read in vintages log that everyone is noticing your improvement... namely your boyfriend.. my heart jumped up and out a little when i read that. oh how good that would have felt!

happy thanksgiving

j x

Edited by jennyband

jennyband, onelittleone, faithinhim: thanks for your comments!!

Day 109--craziness!!!

Last week i went to the derm to review my blood work and all is healthy and well :)

When I had started my course, my derm and I discussed what I should be expecting in regards to the accutane itself as well as post treatments.. she had mentioned that during my last month and a half she would prescribe me a topical ointment for redness and mild scarring.. being that this was back in may/june I had totally forgotten about this plan. Needless to say I was pretty excited to find out that it was finally time for my topical Vitamin A!! My derm said that my skin is looking fantastic and that once i'm off accutane it would continue to improve (this news didnt shock me since i've learned soooo much from everyone's log on here that i feel like an accutane pro!). The cream is called Retisol-A 0.01%. Being that it's a topical Vitamin A she said that it would dry me out..she recommended that I use it every other night after my usual cleansing routine for a couple of weeks and then I can bump up to every night.

Has anyone else been prescribed topicals during Accutane?

Glad to hear that your bloodwork was good. That's always a relief...

I haven't heard much about people being put on topicals while on Accutane. Definitely follow your Derm's instructions to a T to be sure you don't get too dry. Please keep us posted! :)

I know I am a little late but Congratulations on the new job. That must be very exciting :D

Glad to hear that things are going so well. Happy Hundreds!

My derm hasn't prescribed me anything, not even moisturizer, she said we'll take care or marks after the treatment, it seems she trusts accutane so much she thinks it doesn't matter what you use or something, i guess

Day 115

It's crazy how much faster time is flying now that I'm working. During the summer I didn't really have much to do, and so most of my time was spent examining my skin in the mirror and lurking on this site for hours on end. Although I do miss reading everyone's logs on a regular basis as well as keeping up with my own, I have to admit it's a lot nicer not having to stress too much over my skin. I have to admit, I do still think about it --constantly--but, there's a lot less worrying going on.

My PIH is sloooowly fading, but fading nonetheless. Like I've said before, I'm pretty sure that my skin wont be back to normal until after I've completed my course and I'm able to get my treatments done. The topical Vitamin A has been alright so far. I've only been using it ever other night because it really dries me out - especially my chin area.. after I apply makeup some mornings it looks like I have white stubble on my chin because of how flaky I am --lovely, eh?

Sometimes I wait until the 3rd night to apply the cream (all depending on how I'm reacting).

My skin is changing so much with the weather. It's getting colder and colder here and I notice that my skin is getting drier and drier. Actually, that reminds me.. I wanted to keep a humidifier in my room to help hydrate my skin while I sleep.. It's difficult enough being surrounded by cold pre-wintery air, but the topical is even worse.

I have a red rash on my hands that comes and goes every couple of days. It starts at the knuckle of my forefinger and makes an L-shape right into the knuckle of my thumb. It's spotted red and certain creams really irritate it. I remember reading about people developing eczema on accutane, and I'm thinking that this might be a mild form. Unfortunately it seems to behave when I go to see my derm, so I keep forgetting to ask for a cream for it.

Other than that, nothing else to report

Thanks for continuing to read!!

Ang

Edited by Angela1985

I had that issue with topical vitamin A's (I'm not on accutane yet) and getting a very soft "face brush" or whatever you called it helped a lot to get the flakies off. I found if I brushed REALLY LIGHTLY every night it kept the flakies at bay because they never accumulated enough to make actual flakes (if that makes sense). I'd just be really careful since you're on accutane so I'm sure your skin is WAY WAY WAY more sensitive than mine was. I just wanted to share that :) They have ones with super super soft bristles, it's almost like a makeup brush...

Good luck and congrats!

I use a humidifier at night and it's really helped my dry sinuses. I have that same hand rash. It comes in waves. One day it will be so red and irritated that it hurts to wash my hands. The next day it could be almost normal looking! Frustrating! I use Cetaphil and it helps. Really hope things are going well for you, Ang! :)

Thanks for your comments ladies - I apologize for taking a while to respond!

Day 129

I have been thinking about this site a lot lately, and unfortunately haven't come on to celebrate the start of my 5TH MONTH

As I've mentioned in my most recent posts, the days are just fllyyyying on by lately.

TIP: for those starting accutane, or about to take accutane, keep yourself preoccupied with non-acne related activities as much as possible..ie., try to avoid empty days where there's the temptation to stare at yourself in the mirror and pop/poke/squeeze your face.

Tamara, my hand rash also seems to come and go in waves.. right now it's doing alright and I owe that to jojoba oil - I've been massaging it in every night for the past 3 nights and my skin seems to love it! Before then it looked like i had really bad eczema and it was really really painful :(

I've been continuing with applying the topical vitamin A every other night since I filled my prescription..I'm not sure it's actually doing anything or not though.

The texture of my skin seems to change throughout the day. Sometimes it looks smooth, and other times my shallow scarring seems to be more pronounced.

I have to get my bloodwork done this morning and will hopefully pay a visit to my derm early next week.. we'll see what she has to say - I'll keep you all posted!

hey angela

i've been experiencing what you mentioned; those really painful rashes on the top of my hands. when i apply certain lotions especially those with anitbacterial stuff it makes my rashes 10x more red and painful and bumpy. i even applied aquaphor which really didn't do much. my derm prescribed me some fluocinonide cream (i believe thats what its called) and its AAAAMMMAAAAZing. i apply it on top of my hands twice a day (maybe even once at night mostly) and its like i never had anything. i was surprised to have the rashes since im a olive-tone skin girl but hey this mild eczema still wanted to join my skin. at first when i applied the F. lotion it stinged even worse and my skin look even more red and then i thought "great its not working" but when i woke up the next morning walaaa! nothing was there:]. i continue to use it even if there are not rashes and i would really recommend you give it a try also to all of those who have these type of rashes....they're horrible.

* key tip: avoid applying soap (ANY TYPE of soap) on the top of you hands just wash you palms and fingers and never and i do mean NEVER apply any hand sanitzer or antibacterial lotion on top of your hands.

BTW angela congrats on the great looking clear skin!

Hi Ang!

Congrats on starting your 5th month! :D

That is so weird that the rash comes and goes in waves for us. At least we're not alone I guess!

Good luck on the bloodwork! :)

@Angela1985

Hi Angela!

Well I am on day 78 as of today. My doctor also mentioned some Vitamin - A cream topic when done with accutane for improvement of skin texture and mild scaring. I havn't really asked anymore about this, he said something about this back in August, and since I am focusing on becoming completely acne free it would be stupid to focus on that aswell. Coul you tell a little more in detail about this? Since I might start doing it in a couple of months.

Thanks and good luck!

Hi theamericanswede-- thanks for following my log and writing! I was prescribed topical Vitamin A (Retisol-A 0.01%) about a month ago and have been applying it on areas with PIH/shallow scarring at nighttime. My derm said to monitor the dryness of my skin and gauge when i should apply the topical. Since it's vitamin a, it's basically acting the same as accutane but ontop of my skin as opposed to underneith. there have been mornings where my face is really really flaky so i'll use a light exfoliant followed by a rich moisturizer...on days like these i tend to skip the vitamin a topical at night just to give my face a break.

hope this helps :)

Day 137

I saw my derm a couple of days ago and she was pleased with my progression as well as my blood work. For those of you that have been following my log from the beginning, you'll know that i started on July 1st and was expecting to finish my course on December 1st. I started my course on 40mg and after 2 weeks i was bumped up to 60mg (alternating days between 40mg and 80mg). Having said that, my derm decided that since i hadnt been on 60mg for the entirety of my course she was going to extend my course by 2 weeks...that way my cumulative dosage would exceed 1mg/kg and my odds of relapsing would decrease dramatically (knock on wood). I'm completely comfortable with staying on until about Dec 15th and will meet with her to review one more round of bloods at that time.

I cant wait to be done and hopefully never have to deal with this shit again...

Thanks for continuing to read!! :)

Edited by Angela1985

Hi, Angela!

I wanted to ask you how you would describe the changes that you have seen your skin go through in these 137 days that you've been on Accutane? Did you experience the Initial Breakout? I am thinking of going on Accutane... I have had a severe meltdown this summer and even since have been experiencing breakouts... I know its only been 3 months that I've been battling acne, but its totally ruined my life in these almost 3 months... So if you could, give me your advice on starting accutane.. I am thinking of a low does for maybe 3 months just to get myself back into shape and get my life back

yayyy :D I'm glad everything's good with you, you'll take the pill more days than me, but I started on June 6 and I'm on 40mg a day, so you'll do 6 months and a half right?

I have the same problem, no new actives but redness, is it because of the drug? I didn't know that hahah

Hi Katushkinz,

Thanks for your message! I started noticing changes with my skin by the second week. These changes included dry skin and lips, and more frequent breakouts in my acne prone areas. I, thankfully, never experienced any kind of psychological changes or threats to my internal system while on this drug. Based on the results that I've seen, I would without a doubt tell you to try Accutane (assuming your doctor has prescribed it).

My advice to you:

1. DONT PICK!! I know it's been said time and time again...and that's for a good reason!! I CANNOT stress it enough -- don't touch your skin, dont squeeze, pick, rub, or prick your skin at any time, ESPECIALLY while on Accutane. Your skin will become very delicate and it simply cannot handle that kind of abuse. I can guarantee you'll be left with scarring or PIH if you dont follow this advice.
  2. Drink lots of water -- Accutane will dry you out everywhere and it's important to keep your skin as well as your organs properly hydrated during this process.
  3. Invest in a rich, non-comedogenic moisturizer --you'll need it for your face and body. You'll also need a lip treatment as well.
  4. I know you are extremely frustrated with the state of your skin right now, and you are desperate to get it back to the way it was before (we've all been there). Do your research and give great thought into taking this drug. It's very strong, and all results arent positive ones.

I wish you the best of luck with everything - dont hesitate to ask anymore questions as they come up :)

Hi Vintage!!

I hope all is well with you :) I will be on the drug for 5.5 months, not 6.5.. I'm really nervous to finish, but excited at the same time.. If I relapse I think i'll die :(

Edited by Angela1985

Angela, Thank you so much for your log! I really appreciated it, because I'm a late-starter when it comes to acne, too. Your log is so sweet and thoughtful.

I'm starting Accutane for the first time next month. I hope you're doing really well, and I assume you are, since you haven't posted about your treatment in a while. Glad you're enjoying life post-Accutane :D :D

Hi everyone!

It has been a really long time since I've written! Thank you to everyone that has read my log and have sent me messages asking about my progress.

I finished my Accutane on December 21, 2010 and so far it's been pretty good (knock on wood). I have gotten two pimples since I've finished the drug and they were really really tiny - nothing like what I used to get. No cysts which is fantastic!

For those of you that have read my log, you'll remember that my derm prescribed me a topical Vitamin A during my last month and a half or so on the drug. Although it dried out my skin slightly, I continued to use it. I should also mention that my derm told me I'll have to use Vitamin A topically for the rest of my life. Brutal, but if that means no more pimples, then I'm up for it! Anyway, I noticed that when I would wear hoop earrings or long earrings they would tarnish on my face...areas on my face were turning greenish black - ew! And the weirdest part is..the jewellery was real. My mom thinks that it might be some reaction with the Vitamin A, and if this is the case that would really suck because that would mean I could never wear long earrings again.

In about, I'd say, the beginning of February, i started cutting down the number of times I applied Vitamin A on my face at night. Now I barely use it at all. We will see how it goes - and i'll keep you all posted. I have yet to see my derm since I finished the Accutane. The receptionist said that until I finish my Vitamin A and require a new prescription, or if I start breaking out again then I dont need to go in.

All this talk about skin, I haven't mentioned some big news - I got engaged!!! Which is fantastic, but now I'm thinking how can i get rid of the shallow scarring before my big day??? We are looking into a september 2012 wedding, so I have a bit of time - especially since I really shouldnt be doing any time of cosmetic treatments until about July of this year...

I'm planning on making an appointment soon just to get her to look at my skin and see how it's progressing and to discuss what my options are for treatments once my skin is ready (although it may be difficult for my derm to gauge what i need if my skin will continue to improve on its own).

Anyway, I will try my best to come back and fill you all in on my skin.

I hope you are all doing well and are finding success in your own treatments!!

Speak soon,

Ang

Hey angela,

Thats good that your finished your accutane course and congrats on getting engaged. For shallow scarring, how shallow is it? It is known that Accutane can actually improve collagen in the skin and can help with the scarring. Also, if your using retin-a or some sort of vitamin a cream then that should help with the scarring. If your scarring doesn't improve within a year or so, than you could probably look into peels. You have quite along time to see your skin progress even more though!

ttyL!

wow girl thats incredible congratulations! i'm so happy for you, and to be done with accutane doesn't it feel fabulous.

lots of skin love and wedding bliss

j x