Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yowasup

Accutane Dangers Finally Coming to Light?

Has anyone else seen the commercials advertising compensation for Accutane-induced IBD? Has anyone been following the many court-cases that Roche has recently lost with regards to Accutane's causal link to IBD? Has anyone been following the criticisms that the EMA has had to deal with these past few months regarding the EMA's cover-up of potential Accutane side-effects? Has anybody stopped to think that maybe the psychological damage caused by acne is nothing compared to the psychological and physiological damage that Accutane causes within the human body? I'm sure all of you know that if you take Accutane while you're pregnant, your baby will most likely be mentally retarded and disfigured. If a drug as powerful as that can do that much damage to a fetus, doesn't it make you wonder what that drug can do to your own brain and the rest of your body?

All of you 14 and 15 year olds out there: take accutane!!! It will make your skin clear up, and you will no longer have those painful zits on your face!!!! Who cares about the risk of getting irritable bowel disorder, losing your hair, developing anxiety or depression, because it WONT HAPPEN TO YOU! Trust me! The scientists over at the big pharma companies are definitely looking out for YOU! They are doing everything that they can to make sure that their drugs are as safe as possible! Profits mean nothing to them! They don't misconstrue the data, and Roche only chose to keep those accutane-studies private because studies these days are meaningless, right?

ACCUTANE IS THE NEW VIOXX BOYS AND GIRLS

Still happens, but it's a low chance to get the bad side effects, but still happens, if everyone that didn't get the side effects post on the internet it would be pilled full of people, you rarely hear about the people that got cured, what would be the point of them being on a acne website

What if all of the people who have suffered from IBD and other related gastro-intestinal disorders/ anxiety/depression/ joint and bone problems as a result of their accutane-treatment posted on this board???? See the thing is many people, after having taken accutane, don't realize that their ailments are the result of accutane. So that argument could go both ways my friend. The only thing we can do is turn to the data. I highly suggest reading Douglas Bremner's book, "Before you take that Pill". Turn to page 43 to read about Accutane and studies with regards to Accutane's causal relationship with suicide and depression. And tell me, bro, how "low" are the chances of getting a bad side effect? Any person who has taken elementary statistics knows that if a drug has twenty potential "serious" side-effects, and if there is only a 1 percent chance of experiencing each serious side-effect, the chances that one person experiences at least one serious side-effect is 20 percent.

Doug Bremner's Book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XSCqADQL8...p;q&f=false

Edited by yowasup
Most people that do get side effects acually do post on websites like these.

correction to steve's post: most people that are AWARE that Accutane caused their health problems post on websites like these.

varible ammounts of hairloss have occurred. in rare cases this hair loss persisted after treament was complete" not sure why some people think they are immune to side effects or something, its like people smoking, it says causes cancer and death

varible ammounts of hairloss have occurred. in rare cases this hair loss persisted after treament was complete" not sure why some people think they are immune to side effects or something, its like people smoking, it says causes cancer and death

The little packet that came with my accutane said it was temporary. Well anyway, if Roche decided to discountinue making Accutane because it was too costly to defend against personal action lawsuits, it goes to show you how evil this drug is.

Edited by csmike

The little packet that came with my accutane said it was temporary. Well anyway, if Roche decided to discountinue making Accutane because it was too costly to defend against personal action lawsuits, it goes to show you how evil this drug is.

from my understanding both accutane and biotin are stored in the liver. the body needs biotin to maintain a healthy amount of hair and accutane can deplete this. instead of complaining, becoming upset and deciding to seek revenge, why wouldnt you simply take a biotin supplement. previous accutane users who began to lose hair simply began taking biotin and their hair loss stopped. if you arent maintaining proper health whilst on the drug, its really no fault but your own. im still using roche too, so from my understanding they are still producing it?

Edited by sydney_fellow

They dicountinued because they couldn't fight against the generic companies selling for a lot cheaper. They still sell roche brand here too, new batches and all

Roche discontinued Accutane because they knew that they would be facing thousands of personal injury lawsuits in the coming years. It was interesting that they pulled Accutane off the market just as a new study linking Accutane to IBD was published... ONLY A COINCIDENCE though, right steve? Accutane was by far the most popular form of isotretinion, and the idea that they pulled it from the market because of competition from petty generics like sotret is complete fallacy.

With regards to your statement about people thinking that "they are immune" to side-effects, I think you bring up a good point. I feel that dermatologists across the country aren't living up to their duty by fully informing their patients about the dangers of accutane. For instance, my derm. told my mom and I that I would "never have a pimple again after accutane, and I might get only some dry skin and joint pains during my treatment". My mom was pretty keen to listen to the advice of a professional, and I was only 15 at the time, so i wasn't able to effectively weight the risks and benefits of the drug. When you see those moderate-serious side effects on the package, you don't really consider them, and its only natural that you think "it won't happen to me".

But your smoking analogy is completely wrong. Cigarretes are not intended to treat any disease or disorder. Also, Accutane has a much wider range of side-effects than cigarettes so it is more difficult for people to gauge the likelihood that they experience a certain side-effect. With cigs you pretty much know that if you keep smoking, you will get some type of lung problem.

Edited by yowasup

sydney fellow, i've taken biotin supplements... and so have thousands of people who have experienced accutane-related hairloss. Accutane-related hairloss is not as simple as a deficiancy in biotin, and there are many other factors that come into play. I think there is a thread on this message board that explains one dermatologist's take on accutane induced hairloss. Check it out..

Could I sue the makers of Accutane for ruining my life?

you can sue anyone for anything... it's just a matter of whether your case has standing and whether you can actually win. If you can prove that accutane fucked up your life and you weren't fully informed of the potential side-effects you have a good chance... a bunch of guys have recently won millions after proving that accutane caused them to develop IBD. IBD is pretty much the only thing you can sue over right now, because it previously wasn't listed as a possible side-effect.

you can sue anyone for anything... it's just a matter of whether your case has standing and whether you can actually win. If you can prove that accutane fucked up your life and you weren't fully informed of the potential side-effects you have a good chance... a bunch of guys have recently won millions after proving that accutane caused them to develop IBD. IBD is pretty much the only thing you can sue over right now, because it previously wasn't listed as a possible side-effect.

im on accutane atm and havent experienced hair loss - luckilly. i think with my already severe scarring, it would be the final nail in my coffin. i dont think you can take roche to court mainly due to the fact that all of the side effects you have mentioned are listed in the paper that comes with the medication. once it is in there, i think they can say well we informed patients about the risks and all that. not like it makes anyone here feel better :(

you might be able to take your derm to court however. they are the ones working out the dose and if they have given you too much (leading to the problems) then you have a definite case. id love to see a derm go to court actually. i wish mine was in jail.

Edited by sydney_fellow

Can I sue acne for ruining my life? Anyway, accutane got rid of my giant cyst all over my face. I will forever be thankful. When I went on accutane, I did sign the Ipledge that listed all the side effects. I wish I took accutane sooner.

Can I sue acne for ruining my life? Anyway, accutane got rid of my giant cyst all over my face. I will forever be thankful. When I went on accutane, I did sign the Ipledge that listed all the side effects. I wish I took accutane sooner.

Ithurtstolook- I don't think yowasup is talking about thoose who the drug was made for Severe Cystic Nodular Acne. I believe he is speaking of thoose who have mild or moderate acne, thoose who derms use as a first line of tx etc...

You must also remember I pledge hasn't always been there, and other countries also don't have the same verbage and documented side effects has the U.S. does.

oli girl, that is the opposite of what I usually hear from people wanting to go on accutane. Most of the complaints are from people who can't find dermatologist that will prescribe them accutane.

yet theres about 5-10 out of 100k people every year diagnosed with ibd, and im sure a tiny % of that is accutane uses. so anyyway, thats like the smallest side effect. and im sure people that got it are just wanting to sue because one time in their life theyve taken accutane, so its "linked" and its like what roche is getting 1000 lawsuits out of the 18million+ users. im not saying it doesnt or cant cause ibd, its just a very tiny %

Roche discontinued Accutane because they knew that they would be facing thousands of personal injury lawsuits in the coming years. It was interesting that they pulled Accutane off the market just as a new study linking Accutane to IBD was published... ONLY A COINCIDENCE though, right steve? Accutane was by far the most popular form of isotretinion, and the idea that they pulled it from the market because of competition from petty generics like sotret is complete fallacy.

With regards to your statement about people thinking that "they are immune" to side-effects, I think you bring up a good point. I feel that dermatologists across the country aren't living up to their duty by fully informing their patients about the dangers of accutane. For instance, my derm. told my mom and I that I would "never have a pimple again after accutane, and I might get only some dry skin and joint pains during my treatment". My mom was pretty keen to listen to the advice of a professional, and I was only 15 at the time, so i wasn't able to effectively weight the risks and benefits of the drug. When you see those moderate-serious side effects on the package, you don't really consider them, and its only natural that you think "it won't happen to me".

But your smoking analogy is completely wrong. Cigarretes are not intended to treat any disease or disorder. Also, Accutane has a much wider range of side-effects than cigarettes so it is more difficult for people to gauge the likelihood that they experience a certain side-effect. With cigs you pretty much know that if you keep smoking, you will get some type of lung problem.

I heard dudes complaining about having problems with their franks. I don't think that side effect is listed either. What's it called? Erectile Disfunction? So you could probably sue for that too.