Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
axtine8

Sharing Faith and Courage: An Accutane Log

That photograph is absolutely PERFECT!! I love the dress, I love her pose, I love the arches in the background and the lighting...wow!! Like jennyband, I also understand how you'd want your own dress. Maybe you should go dress shopping and see if there's anything else out there that you love, and if not at least you know you have something pretty great hanging in your closet - although, that might make things more confusing...which to choose, which to choose? ahhh, I dont know :(

Day 94

Wow, no kidding. People really do seem to vanish once things take a turn for the better. I feel like a terrible friend and supporter! :( I'll check back and update at least once a week, I promise! School has definitely picked up-- I've had infinity things to do and it always feels like I never even have a spare moment to breathe. Things were different when I started the log in the middle of boring, boring summer. I had nothing to do BUT update!

My face is great right now! I'm still getting little pimples mainly around my mouth area. They aren't big cysts but they aren't "normal people zits" either. Ugh, they make my skin so dry and flaky there. I wish they'd just hurry up and leave!

I still have a TON of red marks. I've come to terms with the fact that they're not going away any time soon. But the good news is that I've improved enough that I've upgraded to only using face powder for foundation. I only dab on a little liquid occasionally over the extra-red areas, but the liquid foundation is no longer a staple in my cosmetic bag. :) This thrills me endlessly. Girls-- you understand!

I have been getting CRAZY dry skin and excema though. I can just scratch my arms and dry skin floats off. UGH. My lips aren't crazy dry yet, but sometimes they get really dry at the corners and my lip balm/Aquaphor/lip gloss gets stuck there and it looks sketchy. I've been getting sore-er after exercises, but still no back pain. Aaaannnnnd.... I still sunburn easily. But fall is coming upon us, so that's not a big concern anymore.

Basically, things are good. I expect a lot more improvement in this month. WOw, I can't believe I'm on day 2 of Month 4 already! It's true, guys: Time Flies!

I attached a picture I took last weekend at family get-together at my uncle's cabin in northern Utah.

Keep hanging in there! Things do get better, always. :)

Amy

P.S. I have my own dress. (!!!!!!!) But no pictures until either my bridals and/or the wedding. ;) Hope you all will still be around in November and December to see it.

PICTURE REMOVED 10/11/10

Edited by axtine8

Congrats to month 4 and to almost hitting day 100!

so happy that you are seeing a real improvement in the redness-- It must feel so nice to not that to worry about slathering on foundation in the mornings :) You must be so excited about your new dress! Cant wait to see pictures later!

You look great in your picture - keep up the good work!!

Guest DireStraits

Whoa!

Gorgeous pic. Your skins doing great!

Theres something in your eye oh waits thats just a sparkle :P

Day 97

Wow... I was feeling my face today and I realized that this MAY be the first time in months and months that I don't have any active cysts! Wahoo! Like my last post said: a few small zits and lots of redness, but no cysts!I am kind of stunned.

Angela: Thanks so much-- and YES! It feels amazing! :) Today was also the first day I wore a ponytail in... psh, about 5 months. :dance: It's these little things that make me so happy, and I'll never take them for granted ever again!

DireStraits: Thank you so much! It's nice to know at least some people are still reading my blog, even though I abandoned it for a little bit! I hope it helped at least a little! :)

Day 99

I went home for my end of month 3/beginning of month 4 dermatologist appointment this morning! I got to see my favorite nurse practitioner again, and she is amazed at my progress! She thinks that this coming month will be just as productive as the last month was, so I am super stoked for that! :) She also said that I might have some superficial scarring after all, but she won't even think about scar treatments until at least 6 months after I finish accutane. Honestly, I don't mind too much. I just want the redness to go away. So few people have 'perfect' skin that I would take a few odd marks any day. I just want to stop looking like a darn tomato!!! :lol:

So... I did the whole pregnancy test thing, did the stupid online iPledge test and dropped off my prescription to the pharmacy. I'm going to pick it up, and then I'm taking the bus back around 5 this evening. I've just been chilling at home with my dog, but nobody's home. My parents are at work and my little brother is at school, but hopefully I'll get to see them before I head out! It's been a good, quiet day. I haven't had one of these days in a long time. But soon, it's back to hectic campus life.

I will take some pictures this week, hopefully with a real camera and not my silly, light-diffusing Mac camera.

Take care!

Amy

This is just for anyone who might have had adverse reactions from the use of Accutane. I used this treatment and while it helped clear up my acne, I have heard some really scary things about this treatment: gastrointestinal problems, inflammatory bowl disease, Crohns disease, ulcerative colitis, acute pancreatitis, etc. I went to www.drugrecalls.com which answered a lot of questions I had (there is also info about a ton of other drugs on there as well). Good luck to everyone who might just be starting! Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention

And this strangely ad-sounding post pertains to my log.... how?

I'd say the vast majority of people who go on this drug are made aware of the potential things that could happen to them. Personally, I did a lot of research before I even considered putting Isotretinoin into my body. In the end, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Logs are for sharing experiences and giving support. Please don't post things like this on my log.

And to everyone else, I promise I usually don't freak out like this. Things like this are a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by axtine8

And this strangely ad-sounding post pertains to my log.... how?

I'd say the vast majority of people who go on this drug are made aware of the potential things that could happen to them. Personally, I did a lot of research before I even considered putting Isotretinoin into my body. In the end, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Logs are for sharing experiences and giving support. Please don't post things like this on my log.

And to everyone else, I promise I usually don't freak out like this. Things like this are a pet peeve of mine.

i'm suprised you didn't just delete it! what a load of :bs: posting that on your wall.

in other news sounds like everything is going just super. yay :)

j x

Day 106

Ten days until I reach my cumulative dosage!!!! :dance:

Things are going really well! The redness looks a little better each week-- I think it'll be practically gone by the end of the year. It sounds like it's a long ways away but it'll come in a blink of an eye, I guarantee you.

I have a few circular red marks marks on my forehead and one on my left cheek, but I don't mind them because they're easily covered by makeup. I just haven't reapplied any which is why they're visible in the picture. I also still have a few little pimples (clogged pores?) on my cheeks, forehead and chin but they're not really noticeable, at least after my bout with cystic acne. The best part by far is washing my face and feeling nothing but smoooooth skin. :) I look forward to it every day.

51 days until I (most likely) finish Accutane!

61 days until I am a married woman!!!

PICTURES REMOVED 10/11/10

Edited by axtine8

Day 113

Well, it doesn't seem like there's much of the original crowd left. My little log just feels like it's floating out by itself in space. I removed all the pictures... for some reason, I just got really uneasy having pictures of myself on such a major website. I hope no one minds! I would never give up on this little log, but I don't think it's doing much good in the state that it's in. So I'm going on a hiatus for a while, and will update only if major things happen that could help out a fellow Acne.org-er. :)

Thanks for all your love and support! I wish you all the best and hang in there!

Amy

Hey I realize you said you were going on hiatus but I wanted to tell you that your log gave me a lot of hope. I was SO worried about starting at 60mg but reading about your experience has been helpful. Thank you! I hope you are doing wonderfully!

Day 172

Well, I'm almost done! I finish up treatment on the 26th of this month. Honestly, this was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life andI can't believe that it worked as well as it did--- Accutane saved my life. I can honestly say that I'm in a better place emotionally and I can love myself more than I have in a long, long time.

Recap:

Months 1-3: These were the most difficult months, hands down. The first month showed zero changes in my acne, but a lot of side effects kicked in. I had bloody noses, a really sore back, extremely dry skin (except my face), sneezing attacks, brittle nails and hair, and several others. The only ones that stuck around through treatment were the dry skin and lips (though I still get sore quicker after exercising than I used to. Hopefully that will vanish after treatment). The second month was possibly the worst month of my life. In retrospect, it was the IB I'm pretty sure. It was the lowest I've ever been, skin-wise, and I never EVER want to go back there.

Months 4-6: Things started to perk up once month 3 started but it was only in months four and five that things really started to show a great improvement. This medication is a process, people. Everyone wants a quick fix (and darn it, we deserve one) but this is the best we've got, so my only advice is to just hang in there and stick with it because there's not much else you can do at the beginning. I'm on month six right now, and I still get the occasional zit and the quality of my skin is still shot (very shallow scarring and some PIH) but I can get away with wearing powder and concealer now. Yeah, the quality of my skin is not the prettiest, but at least it's completely smooth when I wash my face and looks pretty normal with makeup (still a necessity, btw). These things are small miracles for me and I always try to stay grateful.

The best part of Accutane, though, was that I felt comfortable, confident and beautiful on my wedding day. :) I don't know how many of you were here when I was still posting weekly, but I got engaged back in August, and I married the love of my life five days ago in Arizona. It was the happiest, most perfect day of my life (to risk sounding terribly cliche, but hey IT'S TRUE!) and I couldn't have done it if I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. I will always look back on that day with nothing but fondness and good memories, and not a thought of acne in sight.

The final verdict: I would recommend Accutane to anyone and everyone who suffers from severe cystic acne. Hands down. As I said before, it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I want other people to experience this too. Yes, not everyone has success but why let other people's bad opinions bar you from a potentially wonderful, life-changing process?

If anyone has any questions or would like to talk about my experiences on treatment, I would be glad to help. Just reply to this thread or shoot me a PM and we can chat. :)

I wish you all the best of luck!

Amy

PICS:

* Me before a football game last month. I'm just wearing powder and a little bit of liquid foundation over the red marks (which are still pretty bad).

* I had to throw a wedding picture in, because I promised some other people I would. :)

post-123185-1291910989_thumb.jpg

Edited by axtine8

Aww amy im so happy for you and glad to see that you posted after 60 days! haha

your face looks really clear and that wedding picture is beautiful! hope you are enjoying the married life!

take care

ann

245 days after starting accutane...

After receiving a few PMs from current Accutaners asking me about my experience on Accutane, I decided that I should do a post-accutane follow up log entry. I still feel really badly about abandoning my log when I was half way through Accutane. It wasn’t so much that I cleared up (because I didn’t get 100% clear until about a month and a half ago, at the very end of my treatment), but I became a working, full-time student who was planning her wedding. When I started my log last summer, I had endless free time because my only obligation was a minor part time job. No excuses, I know. I should have stuck around, but I am here now. If anyone wants to ask particular questions about my experience… or anything really, I am here to talk. 2010 was not a very happy year for me. I went from January to August absolutely hating the way that I looked, and this mania reached its peak during the summer (May to August). In retrospect, it was one of the worst times in my life, because I had nothing to distract me from all the terrible things that were going on. After September, things began to look up. That’s when I started seeing the first major improvements in my skin, but I was also planning my wedding and getting back into the general busy swing of things. It was easier to distract myself, so time flew by a lot faster. I didn’t get closure until December when I got married and finished the semester. Jack and I went on our honeymoon during winter break, and we started the spring semester when we got back. Life hasn’t quit since then, and it has become easier and easier for me to forget where I was for most of last year.

I can’t do that. Even though I don’t like to remember a lot of 2010, I need to because there are still people out there who are suffering through the same thing that I did. It wouldn’t be right for me just to hightail it out of there and not offer my assistance and support. It would be the easy thing to do, but definitely not the right thing.

I still wouldn’t take back my Accutane course for the entire world. Some people said it was a risk (my sister texts me whenever she sees that Accutane lawsuit commercial on TV, and my husband worries because of some things he has heard about after-effects), but at the end of the day it was one of the best decisions I ever made. If I let that fear keep me back, there is a very good chance I would still be suffering from severe cystic acne. I couldn’t have gone on much longer like that, so Accutane was a major blessing.

My skin is 100% clear right now, and it has been since early January. I still have some minor PIH and I have some minor scarring (see pictures below), but this is the happiest I have ever been with my skin. I have never been this clear—not since I was in elementary school. No, that is not an exaggeration. I can honestly say that I have always had some form of acne on my face every day since I started middle school! This is big for me, and this is why I want you to know that Accutane WORKS. If it can work for me, it can work for anyone.

I am going to call my derm’s office on Tuesday (closed Monday for President’s Day, I think) and see if they can scan my original photo and email it to me so I can post it. I deleted all my other pictures because Jack and I kind of got paranoid about having our faces on the Internet. But at the end of the day, giving hope is more important than worrying about privacy.

Just post here if you have any questions, or feel free to PM me.

Take care. I love you all, and keep your heads up and stay strong.

Amy

PICS****

I started a flickr account just for this!

I dyed my hair brown about a month ago. New hair for new skin, I guess. I will see if I can dig up some old photos... These ones are just showing the results of Accutane.

EDIT 3/3/11: The links got messed up when I was fooling around with my flickr account. Here they are again:

Flickr photostream

Edited by axtine8