Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
79BirdofPrey

When you say "your skin will get used to BP," what does it mean?

So my skin is very dry and flakey as of late, I'm two weeks into the Regimen. No amount of moisturizer can keep it from peeling (maybe I'll get some jojoba oil soon). I was wondering if after a while the skin stops getting crazy dry from the BP, if that's what you mean by "getting used to BP".

Another question, after I get clear do I have to keep doing the Regimen at the same frequency or can I drop to a "maintenance" Regimen? I have mild acne and typically don't have dry skin (BP plus hard water at home is drying it up kinda bad).

One last question. I couldn't get the BP to spread evenly when using such small amounts. At two weeks in I'm using about 3/4 the full amount of BP to allow it to cover all the areas of my face. Good or bad?

Edited by 79BirdofPrey

So my skin is very dry and flakey as of late, I'm two weeks into the Regimen. No amount of moisturizer can keep it from peeling (maybe I'll get some jojoba oil soon). I was wondering if after a while the skin stops getting crazy dry from the BP, if that's what you mean by "getting used to BP".

Another question, after I get clear do I have to keep doing the Regimen at the same frequency or can I drop to a "maintenance" Regimen? I have mild acne and typically don't have dry skin (BP plus hard water at home is drying it up kinda bad).

One last question. I couldn't get the BP to spread evenly when using such small amounts. At two weeks in I'm using about 3/4 the full amount of BP to allow it to cover all the areas of my face. Good or bad?

Getting used to the BP means your skin is becoming used to being slathered with BP all the time and won't be as dry or red as when you first started the regimen. I would definitely use jojoba oil if you have very dry skin, it helps a lot.

I know a lot of people who have stopped the regimen or cut down on product after getting clear, but in my opinion if you want to stay clear, you have to keep your face regulated. The reason your face cleared was from using the regimen, and taking the regimen away is taking away the thing that cleared and is keeping your skin clear. I'm not really sure if cutting down on the amount of product you use would hurt, I've never cut down on the amount of BP, lotion, or jojoba oil I've used in the 4 years I've been on the regimen. But I do know that skipping a night here and there or a morning here and there will make me breakout with a pimple or two.

I think the only reason Dan recommends to start slow with BP is to cut down on the amount of redness and dryness you will have from it. If you're using more than you should, you probably just might be redder or dryer than you should be, but with time it'll go away just like a person who is weaning onto BP slower.

Getting used to the BP means your skin is becoming used to being slathered with BP all the time and won't be as dry or red as when you first started the regimen.

This is what I was hoping to hear, thanks a ton.

Yes, your skin will get used to it. I would def. recommend jojoba too.

Since you're only two weeks into the regimen I would say maybe lower the amount your using, until your skin improves a bit, and then slowwwwly begin to increase again.

After three or four months, if your face is completely clear (or wait until your face is completely clear, it can take longer), you can begin trying to adjust the regimen steps one at a time to see if they still work for you with less BP. For example, you can try applying a pump and a half each time, or begin eliminating one BP application in the day... whatever you want, but SLOWLY get into it. And give it a few weeks to see how your skin reacts. If you continue to stay clear, then you can probably get by on less BP. You can again try experimenting to see just how little BP you can use. But, again, I caution, do it slowly. That way, if you start breaking out again, you will know exactly how much BP you need to stay clear without having to freak out and start all over again!

I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all by the way, so I'm sorry if I do! This is just what I've seen on the board with other people, and my own experience. I can do one application of BP at night and be fine without dry skin or bad breakouts. Any less though... and hello, pimple town! Also, I still always do the other regimen steps the way Dan describes them.

Jojoba oil really helped me. I didn't think it was doing much because I still found my face flaky. I'm going onto my second month on the regiment and I've finally conquered the flaky dryness. Someone recommended on here to just rub (lightly/gently) with jojoba oil to remove the flakes. I find that it works best after showering since I like hot showers and hot showers tend to dry out skin... I just rub gently in circles until I feel the flakes coming off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes just to moisturize into the pores. Then I wash it off with my cleanser, add my BP, and moisturize with another few drops of BP.

This got me through my 2 to 3 week phase of dryness and now I'm doing much better with it!

Hope it helps!

:)