Notifications
Clear all

Exoderm

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 07/28/2004 8:21 pm

Hi everyone, im having exoderm done in one week for my acne scars and i still do have some chronic adult acne, ill be 22 in august. Has anyone had this done? What kind of improvement can i get in my scars and how does exoderm help acne? thanks

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/28/2004 9:41 pm

hi why me! i am actually considering exoderm for myself, an will be scheduling a consult with dr rullan in ca soon. I wasnt aware that it helps acne, does it really? I dont know much about it, but everything i have read says its great for acne scarring, an really improves the look of skin. keep us posted! i cant wait to hear about your results

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 07/28/2004 10:34 pm

hi sadcaroline...from some websites ive seen for exoderm, under the indications for the treatment it says acne....i was wondering how that is? But ive also heard acne is less severe after a deep phenol peel too

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/28/2004 10:38 pm

interesting! i bet it would help.. i have really high hopes for exoderm, its definitely the way i wanna go.. would you mind if i keep in touch with you? just out of curiousity, who are you going to? dr rullan? an do u know if it helps redmarks? i have so many, an dr rullans nurse told me is does, but you never know.. hehe

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 07/28/2004 10:44 pm

im going to dr wiliams in colorado....it is supposed to get rid of all red marks. I would be glad to keep in touch with you....i too have EXTREMELY high hopes for it...bc if it isnt the answer for me i kinda feel like why even live, ya know? Basically im not even alive anyway, as i just do standard biological needs everyday but i have had no joy in my life the past 6 years. Anyway, enough of that but id be glad to keep in touch.

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/28/2004 11:10 pm

i can totally relate, these marks are awful.. ugh... just out of curiosity, do you know a woman named marcia cromwell? (i think thats her name, really nice lady who had exoderm i think by the same doc you are going to) i actually found her on the internet, an emailed her questions about her exoderm, an she mentioned a young friend of hers who is having exoderm next week.. an she gave me his email addy to ask him questions about it, im wondering if that is you? that would be a crazy coincidence! hehee smile.gif -caroline

MemberMember
(@agua2004)

Posted : 07/29/2004 1:26 am

Isn't this like a phenol peel? If it is, your skin will never be able to tan again and you will have a permanent pale skin tone. Are you sure, you want to do it?

Also, according to this site, phenol peels MAY (only may) improve superficial scars. Anyway, good luck if you finally do it.

http://www.infoplasticsurgery.com/phenolpeel.html

MemberMember
(@healtysceptic)

Posted : 07/29/2004 1:32 am

Hi everyone, im having exoderm done in one week for my acne scars and i still do have some chronic adult acne, ill be 22 in august. Has anyone had this done? What kind of improvement can i get in my scars and how does exoderm help acne? thanks
MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/29/2004 2:19 am

i think why me was just curious as to what results people on here have gotten with it, because no matter what his doctor says, everyone is going to have a slightly different result, as noone reacts the same. i dont think there is a need to use the tone you used james sad.gif. we all are dealing with tough situations, and he needs support. his questions were very valid, i personally will probably have this procedure done, and no matter what my doctor tells me about it, i will definitely search the internet even more for people who have done this. Because in my opinion, when having an invasive procedure done, you DO need to talk to your doctor extensively, but equally important, i think you should find out results from people who have actually had the procedure. Because the reality is some doctors dont tell it like it really is sometimes. And people that have had the procedure done usually will give up front honest opinions, when there are a few doctors out there who will make false promises, causing a patient to get in an even worse situation. -caroline

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/29/2004 2:23 am

ohh and to why me, are u just having the peel portion, or are u doing both the phenol peel and the chemobrasion?

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 07/29/2004 8:17 am

james, i live far enough away that my consultation is one day before the procedure, hence i havent talked to the doctor yet. sadcaroline, yes i am the one who has talked to marcia, so a strange coincedence indeed. smile.gif

MemberMember
(@healtysceptic)

Posted : 07/29/2004 8:54 am

james, i live far enough away that my consultation is one day before the procedure, hence i havent talked to the doctor yet. sadcaroline, yes i am the one who has talked to marcia, so a strange coincedence indeed. smile.gif
MemberMember
(@robert)

Posted : 07/29/2004 2:03 pm

whyme?:

Exoderm is often the procedure of last resort for people with severe pitted scarring. It basically liquifies your skin and turns it to goo. If you only have red marks it is NOT the way to go. TCA and other products will help with red marks over time.

Are your scars pitted?

Exoderm (phenol) is major trauma to the skin. Your skin may turn white (i.e. pale) and stay that way.

MemberMember
(@rossignol)

Posted : 07/29/2004 2:35 pm

Hi Whyme,

I agree with all the above posters - I think you should SERIOUSLY consider this procedure before going through with it. I think it is wrong of your consultant to leave it until the day before for a full consultation - he/she may even decide that your scarring would not benefit a great deal from exoderm.

Exoderm is one of the most invasive skin procedures out there, and it will change your skin forever - although it may get rid of some scarring, it will mean you have to wear high factor sunblock constantly for the rest of your life and you may look permanently pale, as others have pointed out.

Also, exoderm was not developed as a procedure to help scarring. It is essentially an extremely invasive anti-ageing procedure for the facelift crew ( wink.gif ) in LA - it may not actually help your scarring a great deal.

It is only my opinion from what you have said, but I think you might be better off looking into procedures that are less invasive and that more people have had success with, such as needling, smoothbeam, subcision, and possibly even dermabrasion (this also helps with active acne).

What is your actual scarring like?

I've found some links that may be of interest to you:

Here's a highly detailed thread documenting a posters experience with the exoderm procedure - he had a positive experience but it gives you an idea of how serious the procedure is: http://www.clearskin.net/viewtopic.php?t=9...ghlight=exoderm

Here's a thread about dermabrasion: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...hl=dermabrasion

Here's a very informative smoothbeam thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...0&hl=smoothbeam

-both these procedures are supposed to be good for a combination of active acne and scarring, which it sounds like you have.

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL! Good luck, and let us know how you get on. smile.gif

MemberMember
(@falnhart)

Posted : 07/29/2004 3:14 pm

The website states that exoderm, or whatever this peel, is only benefical to "superficial scarring." It's most effective for wrinkles than scarring, the less deep scarring.

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 07/29/2004 4:54 pm

thanks for the replies...however i have no choice, i have to do it. You can mess around the rest of your life trying to find a "milder" or "less invasive" procedure to work. Personally, ive wasted enough of my life and want to get this over with. As far as forever changing my skin, thats the whole idea isnt it? Living the way i am now is no way to go through life, and as hard as i try to change that lifestyle it just wouldnt ever be what it could be without acne scars. As far as most effective treatment out there for acne scarring is the exoderm lift. I think many of you are overreacting about the procedure. It is much safer than the traditional phenol peel(exoderm has a buffered version) and the redness is gone much quicker. Combined with the chemoabrasion, no other one procedure with give such drastic results in one procedure. Ive had three thermage procedures on my scars which has helped somewhat but it doesnt get rid of the problem and takes time. Im sick of wasting my life looking for the easy route out of scarring. This is the way to go, i think.

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 07/29/2004 5:52 pm

i know most of you mentioned the pale skin side effect of it. Honestly that is kinda why im looking into exoderm, i have a skin disease on my face that causes bad hyperpigmentation (melasma) and also i am VERY pale.. white really... my goal is to hopefully get my skin to the point where it can no longer produce excess melanin, because as of now, its crazy over melanin sad.gif

MemberMember
(@robert)

Posted : 07/29/2004 6:03 pm

Okay, well, you obviously have deep scarring. I thought you only had red marks. Exoderm can help with mid- to deep-scarring. There was a guy over on www.voy.com who had an Exoderm peel done and saw very good results on his deep scars. Yes, it's marketed as a chemical face lift, but many people use it for scars with success. It's not a miracle cure, but for people in very deep depression or especially for those contemplating suicide, it may be the right choice.

One person's experience:

http://asgic.proboards26.com/index.cgi?boa...&num=1085336604

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 07/29/2004 8:34 pm

I did a search for "exoderm" on this board and here are the topics:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...ighlite=exoderm

I would recommend you read them before going through with the procedure. As with all scar treatments, some treatments work better than others. You need to weigh all your options and decide what's best for you. Read as much as you can about the procedure so that you don't have any regrets that you did it in the future.

MemberMember
(@rossignol)

Posted : 08/03/2004 7:18 pm

Hi all,

I have added some info about exoderm to the FAQ at the top of the board, so if anyone is interested in the procedure or would merely like to find out more, it is well worth following the links and having a peruse. smile.gif Be warned, though, they do give it the hard sell on the exoderm website!

Best wishes

Paul

MemberMember
(@autom8ed)

Posted : 08/06/2004 11:16 am

I remember a girl who posted a while back .. (SanJose Skin) or something like that who said Exoderm essentially gave her her life back. I was thinking of going for a consultation but it wasn't free and was very far.. (in San Diego)

However, I can't imagine it can be that invasive when the recovery time I was given by Dr. Rullans nurse was 8 DAYS!! This is about the length of time it takes for a TCA peel to run its course. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm tempted to do this procedure myself since much of my acne goes away when I pull my ears back and tighten my facial skin just a bit.

$3800 was the price I was quoted. Seems expensive. Plus you have to get a room close to his office for a couple days while eat thru a straw.

Whyme, I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. If you do go through with it, please post your experience / results here.

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 08/06/2004 12:01 pm

Hey everyone...i went through with exoderm and got my second mask on today. I was put out but after the procedure the doctor told my mom that i will see a drastic improvement and will be very happy with the results. He also told her that after he took the first mask off(today), before he reapplied the solution some of my scars were already gone. So it sounds like it worked really well for me. Now i just have to sit back and relax until next friday when the mask comes off.

MemberMember
(@agua2004)

Posted : 08/06/2004 12:12 pm

Good luck whyme. I hope it will work for you as you want to. Relax and have fun. Do they have a dvd player at your hotel room? Wishes for the best.

MemberMember
(@a_beavhotmail-com)

Posted : 08/06/2004 12:45 pm

the doctor told my mom that i will see a drastic improvement and will be very happy with the results. He also told her that after he took the first mask off(today), before he reapplied the solution some of my scars were already gone.
MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 08/06/2004 1:57 pm

It was dr williams in colorado...very caring doc with an excellent staff, they truly want the best for you. I hope everyone stops wasting their time, money, and life with the noninvasive procedures. Exoderm is much more effective than c02 and is much safer thatn dermabrasion. I think i have rolling scars but im not sure. I brought my little tv with a dvd player built into it. I really would love to see you all say the hell with all the crap that doesnt work and go get exoderm.