Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

okay i cannot be the only one with this problem before i get into it here a brief history:

ive tried everything; creams, foams, washes, presciption, non, birth control, and minocycline..which by the way is a death sentence :evil:i now have vasculitis and RA for life which thankfully is in remission due to chemotherapy and enbrel my miracle drugs...as much as i would love to tell you all about what minocyline did to my body now is not the time. i have a present situation which is quite problematic

I have been on taking claravis(accutane) since may 13 2010, 60 mg daily. im on week 8 and my acne is GONE. I have suffered from acne since i was 12 whiteheads blackheads pustles and papules mostly on my forehead and cheeks. MY BACK (and i mean all of it from the top of my neck to my but)is full of those as well as hard and painful cysts about the size of pencil erasers. i am on week 8 and my acne is GONE! I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO DRYNESS(except for my eyes the burning is sometimes hard to deal with). my skin is normal now but....

heres the problem: my skin is shiny. not oily not dry. just shiny but finally normal. before i had so much oil i could wipe my forehead with the back of my hand and use it as a mirror. i would have to do this every 30 minutes it was ridiculous. nonetheless i still look like a walking glowstick.

the shine:WHY is this so? WHAT can I do to help it? and WILL it ever go away?

i understand that its due to some high skin cell turnover rate or something like that but nobosy else seems to have this problem. I am hoping someone has the answers becase I have seachred far and wide with absolutely no luck.

**let me be clear i was in no way a mild case. my acne 'got used' to everything i treated it with. ive been having this problem for 9 years.

Edited by twenty

The only thing I can suggest is to moisturize like crazy. Even though you said your skin is not dry, it's still lacking the thin film of sebum to keep it from being so shiny. That's the only recommendation I have, but perhaps someone else knows another tip. Welcome to Acne.org by the way. :)

Im dealing w/ the same thing. Well, Im not clear (not even close), but am dealing w/ the shiny issue. I used to be an oil slick. Now, I dont have any oil but it looks like my face is perspiring all the time due to this sheen going on. I wrote about in my log. I look like a waxed apple, or like I have clear shoe polish on. No idea what it is. I havent been able to find an answer

Thanks Siava! Perhaps I'll try moisturizing but I'm deathly afraid to use anything with oil in it for fear mine will come back trigger happy.

Im dealing w/ the same thing. Well, Im not clear (not even close), but am dealing w/ the shiny issue. I used to be an oil slick. Now, I dont have any oil but it looks like my face is perspiring all the time due to this sheen going on. I wrote about in my log. I look like a waxed apple, or like I have clear shoe polish on. No idea what it is. I havent been able to find an answer

goodz19: yes! thats exactly what i look like as well! all i know is that it has something to do with a high skin cell turnover rate ...you can google it i guess but it doesn't explain much to me

i feel like nobody else has this problem! its so aggravating!

There have been a few posts by people with the same situation. Moisturizing makes the shine worse for me, at this point i'm hoping it just fixes its self