Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_FairyDust_

Do some fruits cause acne?

Lately I've been reading that fruits tend to make acne worse, and I feel like crying at that thought, because fruit is basically all I eat that's sweet. And if I can't even eat fruit, I don't know just what I'll do. Please, does anyone know if that's true?

i've heard oranges do and other citrus fruits..not sure why tho

Don't worry. If you're healthy, have a proper insulin response and no allergies to certain fruits, you can have your fruit. Just avoid dried fruits. Citrus fruits do not cause acne, unless you're allergic to them. Most people can handle them just fine. If you have a feeling that certain fruits cause you to break out, then simply avoid them for a while and see if that helps.

Why don't you just cut out fruit for a week or two, and see if it makes a difference? (You'd also have to cut out high fructose corn syrup, which requires reading ingredient labels).

In the meantime, get your sugar fix from regular table sugar. Like a teaspoon added to a bowl of otherwise-healthy cereal, or sweetened soy milk (or soy ice cream).

My two cents: there IS a connection between fructose and acne. At least for me.

Why don't you just cut out fruit for a week or two, and see if it makes a difference? (You'd also have to cut out high fructose corn syrup, which requires reading ingredient labels).

In the meantime, get your sugar fix from regular table sugar. Like a teaspoon added to a bowl of otherwise-healthy cereal, or sweetened soy milk (or soy ice cream).

My two cents: there IS a connection between fructose and acne. At least for me.

I'd hope she already cut out high fructose corn syrup & processed junk or else there is no point in even trying to point the finger at fruit.

Lately I've been reading that fruits tend to make acne worse, and I feel like crying at that thought, because fruit is basically all I eat that's sweet. And if I can't even eat fruit, I don't know just what I'll do. Please, does anyone know if that's true?

After awhile, you don't even miss sweet stuff. It's kinda sad actually. I've forgotten the taste but I wouldn't go too extreme as I am avoiding sugar for reasons other than acne. Don't take this too over the edge unless you are DYING to get rid of your acne. Just do trial and error of eliminating certain fruits and re-introducing them into your diet. You might find a trigger fruit and then you can stop eating it.

Edited by CheyCheyenne

I would not recommend table sugar as it is not good for you. In order for it to metabolize, it draws vitamins and minerals from your body. It can also raise insulin levels.

Try sticking to low sugar fruits like berries, kiwi and papaya in moderation if you are concerned.

I've read that watermelon is very good for fighting off acne. If you just look up "watermelon acne" you will see all of the links that say watermelon is beneficial to your skin. I personally love watermelon so I eat it all the time, but I haven't really noticed a change in my skin when I eat it more often.