Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shirley54321

I finally got rid of my acne

I'm almost 25, and I have had moderate to severe acne for over 10 years, and it's finally gone away in the past month.

I felt like I had tried everything -- antibiotics, teas, honey, different cleansers, masks, twice a day gently with the benzoyl peroxide, nothing worked. I had been using ortho-tricyclen in previous months and it did help some. I have a feeling my hormones are wacky.

I wasn't even really trying, I had basically given up, but it really started going away in the past month or two, and there have been two notable changes in my habits:

1) I stopped drinking coffee. Instead I've been drinking black tea. I read in a book about acne that coffee was bad for acne -- not because of caffeine, but because of other properties which cause inflammation.

2) I finally started washing with a washcloth in the shower, once a day, with Ivory soap. I don't know why, but I wasn't exfoliating regularly at all, and it occurs to me that there was probably a lot of dead skin on my face. I do wear makeup so this is probably pretty important. I don't know whether or not the Ivory soap made a difference, but it might have.

Other things that I found to be important in acne management and cause less breakouts were basic self-care things that I couldn't always seem to do:

- sleeping enough (always broke out when I didn't sleep)

- eating well, more fresh veggies and fruits

- clean pillowcases

- wash my hair regularly (greasy hair caused breakouts)

I'm so relieved, I wanted to share my experience. I'd be interested to know if these things will work or have worked for other people.

I'm almost 25, and I have had moderate to severe acne for over 10 years, and it's finally gone away in the past month.

I felt like I had tried everything -- antibiotics, teas, honey, different cleansers, masks, twice a day gently with the benzoyl peroxide, nothing worked. I had been using ortho-tricyclen in previous months and it did help some. I have a feeling my hormones are wacky.

I wasn't even really trying, I had basically given up, but it really started going away in the past month or two, and there have been two notable changes in my habits:

1) I stopped drinking coffee. Instead I've been drinking black tea. I read in a book about acne that coffee was bad for acne -- not because of caffeine, but because of other properties which cause inflammation.

2) I finally started washing with a washcloth in the shower, once a day, with Ivory soap. I don't know why, but I wasn't exfoliating regularly at all, and it occurs to me that there was probably a lot of dead skin on my face. I do wear makeup so this is probably pretty important. I don't know whether or not the Ivory soap made a difference, but it might have.

Other things that I found to be important in acne management and cause less breakouts were basic self-care things that I couldn't always seem to do:

- sleeping enough (always broke out when I didn't sleep)

- eating well, more fresh veggies and fruits

- clean pillowcases

- wash my hair regularly (greasy hair caused breakouts)

I'm so relieved, I wanted to share my experience. I'd be interested to know if these things will work or have worked for other people.

Congratulations on whatever helped you! :)

I drink coffee every morning with no negative effects. At the age of 35 my acne went away, and I think I just finally outgrew it, because 22 years of trying everything did nothing to help it, then it just went away and hasn't come back. I'm almost 38 now. I do think that exfoliating helps to keep dead skin out and other junk out of the pores.

Nah mate what's important to remember that acne treatments are specific to each person. What might work for one person might be another. Your body might not mind the lack of sleep or the large amount of caffeine, while Shirley here is very sensitive to both areas. This is the reason why there are thousands of different "treatments" for acne.

Good luck Shirley!!