Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paparazzi25

Does Accutane have any other uses besides treating acne?

I'm just wondering. Accutane is definitely a VERY serious and heavy drug. Even though i do think acne is a serious issue after dealing with it for years (I am currently on Dan's Regimen and although it works WONDERS I get lazy and take too much time out of the day using it) but still it seems pretty heavy for an issue like Acne. I read somewhere (although I forgot exactly what it said) that Accutane was originally made for people with cancer, so I was confused how cancer relates to acne at all. anyways does Accutane have any other uses?

First of all to stop any confusion, isotretinoin = Accutane. Now that this is out of the way..

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin

"Isotretinoin (INN) (pronounced /ˌaɪsoʊtrɨˈtɪnɵʊɨn/[1]) is a medication used for the treatment of severe acne. It was first developed to be used as a chemotherapy medication for the treatment of brain cancer, pancreatic cancer and more. It is still used in the treatment of these cancers to this day because of its ability to kill rapidly dividing cells. The effects of the medication are systemic and non-selective."

And to answer your question of how accutane works for both acne and cancer, and what the two have in common.. Accutane (or isotretinoin) being taken for cancer has the main goal of stopping/slowing cell division in the cancerous area. It has much the same idea when being taken for acne, except the super oily skin (acne areas) takes the place of cancer obviously and the main goal instead is to stop bacteria and oils from multiplying thus resulting in clear skin. And when oil production/bacteria (the stuff that clogs your pores and causes the acne) gets shut down by accutane and can no longer multiply/divide enough to plug it up; the follicles in the acne area no longer are blocked off/clogged, your skin can now breathe, and the acne goes away as result. Theres a really basic way of describing it.

Accutane or Isotretinoin is a relatively new way to help control/treat cancer and is actually a much lighter cancer medication when compared to other types of cancer treatments or chemotherapy. Lots of people see accutane as a scary harmful drug, and when they hear it they think of chemo and hair loss but to be honest Accutane is "childs play" compared to other chemo cancer treatments and is actually much more natural. Also, when taken for cancer isotretinoin is taken as a pill and not through a needle into the bloodstream (IV).

I really wouldn't compare accutane to the other more conventional methods of treating cancer.

Edited by Jxr

First of all to stop any confusion, isotretinoin = Accutane. Now that this is out of the way..

Haha, thank you for stating the obvious,,, anyways thank you so much for taking the time to explain that. Also, I just read your regimen in the signature. I am curious as to why you are not using moisturizers, lip balms, or anything during Accutane. I mean I imagine how dry dry dry you are. So I am just wondering

Haha, thank you for stating the obvious,,, anyways thank you so much for taking the time to explain that. Also, I just read your regimen in the signature. I am curious as to why you are not using moisturizers, lip balms, or anything during Accutane. I mean I imagine how dry dry dry you are. So I am just wondering

I'm actually using lip moisturizer now, haha. I staying on accutane for like the first month and a half or so without using it just to see if I could... And my lips got to the point where they were so damaged and hurting I had to start using it.

Now while using stuff for my lips they are just fine :) I just haven't yet gotten around to revising my signature and bringing it "up to date."

And you are very welcome as well for the explanation!