Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jchattra

Stop after 4 months? Or continue with 5th?

Hi, I have been taking accutane (30mg 2 times a day) for 3 1/2 months now, and I havent had a breakout in a long time. My doctor has planned for me to be on the drug for 5 months. However, I am sick of the side effects, meaning some pain and peeling, and just the general knowledge that I am on a very strong drug. Also, I haven't been perfect on it, and I have drank some (way less than usual, but still), and I simply want to get off the medication as fast as possible.

I didn't have TERRIBLE acne to begin with, but my skin just didn't respond to anything else. If I ask to stop after 4 months (meaning 2 weeks), will it make a huge impact? Im 21 already, so Id assume that my acne will most likely be permanently done soon if the drug helps in the slightest. Will the extra month make a big enough difference (in that I haven't had a breakout since the end of month 1) to warrant taking it, or can I possibly get away with only taking accutane for the 4 month minimum?

I'd do the extra month, to make sure your acne has a lower chance of returning in the future. I just started and my derm put my on 8 months, but if I'm clear in like 4-5 months I'd probably end it at 6-7

I'd do the extra month, to make sure your acne has a lower chance of returning in the future. I just started and my derm put my on 8 months, but if I'm clear in like 4-5 months I'd probably end it at 6-7

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? My doctor wrote me a prescription for a 5th month, but I'm very hesitant on having it filled. My skin is more or less completely clear, and I am getting worried about the health effects, meaning my right side where my liver is feels sore more often, I have muscle pains, sun sensitivity and I just generally want the peace of mind of going off the drug.

HOWEVER, I have taken it for four months, so if the fifth month is EXTREMELY critical in determining whether or not acne comes back, it would be a mistake to stop early. My skin was not that bad to begin with, just on face, and I have been pretty clear since the 2nd month.

Why is the accutane minimum four months if it is not okay to come off of it after four months? If anyone could provide insight so I can weigh the positives and negatives Id really appreciate it.

Your derm has more experence than we do. If you come off it now, you can have a chance of your acne coming back a week from now, theres no real way to know. I'm on like 16 days of accutane right now and im like 80% I should be clear in a month, that doesn't mean I'll do only 2 months because I'm clear already. I'd rather stay clear for a long time, or forever. I'd stick with it to increase my chances.

Your derm has more experence than we do. If you come off it now, you can have a chance of your acne coming back a week from now, theres no real way to know. I'm on like 16 days of accutane right now and im like 80% I should be clear in a month, that doesn't mean I'll do only 2 months because I'm clear already. I'd rather stay clear for a long time, or forever. I'd stick with it to increase my chances.

While that is true, just because he has a degree does not mean that fully knows best. Another doctor may have only prescribed me to be on it for the minimum 4 months, and another may have been uncomfortable putting me on accutane to begin with. And, I really think it is unlikely for acne to come back in a week after being on the drug for four months, however, maybe I am wrong with that. I too want to be clear forever, I think everyone does, but I worry that being on the drug will negatively impact my body for the long term, not just simply acne. And if theres any chance that 4 months will keep me clear indefinitely, then obviously I want to stop taking it.

Has anyone had success taking accutane for the minimum of four months? Or do doctors almost always prescribe 5 months or more? Right now I am considering getting the prescription filled but then taking it for 2 more weeks rather than a whole month.

you should stay on it, the blood test should tell you if your having any problems with liver and etc. also you need a total commulated dose. if your taking a a large amount of milligrams then it can be done in a shorter amount of time. if you have a less amount of milligrams it lasts longer. so make sure you stay on what your doctor suggest. or get oppinoin from antoher derm asap

Alright it seems that generally everyone thinks I should do a 5th month. I just do not understand why the minimum is 4 months if they prescribe 5 month minimums? I've been on 30mg 2x daily for 60 mgs a day, for 4 months, and my skin was not THAT bad to begin with. I think I am going to settle on the 2 more week compromise.

Do the extra month. I stopped at 3 1/2 months on an original 5 month treatment when I had clear skin, perfect skin. And the acne came back. Your acne most likely come back even after the fifth month, but your sebaceous glands will fare much better after an extra month. Maybe you can down the dosage or frequency for the last month if you are sick of the side effects. Instead of cutting off the last month and asking your derm, ask to lower the dosage or frequency.