Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jreed2113

Is it really that unattractive?

I have two guy friends with acne scarring..I wouldn't say it was terrible but it's not all that mild either. (Note: I'm a girl) Anyways, they're always telling me how they think that they look so unattractive and how no girl would want to go near them. We're all teenagers, around 15 and 16, so their self esteem is pretty low.

I honestly don't think that acne scarring is that unattractive at all..it doesn't make too much of a difference to me, and that's what I always tell them, but they don't listen. Am i alone on this? Does acne scarring really make guys that unattractive?

I don't find it unattractive on men at all.. It adds to the "rugged masculine" kind of feel. ha ha. Women on the otherhand, who are supposed to have flawless and perfect skin, I do find it unattractive.. well, at least on myself..

Edited by jen0489x

Its unattractive on males and females, but more so on females. I have severe scarring and i think girls with even moderate scarring look hideous.

Its unattractive on males and females, but more so on females. I have severe scarring and i think girls with even moderate scarring look hideous.

ouch!! Really I don't think we women with scars look hideous.

Yes you do. I wouldnt touch a girl with a 10ft pole if her scars were half as bad as mine...it just looks extra bad on them...they dont look feminine.

Yes you do. I wouldnt touch a girl with a 10ft pole if her scars were half as bad as mine...it just looks extra bad on them...they dont look feminine.

Actually one of the most beautiful women I know has scarring, and no I'm not talking about myself. She is so pretty that she is actually a model with scarring go fiqure.

firstly your not going to get a straight response and an honest one by asking people on this site, of course the replys are going to be all nice and 'friendly you'll be fine' and all that. well here isnt the real world, and people arnt all like this..

secondly it depends on how bad the scaring is surely, what's more attractive, clear smooth skin vs scared sking (from anywhere mild to severe) is just going to end up one answer... smooth skin every day of the week, no matter who you are.

soo yeah, there you go, scars blow..

Oh... wow. People like you are what makes me so depressed about my scarring. Thank you!

Oh... wow. People like you are what makes me so depressed about my scarring. Thank you!

you have next to none scaring lily, you'll be more then fine seriously, you just need to open your eyes! and anyway i think its better if people on here are more honest with what they really think.

you have next to none scaring lily, you'll be more then fine seriously, you just need to open your eyes! and anyway i think its better if people on here are more honest with what they really think.

I know people in the real world sure as hell notice it. I should say I haven't posted any pictures of my scarring lately. And the ones already posted, I did not post any showing the right side of my face which is bad. And has gotten worse. But thanks

I know at least two people, in real life, with noticeable scarring (a man and a woman) each in, as far as I can tell, loving marriages with attractive spouses (not each other).

Scarring may make you less attractive to people who choose their mates solely based on how closely they resemble models in magazines, but

a. many people really don't notice scarring as much as we do

b. scarring does not make you less worthy of love and the ones that are worth it will know that

How men and women choose our mates is different. This is fact.

Women want men who can take care of them and provide for their offspring. The most attractive CORE elements in men are power and status.

Men want women who display they are highly fertile and would thus produce healthy offspring. The CORE element in this is physical beauty.

Is is a disadvantage for a man to have acne scars however it can be overcome with enough power and status. For a woman it is a HUGE disadvantage as beauty is her key point in attracting a mate.

Think of it like this. Most men would prefer to marry a beautiful sales assistant over a plain female doctor.

Most women would choose the ordinary looking male doctor to marry over the handsome shop assistant.

Wow I'm already down and you just helped bring me down more. But I guess at least your being honest.

acne and acne scars are unattractive in general (doesnt matter with gender). That's why everyone hates it and that's why we're all here : (

thanks! to be honest, i really think dermarolling is going to plateau in scar improvements (after a while)-meaning.. i doubt i'll keep getting 15% improvement everytime I dermaroll. I think then its time for me to search for different procedure from plastic surg/dermatologists to further the improvments. Thanks for the support! : )

What 1950's bunker did you crawl out of? Seriously, according to your antiquated fact 95% of the population would not mate.

Adam is correct. This is not really the best place to ask that question- not because people here will be "too nice" but because people on here are so hyper sensitive (myself included) about skin issues.

Some can't deal with their own skin challenges and hate/ are disgusted by anyone that reminds them of something they dislike in themselves.

I think in the "real world" most people don't care about someone else's scarring.

Go read Fraz's post "is acne scarring really that bad". Much, Much more positive and realisitc.

Just FYI, Negativity doesn't equate honesty.

How men and women choose our mates is different. This is fact.

Women want men who can take care of them and provide for their offspring. The most attractive CORE elements in men are power and status.

Men want women who display they are highly fertile and would thus produce healthy offspring. The CORE element in this is physical beauty.

Is is a disadvantage for a man to have acne scars however it can be overcome with enough power and status. For a woman it is a HUGE disadvantage as beauty is her key point in attracting a mate.

Think of it like this. Most men would prefer to marry a beautiful sales assistant over a plain female doctor.

Most women would choose the ordinary looking male doctor to marry over the handsome shop assistant.

Edited by neuroticwaif

Adam is correct. This is not really the best place to ask that question- not because people here will be "too nice" but because people on here are so hyper sensitive (myself included) about skin issues.

I completely agree. Well said.

EDIT: Yeah, Adam, I do agree with you that they are too nice/empathetic as well. I was directing it more towards the bolded part..

Edited by HereComesTheSun:)

mostly bullshit, that only accounts for so much.. i can be the nicest person ever, its not going to change a thing..

good day.

and yes it is really unattractive, for some more then others, depending on how bad it is.

I completely agree. Well said.

:hifive:

well that and they are to nice.

There are differences in severity of situations that will lead to differences in level of attractiveness.

There are more traits than just facial skin condition that influence attractiveness.

For both men and women having a great body DOES make a difference.

Women with moderate acne scarring will still attract mates if they are in good shape. I do believe that to be true.

I think the scarring getting better with time is a tough argument...but I think in general scarring CAN improve in time with topical retinoids because your skin is constantly renewing itself over time.

You lose collagen over time but if your scarring looks worse now because of discoloration etc....things like that will get better in time. It won't be overnight and it will take a while but it will improve.

As far as scar therapy I think the only things that should really be done are things that have a positive risk to reward ratio meaning, take small steps to improve the appearance. Don't go crazy and go radical.

As far as attractiveness I think it is generally agreed on that scarring is more noticeable on a female because of the nature of society...

However, that most women with proper makeup can significantly improve the way they look when they are out and about and will still attract mates in my opinion.

So in a way men can't really do this the same way so many would argue that men are at a disadvantage.

This is a long argument that nobody will really win.

In a word is scarring on the face unattractive? Yes

In many words will it stop you from being successful with the opposite sex? Yes...IF you let it.

I think sometimes and I am at war with myself on this one, that thinking and overanalyzing in different lights and always wondering about your scarring WILL make it worse than the scarring itself.

What if you could just move on and forget about it? It would still be there but at least it wouldn't mess with your head all the time.

That would be nice. I hope one day I can get to that point.

BTW, in my opinion someone who is always shy, and afraid of contact and always nervous will appear more unattractive regardless of scars. So if you are always afraid of the interaction with people and afraid they are looking you and judging you (which will happen scars or not) then you will only be hurting yourself and feel more unwanted.

And btw I've seen some people on here with minor scarring that think it's the end of the world. I am sure that every person thinks they have the worst scarring but some people do have serious issues and some people have minor issues.

So really take a look at yourself and say, is it really THAT bad? If the answer is no then I suggest you focus on more positive things and stop thinking about this.

If the answer is yes, then I suggest you think about it less and make a plan for safe improvement and slowly take that plan into action and regardless you should think about it less unless you are with doctors discussing it or whatever.