Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Self Conscious

Are Dermatologists Really Helpful?

I'm getting my benefits in about a months time. I want to make an appointment for the first day I receive those benefits. However, I find that some people on this website and other acne sufferers on the net seem to think dermatologists are pretty useless in most cases. Is this true?

I have tried a couple different things from this website, but there is just a hump I simply can't get over and would like professional help. :)

I've done some research and found a pretty well recommended one in my area.

Depends on how severe your acne is really. If you only have a few spots they may only say that it will pass in time, or give you some advice on prevention that you've probably already read about online. However if it's more severe or you've had it for several years they may prescribe some treatments not available over the counter eg. accutane.

Basically they're helpful, it's just the level of help they give you is dependent upon how bad your condition may be.

After Proactiv failed me miserably, I went to a derm. I was put on serious meds that over time helped a bit but were very harsh. The ends weren't really justified by the means for me.

However, my friend had worse acne than me and went to the derm and was prescribed accutane. His skin is now 100% clear while I am still struggling.

Ultimately, it really does depend what kind of acne you have and how sensitive your body is to different kinds of medication. It can't hurt to try! Good luck!

I figured I'd get answers like these. Thanks a ton for your answers!

My acne is pretty much just some redish scaring which is rash-like and one or two pimples a month. Also, my forehead has recently started breaking out. Otherwise, I'm ok.

I think I'm going to try and see what the derm tells me, but I really don't think I'd be willing to do a lot of things the doc requires of me. Such as topicals, or some harsh meds. Although, I'm willing if it makes sense for me.

It really does depend on who your dermatologist is. Only because I have a dermatologist also, and he isn't very helpful. He kind of listens to me, and then he doesn't. He thinks just because he's so "trained" in his field, that whatever he thinks is right, and not my opinion and thoughts on my own skin. I just feel like he isn't doing his job by listening to what I have to say first, before he puts his own thoughts out there after I'm done talking.

Just make sure you're very accurate and descriptive to make your dermatologist understand what type of problems and skin you have, or they're just going to end up throwing anything at you, hoping that it will work for you.

Remember, anything they do prescribe you, it's you that takes care of your skin, and not them :].

So don't be afraid to stand by what you know, and not to be so easily persuaded by what they say if it doesn't make sense to you.

I think it's worth a try, especially if you can find one with a good reputation! My derm helped me after countless doctors pretty much told me to 'get over it'.

It really does depend on who your dermatologist is. Only because I have a dermatologist also, and he isn't very helpful. He kind of listens to me, and then he doesn't. He thinks just because he's so "trained" in his field, that whatever he thinks is right, and not my opinion and thoughts on my own skin. I just feel like he isn't doing his job by listening to what I have to say first, before he puts his own thoughts out there after I'm done talking.

Just make sure you're very accurate and descriptive to make your dermatologist understand what type of problems and skin you have, or they're just going to end up throwing anything at you, hoping that it will work for you.

Remember, anything they do prescribe you, it's you that takes care of your skin, and not them :].

So don't be afraid to stand by what you know, and not to be so easily persuaded by what they say if it doesn't make sense to you.

Great reply. I'm definitely weary of the fact that sometimes physicians come off as know it all. Surely, they know more about the field than I would, but could they at least take ten minutes to listen up?

I'm going to take that advice and the rest here into consideration. I think I'll go and see a derm a couple times, but I'm not going to be hasty about what I do. Hopefully, he'll listen and together we can help me beat my acne. Together!