Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
underthisskin93

Is a guy's acne less unattractive than a females? Double Standard?

So I have acne, obviously since I'm on this site, and for some reason I find a guy with acne to be a whatever situation meaning that its as if he doesn't have acne cause he's a guy and guys don't obsess about their faces (well most guys). Am I the only one that thinks that a guy with acne isn't much of a big deal cause he's a guy? :think: I mean acne is unattractive on a male, female or lady gaga (love her :wub: going to her concert soon!) but when guys have it its almost like so what? I don't know if I'm making sense here but give me your thoughts!

Edited by underthisskin93

ummmmm acne is no attractive period it doesnt matter whos face it is on. I guess girls standards are diffrent due to how society has portrayed girls to be. Perfect skin mainly due to the heavy makeup many girls use and are kind of forced to have on to fit in with the rest. Guys are supposed to be tough and not care too much about how they look. But the truth is we do care....i mean i dont care if your the toughest guy on earth im sure hed much rather have clear skin then a face full of acne. Plus girls can be stuck up too and sometimes when a girl gives you that disgusted look which ive gotten before when i had really bad acne its a self-esteem killer big time. Doesnt really help when ur feeling down already

Guys care plenty about their looks and there are just as many shallow, beauty-obsessed females out there as there are males.

Honestly, I really don't care about other people's acne. It doesn't affect my view on them in any way because I've suffered and I still have the scars to show for that period in my life. I totally know what that person is going through so I don't look at anyone and think "eww." I've been in their position and I know what it's like. Acne is horrible for everyone :cry:

I know this might sound so cliche but one thing acne has truly taught me is to see beauty from the inside.

I see why you say this...I agree, for the most part.

I think that in general, a guy can look any kind of way and still be pretty popular or whatever...While girls may be criticized more..Not only do guys not find them to be attractive, but girls may mistreat "unattractive" girls as well.

I, personally, don't like to call ANYONE ugly, unattractive, or even pretty anyway.

I think guys with acne are a little more common, and since they can't really cover it up with makeup or whatever its more acceptable to society. However, when a girl gets acne it seems totally wrong because, of course, all women must have flawless skin and perfect bodies :(

acne makes everybody look ugly no matter how good looking they are.. I mean do you think girls will consider the popular soccer player christiano ronaldo to be attractive if he had acne? NO! acne is a terrible thing to have. It basically takes away your confidence and makes you insecure about yourself. Acne can affect the weak minded people. THANK GOD I'm not weak minded(meaning I don't think about killing myself)...

no homo on the christiano example BTW

As a girl I feel a lot of pressure to have clear skin, mainly because that's how women are portrayed in society-- watch any movie or tv show and I guarantee the main female characters will have near flawless skin. I imagine men feel the same way, but I don't think that there's the same amount of pressure to have the "perfect face," you know what I mean? Women are held up to impossible standards-- we are supposed to be thin and beautiful with perfect, blemish and wrinkle free skin. When men have lines or scars on their face it's considered a sign of "character," whereas women are seen as less desirable. So I don't know. I know that guys are just as affected as acne, but I do think that in a way it's more "acceptable" if a man doesn't have perfect skin. That's the way I see it, anyway.

acne makes everybody look ugly no matter how good looking they are.. I mean do you think girls will consider the popular soccer player christiano ronaldo to be attractive if he had acne? NO! acne is a terrible thing to have. It basically takes away your confidence and makes you insecure about yourself. Acne can affect the weak minded people. THANK GOD I'm not weak minded(meaning I don't think about killing myself)...

LOL I would take Christiano Ronaldo with acne any day (sorry I am annoying)

;)

lol I love the Ronaldo comments.

The comments are really helpful but thank god I'm a girl and I can wear really good makeup while these antibiotics kick in for the meanwhile :)

I don't think acne makes ANYONE ugly. What makes someone ugly is a myriad of personality traits in my eyes.

I don't think either sex has it worse off over the other. Plus, why does it matter? Unless you are going to switch genders in the near future, it doesn't have an impact on your life.

umm i don't think so at all... i knew quite a few extremelyyy cute guys i would LOVE to date that have some acne... and trust i definately take looks into account! If anything i always thought it was the other way around =\

Edited by insidemyhead27

So I have acne, obviously since I'm on this site, and for some reason I find a guy with acne to be a whatever situation meaning that its as if he doesn't have acne cause he's a guy and guys don't obsess about their faces (well most guys). Am I the only one that thinks that a guy with acne isn't much of a big deal cause he's a guy? :think: I mean acne is unattractive on a male, female or lady gaga (love her :wub: going to her concert soon!) but when guys have it its almost like so what? I don't know if I'm making sense here but give me your thoughts!

actually ive thought that many times myself... maybe its the unrealistic pressure fashion magazines put on women to have an air brushed looking face?

actually ive thought that many times myself... maybe its the unrealistic pressure fashion magazines put on women to have an air brushed looking face?

^^ agree completely with these posts.

It's the same thing with braces. Girls are expected to be perfect in every way while guys can just be themselves. I think guys often get worse cases of acne (probably because of testosterone), which sucks. Guys suffer just as much even if people might not point out their imperfections as much. Some guys don't seem to let it bother them (although it probably does) but I think people are often quicker to judge a girl with acne and consider it not that big of a deal if a guy has it.

to whoever made the comment about cristiano ronaldo, he actually has pretty bad acne. heres a picture:

and he still dates models

LOL I would take Christiano Ronaldo with acne any day (sorry I am annoying)

;)

is cristiano ronaldo not christiano ronaldo and he had acne and he wears shit load of makeup and like 3 gallons of gel for his hair.and he also tans like everyday so you cant notice his acne...if you google cristiano ronaldo when he was younger he had alot of acne and fucked up teeth he was a mess

I don't know about all this "Ronaldo having acne" stuff, but if he got a pimple for every time he flopped, he would be in Guinness for having "The Most Severe Acne of All-time".

Cristiano is so hot now! Whatever he had done to improve his looks.

And I treat ladies and gents who have acne the same way.. females do have more pressure to look good

I don't know about all this "Ronaldo having acne" stuff, but if he got a pimple for every time he flopped, he would be in Guinness for having "The Most Severe Acne of All-time".

:clap:

If guy's didn't care then there would be no guy's on this site

It's worse for men if anything because we can't wear make up to cover up

and it's more accepted for women because of there hormones.

Acne on girl's doesn't bother me much at all. It looks worse on guys.

That may be true for really young persons, I mean, teenagers. Mostly because teenagers are very much under the influence of stereotypes on appearance.

For adults, to the contrary, it is much more accepted for women to have acne. In fact, many men even think that acne in adult woman can be somehow attractive - maybe indeed because this is associated to women hormone.

Just look at it this way.

How many shows on TV, sitcoms, what have you, have a very average, slightly overweight man with an above-average looking thin woman at their side?

How many shows have the awkward looking dorky boy getting the hot girl?

Now how many overweight/average looking leading females are there?

And how many awkward looking dorky girls get the hot boy (without having to go through a makeover to make them more acceptable)?

From old Hollywood movies having simpering beautiful woman all over Kirk Douglas... right up to now in According to Jim... the women are beautiful, but the men can still make it in the business if they're overweight, unattractive, or flawed.

Women always have to be stick-thin flawless beautiful in tv, in movies, and then are expected to live up to these unrealistic stereotypes. Men have a touch of this, but not nearly as much.

Guest Timehealsall

to be honest, i have seen plenty of guys that have had pretty bad acne live life up to its fullest and they are pretty damn popular. I hate my acne because it makes me look so bad and the weird discoloration that comes with it. I am a guy, and from my experiences, i think it also depends on how you look naturally. For example, if your pretty masculine looking, than acne wont matter. But if you are already ugly as a guy, and you have a crap load of acne, from my experiences, you just get ignored. BUT obviously, girls have a worse standard living up to.